Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock shifter or rennshift? Worth the money?
RickS
post Dec 31 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

See tons of positive comments but can’t tell if it’s being used on a 4 or a 6. Who is using a Rennshift on a 6 converted with a side shift 901? Does it work for you? Love my teener but shifting has always been its weakest link. Fixing that make the car even better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 31 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #42

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 31 2017, 09:30 PM) *

See tons of positive comments but can’t tell if it’s being used on a 4 or a 6. Who is using a Rennshift on a 6 converted with a side shift 901? Does it work for you? Love my teener but shifting has always been its weakest link. Fixing that make the car even better.

Mine has been both a 4 and a 6 with the Rennshift And shift rod And McMark mod.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 31 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 31 2017, 04:30 PM) *

Same transmission, it doesn’t matter if it’s a 4 or 6 or 8 or Mazda rotary or Subaru
The only issue with a six is the shift rod has to be straight or it will hit the motor.
I have used my rennshift on a 4 and a six with the same side shift 914 trans. I then converted to a 915 trans. JWest will sell you the parts to convert the 914 side shift rennshift to a 915 rennshift. Pretty simple conversion.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RickS
post Dec 31 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 31 2017, 05:36 PM) *

Same transmission, it doesn’t matter if it’s a 4 or 6 or 8 or Mazda rotary or Subaru
The only issue with a six is the shift rod has to be straight or it will hit the motor.
I have used my rennshift on a 4 and a six with the same side shift 914 trans. I then converted to a 915 trans. JWest will sell you the parts to convert the 914 side shift rennshift to a 915 rennshift. Pretty simple conversion.

Can’t find any mention on the JWest site of 915 conversion parts or a kit. I do see the 914 side shift shifter. Do not see a straight shift rod being offered. Hmmm . Still not clear on what the McMark mod is.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 31 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 31 2017, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 31 2017, 05:36 PM) *

The shift rod has a bend so you are saying it has to be straight and that and the conversion parts are Sold by JWest. Excellent. Will go check the JWest site. Hope that is all the conversion pieces. Still not clear on what the McMark mod is.

JWest sells two Rennshift models
914-4 side shift
914-4 tail shift and 915 gear box.
I originally had my 914-4 shift rod straightened when I did my six. Later I converted to a PMS shift rod for my six.
I don’t think JWest sells six conversion shift rods anymore, but PMS and CFR (Tangerine Racing) does.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/914...smissions-only/
+Quote Post
RickS
post Dec 31 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #46

Thanks Steve for all the help. Parts ordered. Much appreciated and Happy New Year
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jan 1 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #47

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2017, 05:06 PM) *

I’ve got the whole Rennshift package from the shifter to the transmission + the McMark modification.

I think I know what the Rennshift (Jwest) package is, and also the Tangerine linkage kit, but I am not familiar with the McMark modification. Could someone describe this and maybe post a picture? Thanks.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Jan 1 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I installed a Rennshift earlier this year. It was an improvement, but wasn’t as dramatic as I hoped. But I’ve felt others and they were superb. Perhaps I need some more adjustment?

Regarding the slot for a hand throttle? It wasn’t hard at all to cut one into the baseplate and install the hand throttle per usual. Mine works great. I also used the Wevo knob, but I elected for the one that slips on with a crush sleeve.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 1 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #49

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-1435-1514858545.1.jpg)
Yeah, worth every penny.

Zach
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 2 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #50

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(914Toy @ Dec 31 2017, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 31 2017, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2017, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 30 2017, 03:46 PM) *

I'm not sure I want to sacrifice my hand throttle mechanism.....

I've seen people jury rig them. I'd have to be convinced this is a huge step forward.

914forme modded his rennshift for the hand throttle

Here is a link to the thread showing 914forme's Rennshift modification for a hand throttle. See post #213. Here is the photo:

That is similar to what I was thinking. Have to look closely at how the space for the throttle handle baseplate is accommodated under the shifter base plate.
Also, possibility of mounting the hand throttle assembly say 2' in front of the shifter base plate on the tunnel by drilling holes for bolts and cutting slot for handle and shortening the rod the same amount (?)

To easy to do and no other modifications needed. Also gave me a good reason to make some chips fly.

If you don't have access to a mill, it can be done with hand tools. Drill a hole out back big enough for the post to run up through, and then just cut two down the center. It is strong enough that flex should not become an issue with the minimal removal for the handle to move.

You also have to drill one hole for the nub oil the hand throttle mount to key into.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Jan 13 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #51

Installed the Rennshifter and what a fantastic difference. After lots of trial and error, error meaning losing reverse and first, it is 95% dialed in. It is so precise and takes the guesswork out of Gear changes. Very solid and reassuring.

The final 5% is getting the shift into 2nd so solid, that there is no way to just Knick reverse.

Relatedly, The main issue is the reverse lockout tends to hit the shift lever dead center and locks out first too unless I move the lever a bit back to get around it and it totally locks out reverse. The solution was to remove it unless someone knows a trick.

Don’t need the Patrick Motorsport stuff since I already have a bronze bushing in the firewall, a straight rear shift rod with a ball coupler. The steering coupler seems redundant so it is all going back. If this was a new conversion to a 6 it would have been helpful.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jan 13 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 31 2017, 04:40 PM) *

Mine has been both a 4 and a 6 with the Rennshift And shift rod And McMark mod.

Is that a real picture or some photoshop creation? It looks AWESOME!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Driver174
post Feb 3 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 20,806

What is this “McMark mod”?
+Quote Post
jdeitch
post Sep 21 2022, 08:00 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 26,719
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 1 2018, 01:45 PM) *

I installed a Rennshift earlier this year. It was an improvement, but wasn’t as dramatic as I hoped. But I’ve felt others and they were superb. Perhaps I need some more adjustment?

Regarding the slot for a hand throttle? It wasn’t hard at all to cut one into the baseplate and install the hand throttle per usual. Mine works great. I also used the Wevo knob, but I elected for the one that slips on with a crush sleeve.
Attached Image

Beautiful setup. What pedal are those?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 22 2022, 04:03 AM
Post #55

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Looks like Rennline.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Sep 22 2022, 04:35 AM
Post #56

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

I have a Renn shifter installed on my 914 and never looked back. Also Installed the Tangerine Racing shift linkage and bearing. No longer hunting for gears.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 22 2022, 11:27 AM
Post #57

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

This is an ancient thread.
That said, the rennshift is worth it.
But, you HAVE to get your bearings freshened up. Or better yet get the Tangerine shift kit (which I have). It really transforms how the 914 shifts. Very very precise.

A Rennshift on a car with bad bushings will not net ANY positive effects, and could make things worse.

Zach
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 22 2022, 12:21 PM
Post #58

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I will add I had a RennShifter in my car and it shifted terribly until I had it adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing. I had taken it to a shop recommended by J West, Sport Performance in Livermore, ( I believe they may have closed) to be adjusted properly and it still shifted very tight.

When John Holleran got his hands on it, he adjusted all the linkage angles, checked bushings and adjusted the actual Rennshifter, tons better.

Despite that, I removed it and replaced it with the stock shifter with a Weltmeister short shift kit with the stock 914 arm welded on it so it looks 100% stock and also has the hand throttle. Very happy with it now. If my car was more of a GT looking car, I would have kept the RennShifter in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 22 2022, 12:27 PM
Post #59

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I love my renn shifter but it will only improve shifting at the shifter. Shifting precision is only as good as the weakest link. Trans, linkage, bushings , etc. a Rennshift won’t fix a worn out trans.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:51 PM