Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Karl's Letter to Excellence, Re: Korijo
914Timo
post Jul 9 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

Very nice article, Karl. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

But, you wrote "...individuals and companies across the contry." You forgot me. You should have wrote "....individuals and companies around the world." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) LOL !!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 9 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Ha ha...TIMO !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I dont think you actually had contributed to the fund when Karl wrote that email to them.

B
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jul 9 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #23

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

Karl,
great letter to Excellence about Dave.
Panorama is part of the reason I'm not a pca member any longer.

B wrote:
Worthless FUCKSTICKS

WOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
I've never heard that one before, cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
meursault
post Jul 9 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #24

Idjit Savant

Member No.: 355

I just looked at the 914-8 letter and response in the new Excellence.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded.

This guy mentions some unnamed book that says six were made, two of which went to Ferry Porsche, to to a "couple of doctors from New Jersey", and two to "I don't remember where."

This guy has a problem with the overuse of multiplication and fabrication.

Faulty evidence, faulty information, faulty logic and connections.

Then, the magazine staff comes off sounding like they know less about 914s than this guy.

Why the hell did they print this waste of space?

And who the hell would allow some clueless prep school girl to drive and wreck a 914 with a race engine?

Idiots.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 9 2003, 02:43 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I'll have to wait a while before I can get my hands on a copy, so thanks for scanning Z!

Excellent article Karl, but I'd have to second Timo's motion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But what really matters is that Korijo got his chair and Van (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 9 2003, 02:50 AM
Post #26

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

Karl, way to go, bud!

Jeroen wrote:

Then, the magazine staff comes off sounding like they know less about 914s than this guy.  Why the hell did they print this waste of space?

Well, you can't have too much positive press about 914 owners, without taking a moment to make some of us look like dip-sticks, I guess.

-Rusty
I really need to drive my car soon.
+Quote Post
Anton
post Jul 9 2003, 04:08 AM
Post #27

Royal Orange

Member No.: 473

A very good effort, Karl.
I think that this Chris Hoogenboom should (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stfu.gif)

Amazing what they sometimes will publish without checking any references! In my line of work you can become "persona non grata" and even fired if you report unfounded (i.e., false) data!
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post Jul 9 2003, 10:32 AM
Post #28

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Didn't Chris's other sister own the elusive second produced 914 limo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolling.gif)

Karl and Brad et all - outstanding job and I admire you all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jul 9 2003, 12:03 PM
Post #29

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Hey everyone (especially our "resident aliens").

I know you're just messing with me, but the published letter is an edited version of the letter I sent...

Here is the original text....

>>Dear Excellence:

Our friend Korijo needs a wheelchair and a van. The f_sticks at PCA don't care, so maybe you can help.

Please solicit your readers for help (but be sure to exclude the invitation to foreigners).<<

Just kidding...

Here is the original letter.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jul 9 2003, 12:12 PM
Post #30

Shriveled member

Oh crap... it's at home.

I'll post it later.

Regards,

Karl
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jul 9 2003, 05:45 PM
Post #31

Shriveled member

My original letter...

>>April 25, 2003

Excellence Magazine
Attn: Pete Stout, Editor
42 Digital Drive, #5
Novato, CA 94949
Fax: 415-382-0587

RE: Article idea for Excellence. The Porsche community needs your help.

Dear Mr. Stout:

I am a 16-year Porsche owner and I'd like to inform you about a wonderful thing that is currently happening in the Porsche community. I think what I am about to tell you would make an excellent article for inclusion in the next issue of Excellence magazine. It is important to note, that time is of the essence.

One of our fellow Porsche-enthusiasts is dying of ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease). Dave Cawdrey, or "Korijo" as he is known in the 914 Internet communities, is only 28 years old. ALS is a fatal neuromuscular disease characterized by progressive muscle weakness resulting in paralysis. Additional information about ALS, can be found at the following website... www.lougehrigsdisease.net

Dave is married to a beautiful wife, Kori, and they have 2 handsome little boys: Keone David is 18 months old and Elijah David is 1 month old. Dave was formerly a sponsored professional skateboarder and also worked in the construction industry.

Now, due to his fight with ALS, he uses his time by playing with his sons and working on his Porsche 914 with the help of fellow 914world.com members Chris Reale & Geoff Bartelmes, along with a few others in the Seattle area. ALS has brought Dave to the point of barely being able to use his hands & arms, so Chris has helped Dave with electrical stuff like lights, dropping his engine and splitting the engine case (Geoff also helped split the case) and with restoring his suspension. Geoff also helped Dave weld in a new floor pan, battery tray, and engine shelf.

Dave was turned onto the Porsche 914 because he was a VW lover and found out that 914s share a lot in common with the VW. He found his Porsche 914 on E-bay, bought it, and then he and a friend drove it back to Seattle, where he began its restoration into an autocross car for his children. His desire is to leave his children a legacy, a car built for them by their father... Dave also has a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle that has been fully restored and is quite stunning to look at.
Here is a link to a website for Volkswagen project...
http://www.nwfreshmarkets.com/bug_project.html.

Dave's current Porsche 914 restoration can be seen at the following website... http://www.nwfreshmarkets.com/914_Project.html

While being consumed by the Porsche 914 bug, he naturally has car parts all over the house, some of which his son Keone likes to get into and play with. Keone had a full roll cage in his room, something most kids cannot claim to have had! His wife, Kori is originally from Oregon, and is a sweet person, and has quite a bit of patience dealing with Dave and his car parts.

Here's why am writing you... Dave Cawdrey is in need of a motorized wheelchair and a wheel-chair adaptable van in the very near future. As his ALS progresses, Dave will continue to lose function in his hands, arms, legs, and feet, and eventually will be completely immobilized. His new wheelchair will have to be adaptable for a ventilator, because in the upcoming year(s), Dave will require the assistance of a breathing device. Dave is covered by Medicare, but has already been denied coverage for his wheelchair. And, of course, any transportation needs will need to be paid for on his own, or through the assistance of others. Motorized wheelchairs can cost upwards of $10,000 to $20,000, and even a decent used van, capable of handling his needs, will cost just as much, if not more.

That's where this story turns wonderful. The tight-knit Internet community of Porsche enthusiasts (with the help of fellow Porsche 914 nuts like Bruce Allert and Brad Roberts), has already taken it upon itself to create a fundraising effort for Dave "Korijo". Here are the links from two of the most popular Porsche 914 chat boards (one hosted by Pelican Parts, and the other by 914world.com) that started this effort...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=1047&st=0

and

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=105346

Others in the Porsche community are also stepping up to the plate. SSI Motorsports (maker's of the famed SSI stainless heat exchangers for the Porsche 911) is having a charity swap meet for Dave.

http://www.ssimotorsports.com/swapmeet2/spring01.htm

In the past three weeks alone, we have raised over $8,000 for Dave's wheelchair and van. Individuals across the country (914 enthusiasts, 911 enthusiasts, and the like) have answered the call and have donated cash, checks, or money through a special Paypal account set up by the folks on 914world.com. Donations have often been made with the dollars and cents corresponding to the Porsche-type the contributors owned (i.e., $49.14, $109.11, $9.68). Some members, unable to donate funds directly, have contributed in their own unique way.

For example, David McLaughlin, a fellow 914 enthusiast and artist, produces beautiful custom-airbrushed t-shirts of cars for their owners. You can see some of his artwork at…
http://www.artechnika.com.

He typically sells his shirts for $20 to $40. Mr. McLaughlin recently put one of his shirts on E-bay as a charity fundraiser for this effort. A bidding war between 911 and 914 enthusiasts ensued, and the final selling price was $405.00. Recently, other Porsche enthusiasts have begun donating new and used parts for sale with the proceeds going for David's new wheelchair and van.

How can Excellence Magazine help? We'd like to get some coverage in the next issue of Excellence. We'd like to spread the word to all Porsche enthusiasts to ask for their assistance in this noble effort. This story is truly inspiring, and I feel that the outpouring of support shows the true generosity of Americans and the bond felt by Porsche enthusiasts everywhere.

For further information about how to donate, please contact

SSI Motorports
C/O Brad Roberts
20 Pamaron Way
Novato, Ca. 94949
Phone: (415) 883-2000

David "Korijo" Cawdrey can be reached via e-mail at... kjcawdrey@msn.com. He said he would make himself available for an interview and provide photographs if necessary.

In addition, I have contacted the owners of Pelican Parts (www.pelicanparts.com) and 914world.com (www.914world.com) and they have no issue with their company being mentioned in relation to this fundraising effort.

Mr. Stout, I know this is short notice, but we appreciate anything you and the fine folks at Ross Publications can do to help our efforts for Dave.

Sincerely,

Karl M. Ellzey
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 9 2003, 06:21 PM
Post #32

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

Great Letter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

As far as editing goes - It survived very well in the printed version.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 9 2003, 06:23 PM
Post #33

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 8 2003, 11:01 PM)
Worthless FUCKSTICKS (I can say that here).

I think that brings just cause for a smiley Fuckstick.
What'cha all think??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Who can design one?
bruce
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 9 2003, 06:25 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I'm not sure how we would draw a "Fuckstick"

B
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Jul 9 2003, 06:47 PM
Post #35

CSOBOSC founding member

Member No.: 602

Tried my best, but I guess this is more of a d-head...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 9 2003, 07:58 PM
Post #36

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Looks kinda like Brad sometimes.......

Geoff
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 9 2003, 08:14 PM
Post #37

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

alright, heres mine.. and no, I wont put the word in..

Edit: Darn, the green shows up, and you cant see the word.. (says %&$*) Oh well! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 9 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #38

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

QUOTE(Malmz @ Jul 9 2003, 05:47 PM)
Tried my best, but I guess this is more of a d-head...

LMAO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
burce
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 9 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #39

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

I foundstole/borrowed my Avatar on the net somewhere....Malmzx new one is good....sawzall champ of SoCal...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 9 2003, 09:57 PM
Post #40

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Wonderful letter. What's next. Sounds like the PCA forgot about the occasional kind expression. Must ne be able to see around the piles of money. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) BTW MALMZ, Your avatar is disturbing. I just kept staring at it hoping it would start running in reverse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolling.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:12 AM