Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuchs education
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 15 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

People are paying for FUCHS? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ri914
post Sep 15 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 24,593
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 15 2020, 09:48 PM) *

I hope that is a secret hiding location and not a real dumpster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 16 2020, 06:40 AM
Post #63

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 15 2020, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 15 2020, 11:41 AM) *

Harvey widened a set of deep 6's for my car. Unfortunately they did not work out for me but they were beautiful wheels done to his extremely high standards. I ended up trading them to him for a matched set of stock deep 6's- of course they are prefect too.

Harvey does beautiful work, and restored the set of Fuchs currently on my car. I've spoken with him about his method of widening deep 6s into 7Rs, and he ably answered my questions re: the obvious: welding 50~ year old forged aluminum. The man knows his stuff, and it sounds like he can widen my existing wheels without having to refinish them.

Then again, selling my deep 6s and moving to replicas offers some financial upsides—and the cast wheels are new rather than forged but heat cycled for 50~ years. The hump I have to get over is whether I care about having real Fuchs on the car. It isn't an original 914-6, nor will it ever be. And for me, it's more about function than correctness.

And yet…

The nice thing about real Fuchs is they keep going up in value.
+Quote Post
73-914
post Sep 16 2020, 06:43 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 15 2020, 09:48 PM) *

Perfect Picture
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 16 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2020, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 15 2020, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 15 2020, 11:41 AM) *

Harvey widened a set of deep 6's for my car. Unfortunately they did not work out for me but they were beautiful wheels done to his extremely high standards. I ended up trading them to him for a matched set of stock deep 6's- of course they are prefect too.

Harvey does beautiful work, and restored the set of Fuchs currently on my car. I've spoken with him about his method of widening deep 6s into 7Rs, and he ably answered my questions re: the obvious: welding 50~ year old forged aluminum. The man knows his stuff, and it sounds like he can widen my existing wheels without having to refinish them.

Then again, selling my deep 6s and moving to replicas offers some financial upsides—and the cast wheels are new rather than forged but heat cycled for 50~ years. The hump I have to get over is whether I care about having real Fuchs on the car. It isn't an original 914-6, nor will it ever be. And for me, it's more about function than correctness.

And yet…

The nice thing about real Fuchs is they keep going up in value.

I don't expect this to continue indefinitely, as better repro's hit the market it will bring prices down. It happened with 16" Pre-A 356 wheels. I was getting upwards of $1000 a wheel for old bent and rusty 16's, then three companies made repro's, now I get about $400 for originals. The market will fill the void created, it always does. Which is why I did not have any 16's when the market fell out and why I won't be holding any deep sixes when the market falls out of FUCHS world. Shipped out my last full set to a dealer in Canada this week.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:00 AM