Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shipping Type IV Heads
bbrock
post Jan 10 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Getting ready to ship mine off for rebuild. Anyone shipped them recently and know the cheapest (but safe) way to ship? I don't even have a scale to weigh them but am hauling one into town this afternoon to get a weight and scope out boxes. But wondering how you experienced guys ship them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
Mblizzard
post Jan 10 2018, 03:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

A couple extra layers of cardboard and the fit in a large USPS flat rate. Never had an issue but insure them.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jan 10 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #3

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have either double boxed them or used a much bigger box and lots of stuffing. Never had a problem.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 10 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Thanks guys. I just got back from town and picked up a couple large flat rate boxes but forgot to take a head to weigh it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Anyone know what one weighs?

Anyway, yes, I can fit one head in a flat rate box but can't quite get both in one box. So two large flat rate boxes would cost $37.70 plus insurance to ship. I guessed the weight of a head at 15 lbs. and plugged some numbers into the UPS and FedEx online calculators, figuring for a box large enough to fit both heads with padding. All three options come out within $1 of each other for ground shipping and it seems there is some wiggle room in box size with the non-USPS options. So, if my weight guestimate is close, I think I'll go with one of those options so I can add more cushion for protection. The fit in the flat rate box is really tight. You'd think we'd have a bathroom scale around here, but we don't.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 10 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I've cut cardboard about 4" wider than the head in strips long enough to roll up the head in 2-3 layers. That gives you 2" on either side of the head for cushion, and 3 layers of cardboard pads the head nicely. I'd probably ship one per box regardless.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 11 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Thanks for all the advice guys. I wound up boxing them together in one box because I had a good sized box on hand and a bunch of heavy duty cotton batting packing material that my wife got in a package recently. Really good stuff that I'd never seen before. these suckers are well-padded.

Last question, how much insurance for two good 2.0L cores, old valve keepers, and a set of NOS OEM valve springs and guides? I'm thinking $800 for the lot, but that might be a bit high. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 12 2018, 06:12 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Price sounds good.
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jan 12 2018, 07:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

Sorry I'm late to the party but I came across this and thought it would be useful to add to your thread for future reference.

https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/11/23/how...s-for-shipping/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:49 AM