Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTF?? Paypal Fraud
Dave Cawdrey
post Jul 8 2003, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Dumbo going poop, Daddy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

I just got a email from Paypal stating that a buyer from my auction used someone else's credit card. How the fuck can someone do this? Why am I responsible?

Anyway, dude's name is Thomas Richardson. Beware. Here is his info. Someone should call him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boid.gif)

Contact Information for tc_richardson:

User ID: tc_richardson
Name: Thomas Richardson
Company:
City: Vallejo
State: CA
Phone: (707) 643 - 0938
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 8 2003, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Call him... ask WTF?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 8 2003, 09:44 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Shouldn't the credit card company be the one to contact you?
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 09:46 PM
Post #4

CSOBOSC founding member

Member No.: 602

Not if the guy with the Paypal account complained to Paypal, then the hold it pending an inquiry. FWIW, Paypal inquiries suck if you're the seller...

Warning though, make sure you this isn't just some sort of misunderstanding before you post somebody's info before you try to resolve it with them (if that is the case...). If there is no resolution, THEN flame the crap out of them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 09:49 PM
Post #5

CSOBOSC founding member

Then again, now that I just looked up the user id....... no longer registered, 6 positive and 2 negative feedbacks... pretty crappy record... Load the gun........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 8 2003, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 244

THIS is the reason not to have a "Verified" account... linked to your checking/savings.

If you were, they'd yank the money out with a wire transfer, and there's nothing you could do about it.

There's a reason why they push so hard for that!!!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 8 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

So what's the story? What were you selling? Did you send the guy the stuff? Maybe the guy just borrowed a friends card because he didn't have one of his own.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Hope you didn't ship the goods yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 8 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Dave I need some more info on this.

We have about 5500$ sitting in my PayPal account right now that belongs to you.. Every transaction has been flawless.

I dont understand what is wrong... so what ?? he used a buddy's card.. did you get paid ??

Anybody that uses any credit card can dispute charges..

My PayPal is verified and I pay so people can use credit cards with me (business account)

B
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Jul 8 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #9

Here the low down:

Used fog lenses sold for 52 + 4 fer shpping $56 total. He paid thru paypal. A week later, I shipped.

Today, Paypal deducts my account, says "fraud use of card". Wants proof of tracking/shipping. N/A w/ USPS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 8 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #10

2270 club

Member No.: 218

When you sell on ebay only accept Paypal from users with a "confirmed" address and then only ship to that confirmed address. Also, don't take paypal for users outside of the US.
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #11

CSOBOSC founding member

You need to send everything with USPS with a tracking number in order to be protected by Paypal as a seller (I know, you probably already know that now...). You need to pay the extra for a tracking number from USPS, but that would have gotten you out of trouble with Paypal.

Unfortunately, you have an uphill battle now. I think (from my recollection) you are hosed from Paypals point of view w/o the tracking number, so you are going to have to go after the guy directly.

Good news is his name/address seem legitimate since they come up correctly on a reverse phone number search. Looks like he's 46 years old too (or his dad is if it is a same name situation... just another tidbit a reverse search turned up.

Still might be a misunderstanding. Have you tried calling the phone number yet?

sm
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 8 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Not good news....

A credit card is unsecured credit given to an individual or business. By accepting a credit card payment, YOU as the seller are liable for that payment and can be subject to having to refund the cash for up to 180 days in the case of fraud. According to the credit card company, you are the victim of the fraud, not their customer.

Alternatively, as a consumer, you have up to 180 days to claim you did not buy an item charged to your account, and get your money back if its fraud.

You're only recourse in this case is to track down the deadbeat buyer and file charges. If its any consolation, interstate fraud is a serious charge. I have not been through this, but I'd be pissed at Paypal for making it seem like the buyer was an OK buyer. You do have an address that you shipped to.

To protect yourself, do not take credit cards as payment unless you have a signature (signed in person) and get ID. Its hard for a buyer to say they didn't get something when you show 1) you had the card present, 2) they signed, and 3) you took their ID. Then the credit card merchant company should go after the buyer and have them settle the dispute themselves.

In this case, you are the victim....

We should have a DO NOT DO BUS With wall of all the deadbeat folks.
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Jul 8 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #13

look

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #14

CSOBOSC founding member

FWIW, I learned about the tracking numbers the hard way too. Luckily, mine auction was for something cheap. You do have the benefit though of the buyer's information appearing somewhat accurate so you can try to get him directly.

For the benefit of the discussion, here is Paypal's official policy:

What is the Seller Protection Policy?

Sellers will not be held liable for chargebacks due to fraud (including payments made with stolen credit cards and false claims of non-shipment) when they follow the rules of our Seller Protection Policy:

The seller has a Verified U.S. or Canadian Business or Premier Account
The seller ships to the buyer's Confirmed Address.
The seller ships within 7 days of receiving payment.
The seller can provide reasonable proof-of-shipment which can be tracked online. This document must show that you shipped to the buyer's Confirmed Address. For items valued at $250 or more, you must include a signature from the recipient as proof of receipt.
The seller ships tangible goods. Since comparable widely-accepted proof-of-shipment methods are not currently available for intangible goods and services, we are currently unable to offer Seller Protection for digital goods and other electronically-delivered items.
The seller accepted a single payment from one PayPal account for a purchase.
The seller shipped to a domestic (U.S.) buyer at a U.S. address.
When a complaint occurs, sellers need to provide complete information within 7 days of a request from PayPal. However, if PayPal is required by the credit card association to respond immediately to resolve a chargeback, sellers must provide the information within 3 days. PayPal will indicate the response time required in the email message sent to the seller.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 8 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I ship everything online thru UPS...so I have every tracking since day one and signatures.

It appears I'm missing out on the "Confirmed Address" crap... looks like I'll have to "confirm" all the f-ing people I deal with..

B
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Jul 8 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #16

DAMN, I'm out $56 DAMN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #17

CSOBOSC founding member

Brad,

Not a bad idea to sweep the account one in a while too. I get antsy if I have more then fifteen hundred bucks in there... Checks usually only take about a week to get if you want to keep it off you bank account records (just cash it at your bank and take the cash...)

I use UPS too exclusively. USPS is a PITA to file claims with and you have to pay the extra and get a receipt from the post office. All UPS shipments are automatically insured for $100 and they are fast to settle claims.

sm
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #18

CSOBOSC founding member

Is the phone number bogus or out of service, or no luck that way?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 8 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #19

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

BTW....if you go to www.paypalsucks.com there is the secret phone number for customer service......
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 8 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #20

CSOBOSC founding member

BTW, I hate to be the one that tells you.............................. it may be $66. Here is the second part of the Paypal policy (not uncommon for banks):

" What is the Chargeback Settlement Fee?

To cover the cost of processing chargebacks, PayPal assesses a $10 fee to sellers who are determined to be at fault for credit card payment chargebacks. The $10 fee will be waived in those cases where the sellers have fulfilled all of the requirements of PayPal's Seller Protection Policy. The $10 fee will also be waived for all sellers participating in our PayPal Preferred program."

So if you collect from the buyer, don't forget to add it.

sm
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:23 PM