Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> subi conversion questions
rnellums
post Jan 12 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #41

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 11 2018, 07:26 AM) *

The MT5 cases changed some say the latter ones are stronger than the earlier ones. My feeling is they are cheaper than a 901, and stronger. Your making them 2 wheel drive, so less stress on the trans.

I had that thought too, but then I realized that on a stock 2.5 NA (say 160 HP) the center diff sends 55% of power to the rear wheels and 45% to the fronts, so ~ 75 hp to the front diff.

When we lock the tranny into FWD we are sending 100% of power to the front diff, so in my case (EZ30), close to triple the power the transmission was designed for. That said, no problems so far (10k miles + of fairly abusive driving)... so it can't be that bad!

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jan 12 2018, 06:30 AM) *

Actually that's a VW VR6 corrado? radiator. It also does great in stop and go for a rotary which runs hotter than normal piston motors (I bet it can handle a non turbo subie 4 cylinder). The car does run a bit hot on hot days,, but I think this can be resolved with better ducting from underneath as there is none right now. As far as engine access,, I have no problems changing my spark plugs,, and changing belts is still easier than on a type IV.
-Robert

How hot is a bit hot? I still hit ~210 in my EZ30 with a front mount rad on 95deg + days here in Denver. I too am sorely tempted by an engine-bay mounted radiator. Less/no cutting, much shorter coolant lines, no ground clearance issues, less weight (less coolant to fill the lines). There is a lot to like if it works!

How many miles have you put on it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 12 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 9,388
Region Association: None

Picked up a 5mt. found a very knowledge fabricator and is going to help make cradles using my car as a mock up. Ill keep everyone posted. Looks like it will be a coldwater/ renegade style front and were going to figure out something for the trans. We're also looking into a cable shift step up. Hopefully will have something done in the next few weeks.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 13 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #43

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 12 2018, 10:15 PM) *

Picked up a 5mt. found a very knowledge fabricator and is going to help make cradles using my car as a mock up. Ill keep everyone posted. Looks like it will be a coldwater/ renegade style front and were going to figure out something for the trans. We're also looking into a cable shift step up. Hopefully will have something done in the next few weeks.

This is exciting news!

In my opinion, A well designed cradle would re-use the soft rubber mounts that the Subaru uses for the engine and transmission, and then would hard-mount to the pickups on the body.

In the current coldwater setup, he engine soft-mounts to the cradle, but the transmission mounts hard-mount to the cradle, which im sure sets up some bad vibration/fatigue issues.

Also, using an engine mount that only picks up at the front stock mount points will have a hug cantilevered mass which will be a lot of stress on those forward mounts. I'm almost certain that the engine mount needs to to support the entire engine/transmission assembly as a single unit.
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 13 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #44

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images2post.com-9388-1515886615.1.jpg)

anyone have any experience with these classic bucket replicas?
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 13 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 13 2018, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 12 2018, 10:15 PM) *

This is exciting news!

In my opinion, A well designed cradle would re-use the soft rubber mounts that the Subaru uses for the engine and transmission, and then would hard-mount to the pickups on the body.

In the current coldwater setup, he engine soft-mounts to the cradle, but the transmission mounts hard-mount to the cradle, which im sure sets up some bad vibration/fatigue issues.

Also, using an engine mount that only picks up at the front stock mount points will have a hug cantilevered mass which will be a lot of stress on those forward mounts. I'm almost certain that the engine mount needs to to support the entire engine/transmission assembly as a single unit.

thats what i was thinking. Going to see about getting him to do something similar to DBcoppers set up, using the subaru stock trans brace. the only issue i can see for my situation is using subaru rubber on the frame is space. Im running a wrx motor and with the stock down pipe its tight.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 13 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #46

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 13 2018, 04:57 PM) *

thats what i was thinking. Going to see about getting him to do something similar to DBcoppers set up, using the subaru stock trans brace. the only issue i can see for my situation is using subaru rubber on the frame is space. Im running a wrx motor and with the stock down pipe its tight.

See, thats your first mistake... everyone knows the EZ H-6's are the only way to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 13 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 13 2018, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 13 2018, 04:57 PM) *

See, thats your first mistake... everyone knows the EZ H-6's are the only way to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Hahah once you have a turbo car you never want to go back! Twin turbos 6's have been my favorite so far.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 13 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #48

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 13 2018, 09:10 PM) *

Hahah once you have a turbo car you never want to go back! Twin turbos 6's have been my favorite so far.

I don't know... I have a 2.0 WRX and definitely still prefer the EZ 914. I need to find someone with a turbocharged conversion so I can directly compare the two!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 14 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #49

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 13 2018, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 13 2018, 09:10 PM) *

I don't know... I have a 2.0 WRX and definitely still prefer the EZ 914. I need to find someone with a turbocharged conversion so I can directly compare the two!

I should have mine ready for Route 66 this year. Although that is coming quick. LOL! I need to get off my ass
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 14 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #50

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 14 2018, 02:21 PM) *

I should have mine ready for Route 66 this year. Although that is coming quick. LOL! I need to get off my ass

Perfect! (provided I can make it) pretty busy summer coming up! Worst case RRC?
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Feb 17 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #51

So starting to get back into this as its been warming up by me and starting to get all the pieces together.

think I've found 930 axles stubs for <$100? heres what I've found

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/transmiss...ission-flanges/

https://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Irs_cv_joi...riveflanges.htm

https://www.appletreeauto.com/TYPE-1-TO-930...ANGES-AC525105/

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/CV-Joint-Conv...p/16-2299-0.htm

also found these guys that will make any flange

http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/Drive_...tom_flanges.htm

I'm still looking at dutchman, but trying to figure something that can be pulled off the shelf if need be.

shifter: mr2 with zero decibel.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:34 PM