Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rather OT but has wheels, Santa bought it for me
porschetub
post Dec 29 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Well went away for Xmas received and gave gifts....then I felt like I should buy myself something but wasn't totally sure.
Got home and received an email from a seller offering a "fixed price offer" on our countries biggest auction site for a Montesa Cota 349 trials bike.
The seller told me it didn't run and parts were a hassle,he delivered it to me and I was surprised in its condition and originality considering I had only payed peanuts for it.
Turns out to be a 1979 Ulf Karlsson works world champion replica and only built in this spec in a small production run out of Spain.
I rode trials to reasonable success years ago on a Bultaco,TL Honda,then later on I went to MX with less success due to a shoulder injury then retirement,what the hell how can I injure myself on a bike that's made to go slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
I couldn't get it to start,had huge compression and healthy spark so stripped the carb and found blocked idle jet and broken fuel inlet banjo,with that fixed it started easily and run great although rather smokie to start off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Attached Image
Plan is to do a rolling resto on it which will be mostly cosmetic as mechanically I will only be replacing fluids ,new fork seals and replacing the rear shocks.
Had a big Google search before buying and found parts very spendy then picked up on a UK supplier called In Motion Twinshock,those guys have pretty much anything @ very good prices even considering exchange rate and shipping.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 29 2017, 04:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,470
Region Association: Southern California

Nice score.. trials riding is a blast. My last bike was a Gas Gas. Lighter and more suspension, but nothing historical about the company. Don't get hurt going slow.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 29 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm waiting for the video of you climbing a wall with it! Always wanted to try this kind of riding.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Dec 29 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #4

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

That's a nice bike. Good looking, nimble and I bet sounds great.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 29 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Dec 30 2017, 11:58 AM) *

Nice score.. trials riding is a blast. My last bike was a Gas Gas. Lighter and more suspension, but nothing historical about the company. Don't get hurt going slow.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) too old and wimpy to do anything like what I used to do,will be more of a trail bike really,I have a huge area to ride it so that's a bonus.
Yep these old buggers are heavy,plan to peel a bit of weight off without making the changes non -reversible .
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jan 13 2018, 01:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Bike refurb was going well until the fuel tap leaked and left me stranded ,then I found someone had transposed the fuel filter on the tap...I had been running on reserve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ,short push home not too bad.
Next day repaired the tank tap after a struggle,put fuel in and it still leaked.....bugger and bugger.
Next day rethink and sorted because of PO f...-up,lets see if it go's ,kicked it once and it fired briefly ,next kick was not good as it kicked back and drove the folding lever into my lower leg,ripped a 70mm x15mm gash in my lower leg,looked down and there was meat and a little bone showing.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) ,well nearly.
My training as a marine engineer said (in my head) this needs work ASAP,got the firstaid kit from the car and patched it up to stem bloodflow,all that time getting advanced certificate payed off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .
Walked to next door and my great neighbor took me to emergency centre,I honestly don't remember the drive as apparently I passed out a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ,all got fixed in record time as I was looking like s#it in the reception,doctor was impressed with my patch-up and then did an even better job.
10 days and sutures out but bloody pisses me off for not starting it right,firstly not following how to do it or foolishly thinking I would be ok in anything but my riding boots,would have only been a bruise otherwise.
So it summary I did still now how to ride but missed out "the as you get older/wiser" you never stop learning...yeah right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) .
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 13 2018, 05:20 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ouch... my wife had riding boots on and was trying kick my 500 quadzilla ,,kickback fractured her heal...Doctor in small town said it was not broken next morning it was very swollen ,,,back to big city ,,and yes broken,,,over the next week I bought her a new quad and we went to another state riding ,she had a plastic bag over her cast...good girl ..Ride On

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:41 PM