Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4-lug Fuchs or 5-lug Fuchs
Cal
post Jan 13 2018, 10:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

I've posted several threads recently regarding Fuchs and tire types/sizes. I'm on the fence about staying with the stock 4-lug alloys that came on my 2.0L car or converting over to a 5-lug to run the 911 deep sixes. If I did the conversion I'd probably use PMB's kit. My question is.....am I an absolute idiot to even consider doing this to an original unmolested '74 2.0L? I know it's my car and I can do whatever I want but I'm looking for advise / opinions. If I did the conversion with Eric's kit could I ever convert it back to a 4-lug without much trouble. If I left the car unaltered I'd at least replace the old 165/SR15 tires with the period correct Michelin XWX or the Pirelli CN36's in the 185/70/15 size. Below are photos of the car....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jan 13 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

That car is beautiful. I would keep the 4 lugs, especially on a narrow body. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When i had a narrow body LE i used 195/60-15 tires which gave it a slightly more updated look IMO

But i would leave that car as is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Jan 13 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Leave it original, new original tires would be nice
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 13 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

As you mentioned, your car, your decision.
I personally think your car looks very nice and classic in this configuration especially with the 165s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

That said, I'm sure it would be as classic with the deep Fuchs but maybe also keep the era tire size.

As for getting things back to stock after a 5 lug conversion, it's just bolt on stuff so that's not a show stopper. Yes rear hubs need to be pressed out of the bearing but still OK. Depending on what conversion you are referring to, if you go 911 front strut, then you will want to replace your master cylinder to a 19mm to match the 911 caliper. If drilled front rotors, then that's straightforward in the front, no master swap needed as you keep your current fr calipers.

Tough decision, Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
And if you decide to do the conversion, we will absolutely want to see pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
abes914
post Jan 13 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,880

your car is gorgeous! 4 lug Fuchs looks just right on yours.
I love my car lowered a bit with sportier tires.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 13 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think you are correct about Eric’s kit being the way to go. It would be easy to switch back. That being said, I can’t think of a nicer looking stock four.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 13 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #7

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've never really understood the five bolt conversion on a narrow body car. What is the gain? To me, it just says "look at me, I'm a real Porsche". A silver '74 2.0 is right in the sweet spot of 914 desirability and your four lug Fuchs look spectacular....although IMHO four lug Mahles look even better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 13 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I really love the deep sixes, but on your car, which is just stunning, I would have to keep it original. Replace the tires and enjoy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 13 2018, 11:20 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Besides time and money, easy to go back to original.

To me a 5 lug conversion is something that I could have imagined dealerships offering as a service/upgrade since it could be done with all factory parts.

For personal use I think the redrilled /4 hubs are okay and that is what my current '73 came with. If for a vehicle that you planned on selling in the future a proper 5 lug conversion would have more value to me and I think others as well. (vented rotors, ability for even more upgrades)

I think your car looks great with the 4 lug Fuchs. That being said I think it would look good with 5 lugs Fuchs as well.

Why only "good"? Chances are the 5 lugs will be your typical silver with black background, right now the 4 lugs have a more subtle contrast which is visually appealing to me.

+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Jan 13 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #10

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Your car would look great with deep six' (more black) , but keep the original parts if you ever want to go back to original. I'm sure you'll get a lot of pressure from here to sell your 2.0L fuchs ( they look great) but I'd hang onto them.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 13 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Jeff, your car looks awesome as-is, but in my opinion, deep sixes or even flat sixes would look glorious on your car. I doubt you would ever go back to four lug when you see it for the first time, but you'd probably want to keep that Fuchs set with the car.
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jan 13 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,697

I saw this car in person last year at Hershey and it looked very nice:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=Euromeister

I understand the feeling of not wanting to mess with a nice car given they have gained so much value in the last years but it also comes down to you enjoying owning it and modifying it if that's what you like.

The conversion is bolt on if you go with all the correct parts which I'm sure Eric can give great advice on the matter.

One question , would you like to upgrade the brakes on the car? That could make your choice easier...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 13 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #13

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Jeff,

I'm sure that you can guess that my opinion on a beautiful original 73-74 2L like yours will be to keep it stock & period correct.

Another reason to keep with the stock-ish sizes that nobody is mentioning here, is "Ghost Mileage" - wherein the odometer error of +/-10% will significantly devalue an original 2L like yours over time driving it, & showing more mileage than actual.

Member Todd on here who has restored several low original mile 73-74 2L learned that lesson the hard way, when he lost some sale price upon his refurbishment/clean-up of the Bahia Red 73 2L IIRC due to the 195/65HR15s that he used on it for a time driving it.

185/70R15 or 185/75R15 are the closest diameter to the OE 165HR15 (165/80R15) size that were original 73-76 2Ls, & so only have a tiny error.

Use this tire size calculator to see the errors for various sizes yourself:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=...80r15-195-65r15

Despite the seeming flood of big tire boyz on here who think that 914 tires have to be big, low profile, fatties with modern treads - it is NOT the only nor best way to go for just new tires. Also, the current repops of Michelins, Pirellis, etc. are made with the modern rubber compounds anyway, and the classic tire tread patterns are in fact pretty effective on our older & lighter cars.

You'll actually get more "Loos" with a truly stock & period correct 914, from what I've seen at the 100+ PCA Concours & other car shows at which I've judged over the past decade, as well as around town. It's a historical & vintage/classic car thing.

There are also the Vredestien 185/70HR15 tires as an option at half the price of the Pirelli & XWX options:

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/185-70R15_c78.htm

But even with the most expensive Michelin XWXs on 5 wheels, I'm pretty sure that will be far more cost effective than the 5-lug parts, wheels & tires - & the 185/70VR15 is infinitesimally less tread on pavement than the 195/65R15 options.

There are also several OE size 165R15 (/80 in HR or VR) options if you want pure stock, & don't want to lose mpg with the wider 185s:

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/165R15_c70.htm

Coker & Universal tire stores also have classic/vintage tire options, but Lucas Tire is local to me in Long Beach CA, & they can get any tire from their UK affillieate Longstone Tyre - so I'm showing you them>

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/165x15.html

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/185x15.html

If you're looking for better performance, then go to 185/70R15 - if not but want the OE look & size of 165R15 (165/80R15) - all in the H, T or V speed ratings.

Sometimes it's just best & nicer looking to have & show-off a classic car as it was back in the day, without all of the resto-mod & hot-rodding tricks of today!
I'm sure that your avatar buddy Steve would agree! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You may also want to contact the guy with the Leistritz muffler question post in the Garage Forums.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
napasteve
post Jan 13 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #14

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

I waffled on this decision for a while too but ultimately I just love the look of the 5-lug Fuchs on our cars. Not a cheap change though; Wheels, refinishing wheels, tires, conversion parts and getting McMark/Tim to do the conversion came to slightly north of 5K. But I love the look....

Before
Attached Image

After
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 13 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I would not change a thing about that car!

You didnt mention what your motivation for wanting to change is (performance, appearance, something else?) but if it were me I would absolutely stay 4-bolt either way.

I think appearance wise you already have it nailed just the way it is. If you want a performance bump Vredestein Sprint Classics are supposed to be a pretty aggressive compound in an old school 165HR15 or 185HR15 package/tread pattern. If it were me I would go with the 165s as that is the stock spec though you would probably be fine with 185s as well. I would NOT go 195 or larger on the stock Fuchs as years of autocrossing and tire experimentation has taught me that as soon as tread width exceeds rim width you are adversely affecting the handling.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

If your goal is best possible handling VTO makes a 4-bolt 16X7 ET35 rim that fits a stock body. Running the wide rim with the low tire sidewall and an aggressive 205/16" tire makes a huge difference over anything you can do on the Fuchs. Keeps it 4 bolt so you can swap on the VTOs when you want to drive like a crazy person but still put the stock Fuchs back on when you feel like being pretty.

http://www.vtowheels.com/Classic-8-Wheel-1...35mm_p_395.html

Your car, your decision, but i say there is nothing wrong with the fact that it isnt six so why convert to 5 lug and pretend?
+Quote Post
type2man
post Jan 13 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,127
Region Association: South East States

Attached Image

CIP1 has wheel adapters for $120 shipped. The fitement is tight in the rear unless you are at stock height with skinny tires, plus the adapters make the wheels stick out a litle to give it a more aggressive stance. I know most people hate wheel adapters. Mine is lowered on adapters and I have 195/50 front and 195/55 rears on real 15x6 alloys.

+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jan 13 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Ran my 1.8 for a year with my 5 lug conversion, with my new found stopping power I decided to have a 3.2 installed so I could justify the 5 lug... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

You will do the same, you just don’t know it yet..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jan 13 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #18

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

4 lug all the way

If its not broken dont fix it

And i would assume 4 lug wheels have a lower weight
Which is more desirable to me fwiw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
cal44
post Jan 13 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,910
Region Association: Southwest Region

I get it..........not much better looking than the windmill Fuchs. But I'm also diggin' your 914 Fuchs.
I notice no one seems to mention Vredestein Sprint Classics.

I been using them for many years on 356's and 914's. Great looking tire.

https://www.cokertire.com/vredestein-sprint...rrow-tread.html
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 13 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Easy fix

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:04 AM