Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thermostat cable and flaps, help please
Rand
post May 30 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Last time I drove the car, the temp went much higher than normal. Started checking things out and noticed the thermostat cable was gone. It broke off at the end of the thermostat. Strange thing is it's completely gone - I expected to see it hanging there somewhere?

1. Where does the other end attach? Is it easily accessible?
2. Am I missing an air guide? I didn't have to remove anything to see the thermostat.
3. I thought if the cable broke the flap would go to the default position of cooling? But it warms up as quick as normal, then gets too hot.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1117484067.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 30 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Rand @ May 30 2005, 01:58 PM)
I thought if the cable broke the flap would go to the default position of cooling?

flaps could be stuck ...

if the cable just snapped, you can still operate the flaps by hand to see if they're stuck.
there's a rod (on top of the engine) that connects the 2 flaps. has some springs on it too.
you should be able to turn the rod by hand ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post May 30 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well don't fool yourself. It may have never been there. Cable is either still attached to the flap linkage arm. (just to the drivers side comes up through a hole in the 1 - 2 cylinder tin.
Sure doesn't look like it is hanging from the thermostat you can see the wheel where the cable routes up. The hole in the tin is directly above the forward radious of the wheel.
The flaps should be spring loaded to default to full open. You can check this by rotating the linkage arm by hand. pretty stiff spring which is wound around the linkage arm itself.

And yes you seems to be missing the warm air guide.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 30 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Look to see if the little nut with the hole in the top of it is still there on the end of the thermostat. Looks like your thermostat is still good as they run $85 new.
order the wire from PP or GPR or HPH and connect it properly onto the arm at the top after hooking it up to the thermostat.

You are looking pretty grimey there so ya might want to take off the top tin and clean up the cylinders of the leaves and mouse poop. Usually that cools things off.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post May 30 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #5

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

If the cable broke it should run just as cool but take longer to heat up. Default position of the flaps is full down over the oil cooler.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 30 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

thats if some moron PO didn't forget to hook up the return spring.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 30 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

Well, looks like PO must have removed the cable because it's clipped clean near the flap linkage arm. So I guess I never had functional thermostat cable, nor an accurate frame of reference for how fast it should warm up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Thanks for the photo Andy... made it quick and easy for me to find the flap linkage arm. It does rotate and the spring firmly snaps them all the way open when I let go.

So... What else could happen suddenly that would cause my temp to keep climbing? (It's always been fine - leveling out about midway on the gauge, but then on the last drive it went up quite a bit higher. Fortunately I made it home before it got scary high.)
+Quote Post
Allan
post May 30 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #8

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 30 2005, 02:40 PM)
moron PO

Yer right. Ya never know...
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post May 30 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

What gauge ya looking at partner? Oil temp gauge in the dash?

Get a Cylinder Head temp gauge as it will tell you what really is going on. Oil temp gauge in dash..... wouldn't give a bucket of rat spit for any information it gives.

Get a real oil temp gauge and cailbrated sending unit.
Now you know what the hell you got. ANd I agree with Geoff clean out the rat poop and leaves both sides.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Ya got oil in it right? and it's clean right?
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 30 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #10

Cross Member

Yeah, it's the oil temp gauge I'm looking at. Center console, '75 2.0.

Oil is definitely clean and up to the right level.

I agree, I need a good head temp gauge. I'll look into that. I'm just concerned right now because the oil temp is running hotter now than it was last week.

It's garaged and nothing has changed. It's a little grimey underneath because I have a couple minor oil seeps but I don't think it's full of leaves and mouse poop. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I guess something could have got dislodged and sucked into a different location that interferes with airflow now??? Guess I better start taking some tin loose and checking out the air paths. Any tips or pitfalls about doing this with the engine in before I dig in? Anything else to look at besides airflow that would affect oil temp all the sudden?

Thanks gang.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post May 30 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,724

"I guess something could have got dislodged and sucked into a different location that interferes with airflow now??? "

A rag or leaves might have been sucked into the fan if it does not have a screen over it.

"You are looking pretty grimey there so ya might want to take off the top tin and clean up the cylinders of the leaves and mouse poop."

I found a lot of oily crap plugging my oil cooler and cylinder fins. If you can't find the problem it would be worth it to pull the engine and tin and clean things up.

"It's always been fine - leveling out about midway on the gauge, but then on the last drive it went up quite a bit higher. "

I think most guages normally read low. If yours was normally midway you might have been running higher than normal all along.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 30 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #12

Cross Member

This particular 914 project is focused on bare essentials. If it's not crucial, it's coming off. I'm aiming for a V8 conversion next winter, but I want to take good care of the 2.0 in the mean time. With that in mind...

Specifically with regard to the non-functioning thermostat to date...

Now that I know my car has never had the benefit of a quicker warm-up thanks to a thermostat, I have to ask: How critical is it?

If it truly makes a crucial difference in engine longevity, I'll immediately rig up a way of temporary holding the flaps while it warms up until I get the thermostat cable repaired correctly.

If it's really not so critical, I'm happy remove the junk that has been doing nothing for me so far, and get another step closer to my bare bones goal.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 30 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #13

Cross Member

Thanks scruz914. This car is always garaged, hasn't had any rags left in the engine compartment, and is intentionally never parked under trees. It's hard for me to believe that something has been sucked into the cooling path, but I'm gonna go through the air paths to make sure. I don't know what else would have changed to affect the temp.

Cheers.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 30 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #14

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Rand @ May 30 2005, 10:36 PM)
If it's really not so critical, I'm happy remove the junk that has been doing nothing for me so far

not really needed (well, at least not here in CA) ...

if you drive the car a lot for only short distances, it might never warm up to operating temp, which is not gud ...

if you remove the thermostat, make sure you'll leave the little wheel on there (or at least put the bolt back on) as the bolt hole goes *through* inside the case!
remove bolt = major oil leak !!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 12 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

not to highjack but I need a new cable for my thermostat as well and call pelican and they said that they didn't have one! The new thermostat they sent was the retrofit not the the nut w/the hole in it! now I need a cable w/ male threads in it!

what's a good source?

thanks,

FYI the new thermostat cost $79.99 plus S&H.
no good without a matching cable though
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jan 12 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #16

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

Is this what you need? The union has a Porsche part #.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 12 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #17

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

i just got a NEW stainless cable off ebay.

6.99 shipped from england (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jan 12 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #18

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Go to the local Ace and get stainless cable ( 19 cents a ft.) the smallest diameter and a farrel ( $1.79 for 2) Squeeze the farrel on the cable and file to fit the nut on the tstat. Cheap, easy and fast.

Dave
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Jan 13 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 3,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

the thermostat is not oem! Not the won shown in the pic provided!

atleast a for 914! it has a brass barrrel or post at the end w/ internal threads. I imagine that it was originally for a vw or something. I would need a cable w/ a male thread end to accomodate.

I was going to find out what the thread is and cut off a long matching bolt and solder a cable into it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 09:37 AM