Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> removing the rear trunk torsion bars, how to COMPLETELY remove them? Update: SUCCESS!
914 RZ-1
post Jan 4 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #1

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

EDIT: My last post has my comments on my success.

I've seen the posts about un-attaching the torsion bar on the rear trunk lid when replacing the hinges and such, but how do I take the bars completely off?

I want to remove them while the hinges are still good and replace the torsion bars with a gas shock kit.

The Haynes manual is not really clear. I do not want to cut the bars, since I'd like to save or possibly sell them. Besides, cutting them sounds dangerous as well.

Does the tension get completely released when using the methods in the previous posts about this? I've read them and am still not clear. It seems that these methods are for just taking them partway off to attach new bushings/"ears"/etc. I want to completely remove mine. And I don't want to get whacked!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 4 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I took mine off a couple months ago. As I recall, once you disengage them from the hinge rollers, there is still a little tension left, but not much. I was able to unbolt them without getting whacked. I'm a little worried about getting them back on though. But that won't be an issue for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Jan 4 2018, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2018, 11:32 PM) *

I took mine off a couple months ago. As I recall, once you disengage them from the hinge rollers, there is still a little tension left, but not much. I was able to unbolt them without getting whacked. I'm a little worried about getting them back on though. But that won't be an issue for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Cut mine into two using a cutoff disc to get them out. Nothing too eventful.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 5 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I just used safety glasses and gloves and removed the bolts / brackets that hold them on. Parts went flying, but no animals were hurt in the process.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 5 2018, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

First, fully open the trunk and prop it up. Remove rods from rollers. Tightly Pack hand towels on both sides of the cut points on both rods and under/around the rod ends. Have at it with the cutting wheel. Insert potential loud SPRONG sound. When the cut is finished everything happens quickly. Be on high alert.
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Jan 5 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #6

Porsche Padawan

I don't want to cut them, I want to just remove them. Is there a thread that describes this? Seems like there has to be a way to de-tension them safely. YouTube maybe?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 6 2018, 12:54 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Jan 5 2018, 07:08 PM) *

I don't want to cut them, I want to just remove them. Is there a thread that describes this? Seems like there has to be a way to de-tension them safely. YouTube maybe?

Like I said, I just unbolted them once they were off the hinge rollers and it wasn't a big deal. There is some tension left on them, but not a lot. Most of that will come off as you loosen the brackets. Getting them off was pretty uneventful and no cutting.
+Quote Post
Aidan
post Jan 6 2018, 02:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 21,729
Region Association: None

If Porsche put them in without tension, you can remove them.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Jan 6 2018, 03:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

I removed mine recently and didn't have any trouble. Once I removed the bars from the hood hinges I just undid the brackets holding them on - very little tension remained.

Can't say I'm looking forward to installing them again with fresh paint everywhere!
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Jan 15 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #10

Porsche Padawan

Thought I'd wrap this up for any other newbies that want to do this but are afraid to try:

I removed the hood.

Made a tool to grab the torsion bars. I had some 3/16" thick steel bar that I notched and bent as shown elsewhere. I grabbed the bars and moved them off the rollers. Once off, I used my tool to lower them to the car body. The tool came off fairly easy with a slight bang as the tension was released. Not as bad as I thought.

I had a friend hold down the brackets with a tube while I loosened the bolts. The only tension remaining was very light; it was enough to slightly bend the bars to go in the brackets, which might have caused them to come off and go flying, but once the screws were off, the brackets actually stayed in place; I had to pry them off with a screwdriver. There appeared to be no torsional tension at all.

Much easier than I thought!

PS: anybody want to buy some torsion bars?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:10 AM