Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home Made Boot
euro911
post Jan 13 2018, 12:51 AM
Post #21

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

A PO had hacked up my '75 and riveted (with 26 rivets) an early shift console to the firewall and installed a tail-shifter transaxle. I removed the console and found that the orifice in the firewall had been enlarged to the point that a standard size shift rod bushing wouldn't work.

I installed an aluminum plate on the firewall to remedy that issue and purchased one of Chris' spherical shift rod bearings

Attached Image

In my case, since the plate was thicker than the indentation in the firewall, it caused the shift rod's coupler to hit the bearing in 1st., 3rd. and 5th. gears. I modified one end of the bearings' housing a bit (turned down about 3/8' of it) and recessed it into the plate, thus allowing full rod travel.

Attached Image

It all worked out great though, and the OEM shift coupler [side-shifter] boot fits over the bearing too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 13 2018, 05:06 AM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

rotate tail shift boot 180 degrees and walla..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 13 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #23

Hmmm ... that's an interesting thought - and worth a try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
theer
post Jan 13 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But there is a little more to it than that. The flange intended for the late boot on the end of the side-shift linkage bar will need to be cut off to fit through the flipped early cover. Then use the early boot. Not hard, but would be best to remove the linkage bar (also not difficult).
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jan 16 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,288
Region Association: None

^ Exactly right, the thin metal flange on the rod (#27) must be cut off with a wheel or hacksaw, then ground smooth and painted for a clean appearance.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 16 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

So just curious how many bars have you (URO parts guy) actuality modified in this manner?
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jan 16 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 16 2018, 03:27 PM) *

So just curious how many bars have ypu (URO parts guy) actuality modified in this manner?

We've been involved with four total. We've done this conversion to the 914 we use for product development, and three friends have also done it to their cars.

Here's a great relevant write-up from Jameel, begin reading at post #56: Tail to Side Shift Conversion Rookie
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 16 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #28

The rubber man

What I'm getting at is that a little more than just cutting the flange off make the conversion work here.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 16 2018, 10:54 PM
Post #29

The rubber man

Also interesting is that the parts that went on to Jameels' are not URO they are 914Rubber's. He even credits us in the thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jan 17 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 16 2018, 06:45 PM) *

What I'm getting at is that a little more than just cutting the flange off make the conversion work here.

Certainly there's a lot more involved in performing a complete sideshift conversion, but the OP is only asking about the boot at the firewall in this thread.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 16 2018, 08:54 PM) *

Also interesting is that the parts that went on to Jameels' are not URO they are 914Rubber's. He even credits us in the thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

No one on this thread mentioned the brand of boot Jameel used until now. As you said, it's definitely not a URO boot.

Since we're now discussing the boot, here's what an OEM boot from the dealer looks like, note the bellows profile.

Attached Image

Pay particular attention to the necked lip on the small end, and the lip inside the large end. The lip on the large end snaps over a flared neck on the plastic cover, for secure attachment. This rear lip cracking off the boot is how it usually fails, resulting in the bellows detaching from the cover.

Attached Image

Here's our bellows, which has the same profile and attachment lips as OEM.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's a quote from Jameel regarding the longer than OE bellows he used (link), and what he had to do to make it work (link) since the bellows he used didn't have a rear lip:

QUOTE(Jameel @ May 15 2016, 06:40 PM) *

The bellows at the firewall cover posed some problems. There really isn't much of a lip on either the bellows, or the cover. I tried to wrap a wire around the groove in the cover, but I didn't have much luck. It turns out that the first pleat in the bellows fit rather nicely just inside the hole in the cover. It felt quite secure. So I simply tucked one pleat inside and called it good. We'll see how this holds up I guess.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 17 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #31

No dog in the fight, but someone appears to have missed Jameel's post # 56

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2344549
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jan 17 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One of the old issues of "Upfixin' Der Porsche" has an article detailing how a bracket can be constructed from Aluminum sheet to cover the area AND allow use of the one of the side shift (I believe) boots. Basic metal working skills needed, but pretty straightforward stuff. I made one up to the dimensions described and it worked well. I used the PMS linkage when I converted to the -6 engine and had to clearance it a little, but still OK in principle.

Am at work, so can provide more details (and photos) if there is interest later today,

- Tony
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 17 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #33

The rubber man

What I was actually trying to highlight, is that the shift bar can't just be traded out. The engine mounting bracket has diferent allignment between transmissions. If you swap both yes you can do this. However, you will not want to dig into this project without both in hand. By the way I will be launching a GB on all the boots, bellows and plastic parts at pricing you can't get anywhere else! Look for this the 25th.
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 4 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 12 2018, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(72 IXXIV @ Jan 6 2018, 11:47 PM) *

I have a side shift conversion in my '72 and I want to make a little boot for where the linkage comes out of the firewall.

Anyone have any good ideas for making a custom boot that does NOT require removing the linkage rod? I'm not looking for anything that's airtight or anything, just to keep splashing water from going into my center tunnel.

Any thoughts?

[shamelessselfpromotion]
If you had installed my firewall bearing instead of the conversion bushing the stock sideshift boot would fit your car.[/shamelessselfpromotion]

Attached Image

No shame, Nice and tidy. I was thinking I'd need a new boot for it to stay in place.
Not. Mike and I took TOO much time dialing in his linkage and it never slipped off.
Kudo's.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:58 PM