Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turbo 914 (1.8 type-4), Turbocharging my 1.8 type-4 for a school project... can anyone give me some advice?
Mueller
post Jan 12 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 12 2018, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2018, 11:08 AM) *

Chances are you have D-jet, not too complicated if you read this site below, great wealth of information:

He indicated the engine is a 1.8, so it's probably L-jet.

Totally missed that! Thanks!

Of course the 1.8 I bought last year had D-jet installed on it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 12 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2018, 12:27 AM) *

Berg made a kit, it was expensive. For a few bucks more one could do an engine swap to a Chevy or the like.

I don't think you will find that many other car models from the same era that has that many aftermarket turbo installs except maybe VW Bugs.

Gene Berg never made a turbo kit, and he never did anything T4. Maybe Bernie Bergman made a kit.
Type 1 is easier to turbo as it has closer together, evenly spaced head studs.
Big downfall with the T4 is the head stud arraignment, one reason Mark turbos the 1.7 because it has smaller ID cylinders, so therefore the cylinders have thicker walls.

I'm sure some one has said "you can't turbo a 914", you can, it's even better now because of aftermarket FI/ignition, but the benefit to cost ratio doesn't make it a great choice.

What I'd try to run by your instructors is build a MS (megasquirt) FI system, then build modified motorcycle ITB's and maybe also a single plenum/TB design and do a comparative study between the two intake systems.

Below is a link to what I did for motorcycle ITB's, myself and many others here would help with any questions you have.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...w=&st=&
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 12 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,593

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2018, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 12 2018, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2018, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 12 2018, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jan 12 2018, 05:54 AM) *

I'd like to see this when you get done, and I'm not too far away. Could maybe time it with a visit to a brother in Belle River. He's a grad of your program that works across the river for one of the big three.

Forsure, whenever you are near! Thanks for all the advice! To be honest the FI scares me but I will cross that bridge when I need too. Was think I might try a do some sort of carb set up, but I’m not sure. I do like the idea of running on meth.

Sorry, you HAVE to learn how FI works to be any sort of decent Engineer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If you promise to finish it and learn from it, just pay for shipping and I'll send you a partially built Megasquirt for no charge as I have decided this morning to spend the $ and buy a Microsquirt.

If interested I'll post a picture of how far along the assembly is.
Kit is similar to this one: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasqu...t-w-black-case/

I would be very interested. It is not FI that is confusing to me. It is the 914's FI (what system to use etc.). I need to start somewhere. this would be a huge help, as obviously I am working with a student budget.

Cheers,

Blake

P.s. I sincerely promise I would finish it. It's how I learn best.

Chances are you have D-jet, not too complicated if you read this site below, great wealth of information:

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

If you L-jet with the flapper (which I prefer over D-Jet just because I've had more 914's with it):

https://www.type4.org/manuals/ljet/

HPBooks- "How to Rebuild Your VOLKSWAGEN Air-Cooled Engine" by Tom Wilson arrived in the mail about 5 minutes ago. Looks like I'll be reading for the rest of today.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 12 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

That book is OK but it's quite dated on fuel/ignition system and IIRC it's more for the type one beetle engine. The two engines are similar so it will give you a basic understanding of how they work.
With the type one and type four (914) engine the best analogy is V8's world of small block vs big block. The T4 would be the big block, very similar engines, but not quite the same.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 14 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Here it is:

Attached Image

I'd redo the harness, just use for parts.

I'm including the megastim as well.

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/stim/

Assembly manual for it:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V357_Hardware-3.4.pdf
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 14 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #26

This is so awesome and generous of you. I am extremely thankful. Are you sure you don't want anything for it? Looks perfect, yes I will redo the harness, going to start completely from scratch.

Do you need any info from me?

cheers,

Blake
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 14 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

If you've got a big project ahead of you getting the chassis sorted, do yourself a favor and just get a stock engine running to drive the car first. Engineering big power engines on paper is fun, but making them a reality is HARD, time consuming and expensive.

From what I'm reading of your posts, you're biting off more than anyone can chew. Don't start every project at once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Unless, of course, you have a nice fat savings account to pay for everything.
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 14 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #28

No, my savings account isn't huge, however, I have lots of parts, multiple engines, and transmissions, and am a pretty handy kid in the garage I would say, and have rebuilt a few engines (mainly SBC's). I do have tons of support from my professors and will have access to engine dynos and lots of technical help from them whenever I need. I know its crazy, but if it was easy everyone would do it. My father just bought a '74 "stock 914" that I can drive whenever I want. If I wanted a stock running car, I would go find a clean shell and get it running. I know it's going to be lots of work, but that's why I am doing it, it's for learning. Like I said, I'm not looking to get this finished by the summer, I'm taking my time, working on one step at a time. I bet many people told you, that what you were doing was crazy, but that didn't seem to stop you either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bellow is a video I have made, with the help of a friend describing the build if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eWMMq30Yyc&t=6s

+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jan 14 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,985

Awesome project! Sounds like an ambitious project, but it can be done. I built the 914 racecar in my avatar while I was in college and grad school (and a budget to match). So it can be done. You'll get lots of info. here when needed, and some parts too apparently (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Keep us posted.

Scott
+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2018, 02:21 AM
Post #30

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This thread warms my heart.

Good luck with this! Maybe you'll invent some stuff we can all use.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 15 2018, 05:26 AM
Post #31

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 14 2018, 05:32 PM) *
I bet many people told you, that what you were doing was crazy, but that didn't seem to stop you either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You completely misunderstand. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't. I'm saying the chassis is more important, and the bottom line of what I'm saying is that you should focus on that exclusively first. But you're FULLY capable of doing a turbo build. It's not rocket science. I'll gladly help. I'll share everything I know. But I've seen a lot of newbies come through here with grand ideas, only to get burned out, stalled, and give up.

If you wanna jump on it all right outta the gate, lets do it. What do you want to know?

I used a K03 turbo off of a 1.8VW/AUDI engine for my engine. I built a custom exhaust header using prebent piping from Summit Racing. I chose to put the turbo up high to allow for gravity oil drain and that worked fine for me. It also kept plumbing to a minimum. I'm running about 7lbs of boost and because of the small turbo there's no noticeable turbo lag. It's just always there. During testing and fiddling with the turbo settings I saw boost as high as 1bar. Didn't blow anything up right away.

You're going to be dealing with heat if you're trying to make big power from a small engine using a turbo. And unlike water-cooled cars, there's not much you can do that isn't fantastically expensive. So you have to give up some potential (in my opinion) to play it safe.

I think fuel injection is necessary for a well built turbo engine. Carbs can be run, and people have done it successfully, but it's always a bit of a hack.

So what else do you wanna know?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 15 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have done a low boost turbo set up before. I did this 100% by myself with lots of research on a -6 3.0.. I ran 6 psi of boost using a 3.2 intake and megasquirt.. I was not a megasquirt expert but it worked fantastic for me.. I did blow that engine up when the wastegate signal line melted as it was too close to the exhaust. I then built a 3.2 short stroke out of it and went with a divided housing turbo and dual wastegates and bumped it to 9 psi with 8:1 compression ratio.. It was extremely reliable but the learning curve was expensive.. The type 4 project will be fun for you and for us to read about.. Enjoy the process but be prepared for set backs.

And just because I can I will share my 3.2 ss picture you will notice a few things changed along the way with exhaust and the intercooler.. Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 15 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I'd say there are plenty of turbo type4's. They are just not in 914's but in beetles or busses. Look in the type4:um on Shoptalkforums and you will find reading a plenty and also alot of people with knowledge.

The challenge with the 914 and turbo as I see it is getting a working intercooler setup without hacking the body to bits. Some sort of Boxster like air intake behind the doors would probably be the most elegant solution, maybe IC on one side and oilcooler on the other?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 15 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 15 2018, 06:11 AM) *

I'd say there are plenty of turbo type4's. They are just not in 914's but in beetles or busses. Look in the type4:um on Shoptalkforums and you will find reading a plenty and also alot of people with knowledge.

The challenge with the 914 and turbo as I see it is getting a working intercooler setup without hacking the body to bits. Some sort of Boxster like air intake behind the doors would probably be the most elegant solution, maybe IC on one side and oilcooler on the other?

Yes that would be ideal.. Much like the rendering that optimusglen did..
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 15 2018, 12:10 PM
Post #35

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Member ejm on here built a 1.8 liter turbo four as well. IIRC, he used the turbo off a VW 1.8T, likely for the same reasons McMark did. He also ran CIS from (I think) an Audi 5-cylinder motor, using the 5th line for extra enrichment?

Member Evill Ed built a 1.7 turbo quite a long time ago. When the 1.7 started having problems I believe he bumped it up to a 1911cc. I don't remember the engine management, but he did have water/methanol injection to help with temps.

Another member here owns that car, and may have made improvements since.

Good ol' SammyG from Pelican built a 2.0 turbo. He used a draw-through carb setup. He admitted it wasn't optimal, but it did work. I think I remember that the car and engine were sold separately, and the turbo setup didn't go with either.

Finally: "Everybody knows you can't turbocharge a 914!" That is a quote from an old "european car" issue, which was widely derided at the time by those of us who had seen (or a few who had built!) the above cars. It's become a catch-phrase in many on-line 914 circles.

--DD
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jan 15 2018, 03:10 PM
Post #36

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Kinda confused why you would do a aircooled turbo

Instead of watercooled

Or turbo diesal

The car with the audi turbo is really cool

As would a ecotech (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 15 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 15 2018, 06:26 AM) *

QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 14 2018, 05:32 PM) *
I bet many people told you, that what you were doing was crazy, but that didn't seem to stop you either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You completely misunderstand. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't. I'm saying the chassis is more important, and the bottom line of what I'm saying is that you should focus on that exclusively first. But you're FULLY capable of doing a turbo build. It's not rocket science. I'll gladly help. I'll share everything I know. But I've seen a lot of newbies come through here with grand ideas, only to get burned out, stalled, and give up.

If you wanna jump on it all right outta the gate, lets do it. What do you want to know?

I used a K03 turbo off of a 1.8VW/AUDI engine for my engine. I built a custom exhaust header using prebent piping from Summit Racing. I chose to put the turbo up high to allow for gravity oil drain and that worked fine for me. It also kept plumbing to a minimum. I'm running about 7lbs of boost and because of the small turbo there's no noticeable turbo lag. It's just always there. During testing and fiddling with the turbo settings I saw boost as high as 1bar. Didn't blow anything up right away.

You're going to be dealing with heat if you're trying to make big power from a small engine using a turbo. And unlike water-cooled cars, there's not much you can do that isn't fantastically expensive. So you have to give up some potential (in my opinion) to play it safe.

I think fuel injection is necessary for a well built turbo engine. Carbs can be run, and people have done it successfully, but it's always a bit of a hack.

So what else do you wanna know?

The chassis is what I am working on right now. I am in second year, and will have to complete a big project in 4th year called capstone. SO what my professors have suggested is to try to get everything else on the car fixed, then come forth year I will spend most of my time on the engine component.

I was given a k03 off an a4 as well and was planning on using it. Found a $50 rebuild kit on eBay...

It is so cold outside right now, however, that my time is better spent learning (it's really amazing how much you can learn from some books) and planning right now, rather than freeze and getting frustrated outside. Just reading your turbo thread has taught so much. My apologies for the misinterpretation.

Fuel injection is definitely what I am going to do. Thank you to "mueller" for convincing me:)... excited to learn how to use and build megasquirt.

Heat is a concern, someone above mentioned I should try water-math injection to help keep temps down... What do you think about this? Also going to use forged JE pistons, just to be safe, and of course a big oil cooler was always going to be part of the plan. I have done some sketches of a turbo system for a 914 (did it for a design project in first year), that I will post when I get the chance. They are pretty basic, nothing special, but gives a good idea of how I'd like the setup to be.

I will have questions for you periodically, trust me. I'll also say that I completely understand tons of people come on here and say they are going to do incredible things, and end up failing. I am very determined with this car and I promise I won't give up until it is everything I say it's going to be. It means everything to me.

Thanks for the help and support, this isn't the last you've heard of me!

Blake

P.s. I posted a link bellow with a youtube video my friend made with me, that i talk about the build in. He has a youtube channel, and has suggested we do periodic "build updates" every few months.
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 15 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(98101 @ Jan 15 2018, 03:21 AM) *

This thread warms my heart.

Good luck with this! Maybe you'll invent some stuff we can all use.

That's the plan. Thanks for the support, helps me stay motivated!
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 15 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 15 2018, 08:56 AM) *

I have done a low boost turbo set up before. I did this 100% by myself with lots of research on a -6 3.0.. I ran 6 psi of boost using a 3.2 intake and megasquirt.. I was not a megasquirt expert but it worked fantastic for me.. I did blow that engine up when the wastegate signal line melted as it was too close to the exhaust. I then built a 3.2 short stroke out of it and went with a divided housing turbo and dual wastegates and bumped it to 9 psi with 8:1 compression ratio.. It was extremely reliable but the learning curve was expensive.. The type 4 project will be fun for you and for us to read about.. Enjoy the process but be prepared for setbacks.

And just because I can I will share my 3.2 ss picture you will notice a few things changed along the way with exhaust and the intercooler.. Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

The learning curve is expensive and time-consuming. Definitely prepared for setbacks, too be completely honest, sometimes setbacks are how I learn best sometimes. I have said, "I will never do it that way again", many times while taking the car apart. Funny actually while disassembling the engine (I did this on a cinderblock on the floor of my garage), I don't know why I decided to do this, but I thought I would be able to split the case and slide the pistons through the holes in the case, keeping the pistons, rods, and crank as one assembly. So I split the case and found out very quickly that the piston will not go through the holes in the case. This mistake took me 3 weeks and an angle grinder to figure out how to fix. It's a good thing I have a couple engines lol.
+Quote Post
holtby914
post Jan 15 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 15 2018, 09:11 AM) *

I have an idea for the intercooler. My car isn't in the best shape, so originality is not a concern. If a body panel gets in my way... bye bye panel. Some people may not like this too much.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:18 PM