Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dont beat yourself up. Share your 914 Pain, What silly thing did you do to hurt yourself?
Mark Henry
post Jan 11 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #21

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Too big of a list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

One memorable one was slipping with a long very thin straight screwdriver and stabbing right through my thumb at the cuticle, I at least hit the bone. Five inch long shaft, thru and thru halfway down the shaft.

Too busy to go to emergency, I knew they couldn't do much more than pull it out and my tetanus was up to date.
So I sucked it up and yanked it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

We need an ouchy smiley (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 11 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I may have the mother of all stupid moves. Thankfully, I'm still here to tell the story. I had just completed a several weekend's long project in my parent's garage welding a partial front clip into my first 914 and was in a hurry to get back home to college. I hopped in the car with my then girlfriend following. About a half mile after hitting highway speed past the I-70 on-ramp, the front left of the car dropped to the ground and a shower of sparks made an impressive rooster tail behind me into the dark night. Mind you, this project was my first introduction to welding (an idiot move in itself), so of course I assumed my car had broken in half. As I slid to the shoulder, I saw my left front wheel careen down the highway in front of me. The clip, and my welds, were fine, but I had neglected to tighten the lug bolts on the wheel in my rush to leave.

I was able to bolt the wheel back on with spare bolts and be on my way. But there is a strange twist. When I got out of my car, my girlfriend who thought she was witnessing my fiery death, pulled over too; but a stranger in a van was also pulled over. I figured my wheel must have hit his car. No, he was oblivious to the pyrotechnic show in front of him and had simply changed lanes without looking and smacked my girlfriend's car by pure coincidence.

And the most bizarre part of the story is that my girlfriend apparently thought, "This guy is a moron, I think I'll marry him." And she has witnessed countless stupid stunts for over 32 years. Ever had your scrotum bitten by a wolf? Been there done that. But that isn't 914-related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKYTk4DMZ30
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 11 2018, 12:01 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Bad combo:

Sweat pants + angle grinder with wire brush attachment w/no guard.

Got a little too close to the wheel, it grabbed my sweat pants and got yanked out of my hands, luckily it stopped spinning before doing any damage to my frank and beans! Did leave a mark on my legs.

+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 11 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

I've had more than a few:

- Regularly cut myself with the angle grinder and cut off wheel

- Set my shirt on fire welding upside down

- While laying on my back under the car, rolled my own shoulder out of socket tightening a bolt. Stuck under car on creeper...
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 11 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

When I look in the mirror every morning the fat scar on my chin reminds me that the Porsche ball joint socket tool is to be used for INSTALLATION ONLY!!

Pulling a 2ft breaker bar into your face leaves a nice and very permanent reminder to not be dumb.
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Jan 11 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,897
Region Association: Northern California

During a 109 degree day last September, I figured the best way to cool off would be to crawl under the engineless teener and clean the underside. Smart and Final industrial cleaner and a hose were making short work of removing years of crud while the pool of runoff I was laying in provided a much needed cool down. I did have safety goggles on but they kept fogging up so off they went. Was feeling irritation in my eyes so I rinsed with the hose as needed and kept plugging away. The car came out great and I was off to the shower followed by a 33 degree beer. As the evening went on, my right eye got worse and I eventually ended up going to the emergency room. This was after giving up on the self medication plan that got me pretty loopy by the time I got to the hospital. Got pulled over on the way back a few houses from home for a bad headlight. Good thing I was not driving and the officer took pity on us..
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/signal914.jpg) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/287.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted_cop.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 11 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #27

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 10 2018, 07:57 PM) *

Happened a long time ago.

I unbolted a muffler while lying underneath the car. I removed the last bolt and dropped it on my head.

Top that.

I resemble that remark.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 11 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #28

can't remember

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 11 2018, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 10 2018, 10:57 PM) *

I unbolted a muffler while lying underneath the car. I removed the last bolt and dropped it on my head.

Top that.

After removing the engine/tranny, with car supported with blocking under wheels, i was un-torquing inner bolt on rear trailing arm when car rolled off blocking with me u!
Fortunately i had some beefy foam blocking under longs so car didn't flatten me under there. (Emergency brakes non functional then)
Could have been all over for me.

This was funny till i realized I might have died...
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 11 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #29

can't remember

QUOTE(worn @ Jan 11 2018, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 11 2018, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 10 2018, 10:57 PM) *

Top that.

After removing the engine/tranny, with car supported with blocking under wheels, i was un-torquing inner bolt on rear trailing arm when car rolled off blocking with me u!
Fortunately i had some beefy foam blocking under longs so car didn't flatten me under there. (Emergency brakes non functional then)
Could have been all over for me.

This was funny till i realized I might have died...

My wife is laughing at these thinking of me. So many flaming clothes. Still, I am guessing that these are from the safety prom committee. Please be careful out there folks. Worst case scenario, you end up old with failing hearing and eyesight. Best if you can blame your genes, but not your actions.
Ever tell you about the time I let my newly restored car roll across the street and into the neighbors award winning garden?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 11 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #30

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Thought the insight of how easy it is to hurt yourself might get a few of us thinking. I know I will be wearing safety glasses from now on.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jan 12 2018, 02:38 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Attached Image

Socket shattered on lower suspension nut
Hand flew backwards onto tin plate dust shield behind brake disc peeling it wide open
Quite spectacular as I was wearing a white T shirt & walked into UK A&E (ER) looking like an extra in a B rate horror movie
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 12 2018, 03:20 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I've never bothered with safety glasses but after getting some crap in my eye at one point and the cute female eye doctor got very upset at my unability to keep my eye open for her so she could get the debris out I've started using a full face visor with using the angle grinder or cutoff wheel.....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 12 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #33

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 12 2018, 04:20 AM) *

I've never bothered with safety glasses but after getting some crap in my eye at one point and the cute female eye doctor got very upset at my unability to keep my eye open for her so she could get the debris out I've started using a full face visor with using the angle grinder or cutoff wheel.....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
One day the cutoff wheel will come apart and bounce harmlessly off your face shield and you will feel like a genius. BTDT.
My dad - A surgeon- had told me when I was young to always pay attention to where my fingers where. He had seen too many tradesman come into the ER with fingers missing from their hands.
An impact wrench is a great tool. Chugga chugga instead of bolt letting go followed by o-crap.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jan 12 2018, 08:13 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

Cool stories.

Well for this 914 project. I was checking the fuel pressure regulator to see if it was working and as soon as I gently loosened the fuel line a gush of fuel hit my face and in my eyes. That was fun and a funny garage moment.

I like funny things that happened in the garage. What happens in the gararge stays in the garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Big Ed
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jan 13 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #35

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I once sprained my thumb while writing a check for another 914. I guess that's about it except the time I changed my fuel filter in a roadside park and gas ran down my arm and into the puncture wound from having blood drawn the day before. Eventually looked like a nasty spider bite, skin was just falling off.

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:58 AM