Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru swapped fuel mileage, What engines are you guys running and what kind of mileage?
post Jan 8 2018, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,545

Been a while since I’ve been in here. Had the 914 running with a turbocharged ej20. Ended up blowing that motor. Considering different engine options. Naturally aspirated ej20-25, or back with a turbo ej20, EZ30 or eg33 and I’m wondering what you subie guys are getting as far as fuel economy. I live in central Ca and my father lives in Arizona. My wrx is a little expensive at 25mpg or less to go see him. Thinking of turning the 914 into more of a fuel economy road trip car. Mind you I still want some power. So what are you guys gettin?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
76-914
post Jan 8 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

EZ30D, 25mpg
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Jan 8 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I honestly couldn't tell you what my ez30 gets. Every time I get in my 914 my IQ drops at least 100 points ( putting me in negative numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) ) and I drive it like I stole it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 8 2018, 02:16 PM
Post #4

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

When you make power you are using fuel. My 2015 Corvette got 50 Miles on the Frey when you eased it at 60 but when you made 460HP it went through the fuel.

Boost is more fuel going into Eng. making a 3-liter a 4.5-liter is a sense.

Most people do not care what the fuel is costing when they are buying a thrill.

Bob B

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 8 2018, 02:36 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I talked to a member here that has a 3.5 liter Honda/Acura V6 in his 914 that is getting 30 on the freeway. Well over 250hp as well. Tempting
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 8 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

24 city, 29 hwy @ 90 with a 3.0L

The new 3.5L should be the same as it's really a factor of weight, aerodynamics and driving style.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 8 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jan 8 2018, 02:46 PM) *

I honestly couldn't tell you what my ez30 gets. Every time I get in my 914 my IQ drops at least 100 points ( putting me in negative numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) ) and I drive it like I stole it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

This is number 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I have 2.6 liter T4 in my 1700lb bug, very hi performance but FI so my thought was it should get somewhat decent mileage.
Nope... it slurps down gas like an alcoholic at a free bar. With a 10 gallon tank pumping gas almost every time I drove it gets old.

Last summer I did a grand experiment for a couple weeks, I drove it like a standard stock bug, like granny going to pick up her groceries. I stopped spirited take offs, drove much closer to the speed limit, right hand lane, stayed behind trucks and Harley's instead of passing them....in other words had no fun.

You guessed it, I was averaging over 30mpg. woo-hoo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

But what the fuch is the fun in that! Yep my mileage sucks again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
At least I have a smile on my face...except at the gas station. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Now I have my 3.0 high performance weber /6 in my 914...not even going to look at my gas bills.
+Quote Post
Aircooledfool
post Jan 8 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,858

Can I hijack this thread with a question to you that are running the EZ30D, what are you using for fuel management? Can you run the stock Subaru system?
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 8 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,388

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Jan 8 2018, 03:25 PM) *

Can I hijack this thread with a question to you that are running the EZ30D, what are you using for fuel management? Can you run the stock Subaru system?

The cheapest route would be to get the harness and ecu from a donor and send it off to get converted to vw/Porsche ($600)

Or megaaquirt or stinger which is around 1200 from what I've found.
+Quote Post
Aircooledfool
post Jan 8 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(hockeymutt @ Jan 8 2018, 05:33 PM) *

The cheapest route would be to get the harness and ecu from a donor and send it off to get converted to vw/Porsche ($600)

Who does the harness conversion? That sounds like the best option for a daily driver. I'm in the early planning stages for a EZ30D daily driver. Thanks for your input!
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 8 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,388

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Jan 8 2018, 03:41 PM) *

Who does the harness conversion? That sounds like the best option for a daily driver. I'm in the early planning stages for a EZ30D daily driver. Thanks for your input!

There's a few people on line, I'll be going with autoventure since he's afforadable and does a really good job
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 9 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #12

I checked out his website and did not see where he offers a harness for the EZ30D series. Maybe he does but does not list it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 9 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #13

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

I've touched 40 a few times cruising at altitude in my EZ30D. And as for harnesses, make your own! All the literature is out there and quite a few have gone through it! Then you'll know how to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong!
+Quote Post
Aircooledfool
post Jan 10 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #14

I contacted John at AutoVenture and he said he can make the harness for the EZ30D. We didn't nailed down pricing since it will vary depending on what transmission and EMS is used. John mentioned that someone who is using the stock Subaru ECM had some issues with idle. What would be ideal would be for several of us that are planning the same conversion could work together on design and wiring harness. I'm guessing that some sort of group buy might be possible. My goals are for a reliable daily driver using the EZ30D, Subaru transmission, and Subaru ECM if it can be confirmed as a reliable option.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 10 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just used my stock harness. The trick is getting all the power wires connected and on the right circuit (battery & switched). Just need to read the wiring diagram thoroughly.
I may strip the unused plugs out someday but it's really not that important.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 10 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Jan 8 2018, 03:41 PM) *

I've got 11,000 on mine. Only problem was a self induced cooling issue. Runs perfectly every time I take it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
post Jan 12 2018, 08:07 AM
Post #17

I imagine 25mpg with an EZ30 should be able to beaten with some better gearing for the Highway gearing. Seeing how that engine has an 80mm stroke. It should have plenty of torque below 2600 to pull a 914 at freeway speeds. I’d honestly like to see 2400rpm at 75. Spinning all that mass up with that longer stroke seems like a waste of fuel.

What transmissions are you guys running?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 12 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #18

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Jan 10 2018, 09:38 AM) *

I contacted John at AutoVenture and he said he can make the harness for the EZ30D. We didn't nailed down pricing since it will vary depending on what transmission and EMS is used. John mentioned that someone who is using the stock Subaru ECM had some issues with idle. What would be ideal would be for several of us that are planning the same conversion could work together on design and wiring harness. I'm guessing that some sort of group buy might be possible. My goals are for a reliable daily driver using the EZ30D, Subaru transmission, and Subaru ECM if it can be confirmed as a reliable option.

I have a complete ECU Pinout and power wiring distribution diagram (including relays and fusing) for a stock 2001 EZ30 that I can share. 2002, 2003 ECUs are very similar, but some colors/pins shifted on the ECU connectors (engine connectors are identical) and will require some more diligence. All you need to provide is Gnd, +12 Batt, and switched +12. then pull signals out for gauges. Even runs OBD readers!

I've recorded almost 40 mpg in my EZ30 with an 02 WRX 5mt.
+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 12 2018, 08:09 PM) *

I have a complete ECU Pinout and power wiring distribution diagram (including relays and fusing) for a stock 2001 EZ30 that I can share. 2002, 2003 ECUs are very similar, but some colors/pins shifted on the ECU connectors (engine connectors are identical) and will require some more diligence. All you need to provide is Gnd, +12 Batt, and switched +12. then pull signals out for gauges. Even runs OBD readers!

I’d like to get a copy of that pinout if/when I start this conversion. I’m about 80% sure I’m going to use the EZ30. What are you’re freeway rpms with the 02 wrx transmission?
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 15 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #20

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(749142 @ Jan 15 2018, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 12 2018, 08:09 PM) *

I’d like to get a copy of that pinout if/when I start this conversion. I’m about 80% sure I’m going to use the EZ30. What are you’re freeway rpms with the 02 wrx transmission?

Still higher than I would like, 3700 or so at 75 I think
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 AM