Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photobucket Hosting Problems, Best way to host photos?
R_u_dd
post Dec 16 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,072
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Photobucket changed their policy hosting third party photos. If you use their free service and get a lot of hits on your thread you will see a warning in place of the photo. This has really messed a lot of blog sites that use their hosting service.

Have you experienced this problem?

What have you done to fix it?

Any cool articles on how to replace the photos in an automated format rather than changing the links one at a time?

Could use help from the web host here. I know I can google all this but was wondering if there is a forum strategy we are using at 914world.

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 16 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Photobucket has turned into scum bucket, it's now a paid service and has F'ed a lot of good threads on other sites. For 914 related you can load up your pic's here for free.
In fact it's better to load your pic's here in the threads directly, so it won't Fuch up the threads later.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 16 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

At the bottom of the smiley's when you post (new thread or add reply) there's a "file attachment- choose file" button, that's where you upload pic's from your computer.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 16 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Photobucket dead photo fix.

Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/p...cpkaon?hl=en-US

Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ad...t-embedded-fix/

If you are hosting on PB then any of the other services like Flickr(Yahoo) or Picasa(Google). You can also upload to this server with the tools near the bottom of the post page, but it's not a photo service like the others.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 16 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I discovered the same thing when I tried to post pics for my FS ad; ended up using Dropbox. User friendly; I was able to up;pad my pics and create a link for my ad in a few minutes after getting some help here on World
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 16 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 16 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Photobucket dead photo fix.

Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/p...cpkaon?hl=en-US

Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ad...t-embedded-fix/

If you are hosting on PB then any of the other services like Flickr(Yahoo) or Picasa(Google). You can also upload to this server with the tools near the bottom of the post page, but it's not a photo service like the others.

Did NOT know this! Awesome! Added extensions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 16 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Dec 16 2017, 12:18 PM) *
but was wondering if there is a forum strategy we are using at 914world

We want people to upload their 914 related images here.

3rd party upload links can go dead and become unavailable and then we end up with posts referencing images that aren't available anymore.

So the 914world forum strategy is simple, upload them images here with your thread/post ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 16 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #8

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 16 2017, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Dec 16 2017, 12:18 PM) *
but was wondering if there is a forum strategy we are using at 914world

We want people to upload their 914 related images here.

3rd party upload links can go dead and become unavailable and then we end up with posts referencing images that aren't available anymore.

So the 914world forum strategy is simple, upload them images here with your thread/post ...

I like this advice. Personally, I don't like going elsewhere for pics related to build threads, etc. If a person is not interested in posting their pics in the thread, I just tend not to pursue the link and move on to the next post. JMO
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Dec 17 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Thank you all for your replies. 914world is a great community.
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Dec 17 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Andy- The firefox script mentioned above creates a text file which copies your image files from photobucket to imgur See the readme file here.

Is it possible to use a 914world image hosting address in this script to copy them directly to 914world and rather than a different third party host (imgur). I would like to convert my blueporsheru thread listed in my signature file so all photos are with 914world. But there's a lot of photos. Most have been resized smaller though.

Thanks, Cr
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 17 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Dec 17 2017, 09:17 AM) *
Andy- The firefox script mentioned above creates a text file which copies your image files from photobucket to imgur See the readme file here.

Is it possible to use a 914world image hosting address in this script to copy them directly to 914world and rather than a different third party host (imgur). I would like to convert my blueporsheru thread listed in my signature file so all photos are with 914world. But there's a lot of photos. Most have been resized smaller though.

No need, 914world can already do that for you automatically.

When you *link* an image in a post using the "Insert Image" option (Use this icon (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/Howard/folder_rte_images/image.gif)) the site will automatically download the offsite image and put a copy of it in your post.

By doing that, you can transfer offsite images to 914world ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Dec 17 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2017, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Dec 17 2017, 09:17 AM) *

No need, 914world can already do that for you automatically.

When you *link* an image in a post using the "Insert Image" option (Use this icon (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/Howard/folder_rte_images/image.gif)) the site will automatically download the offsite image and put a copy of it in your post.

By doing that, you can transfer offsite images to 914world ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Great, that is an easy fix. In fact, I think most of my pictures were originally linked that way, so this process is probably already done. There looks to be only one photo that shows the photobucket warning. I thought that it was just that there were not yet enough views for PB to notice the extra activity and label it a third party, therefore blocking the photos. Since most are not yet blocked I can assume that the photos have already been copied to 914world. This is very good news because most of the threads will still be viable. The Subaru forum, Nasioc has major issues with blocked photos. You can't hardly see a thread that has not been affected. Thanks, Cr
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 18 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Yeah, the admin team decided Photobucket was COMPLETELY SHITTY a few years ago and we (meaning Andy) wrote a script to grab ALL offsite images and save them here. We needed to do this to avoid having threads filled with dead images. This puts all of our content into our own control. We will never have to deal with 'eroding' threads.

Now if we could capture a snapshot of linked webpages, that would cover all the bases. For all those ebay.com ad links that are now meaningless. Think of all the "Check out this car on eBay!" threads that now are completely worthless since the original eBay listing has been deleted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 20 2017, 09:17 PM
Post #14

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

............screen shot of ebay ad then saved as a jpeg then posted here would preserve the photo even when ebay kills the link's photos later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:07 PM