Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuchs education
Mark Henry
post Dec 19 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #41

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2017, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 18 2017, 09:23 PM) *

Flat, deep, hearts lets face it no one knows the difference except for porsche guys, in fact even non-P gear heads wouldn't notice the difference looking right at them.

That’s fine, I buy my 914 parts for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And that is fine, just stating they're all fine choices.
Just saying hearts and deeps command higher coin, where the flats will likely be easier to find, cheaper and few know the difference.

I knew about hearts because the VW bug guys wanted them due to them being narrower, but I didn't even know the difference of flat and deep six till after I got my flats.
Price I paid, actually part of a trade, was dirt cheap.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 19 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #42

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Alapone @ Dec 19 2017, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2017, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 18 2017, 09:23 PM) *

Flat, deep, hearts lets face it no one knows the difference except for porsche guys, in fact even non-P gear heads wouldn't notice the difference looking right at them.

That’s fine, I buy my 914 parts for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

A question for you guys who know the market, how much should I be looking to add in a trade for a set of 16s 6 and 7 for a set of 15x7?

I have had the 16s on for a couple years and 2.0l 15s before that. The car is just better suited to the 15 in wheel.

7x15 are still very desirable. I used to get a pair for $500, now its more like $750-1,000 in driver condition and X2 if they are refinished.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 24 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 17 2017, 10:07 PM) *

Thanks for all the feedback.....it's appreciated. The real 15" Fuchs have gotten crazy expensive the past couple of years, thats why I was considering replicas. I've also considered going to 16x6's as a couple of members have pointed out. I like the look of this car with 16's.

This car has 16 x 7 (951 prefix part number) in the rear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 25 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #44

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

951SN- 7 x 15 are the very same as a 911SN -7 x 15.

I have both in my shop and have taken measurements and they are the very same. Now 8 inch 951 in 15 look like 7 from the front side but are 8 inches wide.

I have pictures in my phone and have posted them here before

Bob B
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Dec 25 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 18,986

951 never came with 15" wheels; only 16"
944 non-turbo had 15" and optional 16"
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 25 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #46

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

You are right my friend. Brain fog. I just had my 65 birthday.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mph911
post Dec 25 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 21,419

I don't think you can beat 15x6 Fuchs (Flat or Deep) with a period correct 185/70.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 26 2017, 01:45 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 25 2017, 08:36 PM) *

You are right my friend. Brain fog. I just had my 65 birthday.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Attached Image Attached Image

Yep, the recessed lug bores gave it away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 26 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

These are Fuchs on 6 & 7's - my original car build. It was too much in the rear with the 225's - took allot of massaging. It ultimately fit but barely...contrary to the appearances, they did not rub. Also, I should have left this car this way - it was badass! Live and learn!

Tony

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cal
post Dec 26 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

I've traded a couple of emails with a fellow ESR member who's had the deep 6 Maxilite wheels on his SWB 911 for the past 4 years and loves them.....they look pretty damn good and they're lighter than Fuchs. He lives in Stuggart, Germany where the wheels are TUV approved with papers. For the short term it might be worth purchasing these until I find a reasonably priced set of real deep 6's.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 26 2017, 09:15 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

...and why not long-term? Unless you are entering concours...which maybe you intend too, what difference does it really make? Just a thought...

Tony
+Quote Post
Cal
post Dec 26 2017, 09:28 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 26 2017, 10:15 AM) *

...and why not long-term? Unless you are entering concours...which maybe you intend too, what difference does it really make? Just a thought...

Tony

You have a valid point.....if they're as good as I've heard there wouldn't be reason to get the real ones....
+Quote Post
sithot
post Dec 29 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 26 2017, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 26 2017, 10:15 AM) *

Tony

You have a valid point.....if they're as good as I've heard there wouldn't be reason to get the real ones....

Lots of choices too depending on your car(s).

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Dec 29 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Compare and contrast with the same car

Original Deep Sixes:

Attached Image

Flat Sixes:

Attached Image

I threw these on just before I sold the car as I wanted to keep the deep rims. Flats were repros, not sure what though. Rims themselves were ok, but paint masking not quite right

Same tyres on both rims, Pirelli P6000 195/65/15

Love the way 15" rims and slightly taller tyre fills the arches (personal preference)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 13 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 26 2017, 08:10 AM) *

I've traded a couple of emails with a fellow ESR member who's had the deep 6 Maxilite wheels on his SWB 911 for the past 4 years and loves them.....they look pretty damn good and they're lighter than Fuchs. He lives in Stuggart, Germany where the wheels are TUV approved with papers. For the short term it might be worth purchasing these until I find a reasonably priced set of real deep 6's.

@Cal

Jeff, is your friend still happy with his wheels, and did you buy a set? Thinking about going Maxilite for a set of 15x6 and 15x7 wheels…
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 13 2020, 05:01 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 14 2020, 10:03 AM) *

@Cal

Jeff, is your friend still happy with his wheels, and did you buy a set? Thinking about going Maxilite for a set of 15x6 and 15x7 wheels…

Pete you can't go wrong,very happy with the 16's I bought,nicely made and my tire guy (30yrs experience) was impressed with them,with new tyres they balanced with minimal weights.
Not sure about weight,I thought they were a bit heavier than genuine but not 100% on that.
I would prefer 15'' as I like the look better,the importer didn't have any 15's so got the 16's,needed wheels @ the time as my car was on space savers.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Sep 15 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #57

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 13 2020, 06:03 PM) *

@Cal

@horizontally-opposed
I never purchased the Maxilite rims....I ended up keeping the original fuchs on my car.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 15 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cal @ Sep 15 2020, 09:42 AM) *

@horizontally-opposed
I never purchased the Maxilite rims....I ended up keeping the original fuchs on my car.

Thanks, Jeff / @Cal!

Any chance you can check in with your friend to see how they're holding up a few years later?

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 13 2020, 04:01 PM) *

Pete you can't go wrong,very happy with the 16's I bought,nicely made and my tire guy (30yrs experience) was impressed with them,with new tyres they balanced with minimal weights.
Not sure about weight,I thought they were a bit heavier than genuine but not 100% on that.
I would prefer 15'' as I like the look better,the importer didn't have any 15's so got the 16's,needed wheels @ the time as my car was on space savers.

For pure function, I'd definitely go 16s—for the tire choices alone. Also like the look on some 914s. Sadly, I have the 15-inch bug when it comes to my own 914, so my choices are stick with the current deep 6s (likely) or move to a set of Maxilites with custom finishes. The motivation is a desire to mount 215/60R15 rear tires with the massaging necessary to get them in there.

The Maxilites are pretty close in appearance—only thing I really see is the lip that the center cap is supposed to cover is thinner, and you lose some of the cool detail (that wasn't meant to be a detail) inside the wheel if you run without caps (which I prefer). My alternatives is to either have Harvey widen my rears, or find a set of true 7Rs, which is in the high $,$$$ range. Or move to 205/60s all around if I can find a tire I like. Not in any hurry, but would like more rear tire and looking to have a plan for when these Avons age out in a year or so.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 15 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #59

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Harvey widened a set of deep 6's for my car. Unfortunately they did not work out for me but they were beautiful wheels done to his extremely high standards. I ended up trading them to him for a matched set of stock deep 6's- of course they are prefect too.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 15 2020, 01:01 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 15 2020, 11:41 AM) *

Harvey widened a set of deep 6's for my car. Unfortunately they did not work out for me but they were beautiful wheels done to his extremely high standards. I ended up trading them to him for a matched set of stock deep 6's- of course they are prefect too.

Harvey does beautiful work, and restored the set of Fuchs currently on my car. I've spoken with him about his method of widening deep 6s into 7Rs, and he ably answered my questions re: the obvious: welding 50~ year old forged aluminum. The man knows his stuff, and it sounds like he can widen my existing wheels without having to refinish them.

Then again, selling my deep 6s and moving to replicas offers some financial upsides—and the cast wheels are new rather than forged but heat cycled for 50~ years. The hump I have to get over is whether I care about having real Fuchs on the car. It isn't an original 914-6, nor will it ever be. And for me, it's more about function than correctness.

And yet…
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:35 AM