Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Craigslist 914 Mechanic, Is this person a member here?
bdstone914
post Jan 15 2018, 07:30 AM
Post #21

bdstone914

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,319

Looking more at the ad I would probably not use what ever service he is offering. Says he has pulled and installed engine, can adjust valves and do everything. Is he a legitimate California repair shop or someone who can turn wrenches in his driveway. Call him and see what he has to say.
I have heard many horror stories about self claimed mechanics who caused huge problems for the car owners. I am helping install an engine for a friend who used a shop with an incompetent mechanic. Finally cam to me after his engine burnt up because the air baflees were not in the engine directing air over the oil cooler and missing a back piece of cylinder tin. Had 40 PSI on that cylinder. Bad work is the most expensive to fix.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Jan 15 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

I live in Eastvale which is close to you. I'm willing to come over and help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jan 16 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #23

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

What kind of points setup in the dizzy? Is it pertronix or electronic? wired correctly?

If you can get the car to North Glendale I know a shop...
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Jan 16 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,132

Thanks to everyones input here, I really appreciate it. I actually slept on it after I originally posted. The very next morning with a refreshed mind and attitude, I was able to make some adjustments to the dizzy, double checked timing marks and bam! fired up ' Oh Happy Day'!.

A couple of VW shops I've spoke to in the past told me that they no longer take in 914's hence the discouraging effort to find some local help. I wound up heading down to the Pomona Swap Meet and met Angel of Angels Performance in Anaheim. He stated that he had experience with 914's and would have no problem performing a tune up for $80. Hopefully he has good experience with FI type 4 and can fix the acceleration issue that still exist.

Craig, Brad and other local guys to me, I will be in contact with you soon. I still want to go through some things on my 1.7l first before towing it down to the shop. I ordered a new bosch full pump today and I'm going to recheck all the related grounds.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Jan 16 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #25

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

Odd coincidence with the "Oh Happy Day" comment and the Death Fairy thread that says the guy who's famous for singing it died today.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Jan 17 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 21,793

right off the bat, I'd say DO NOT use this guy, because of the simple reason he is advertising his service in the CARS FOR SALE section, and that is totally wrong and only done by careless fly-by-night hacks. If he posted in the SERVICE section of CL, then good.
I sometimes call-out these people, and they are ALWAYS rude, saying they can do what-the-fck they want. If the ad works, people keep doing it. don't let it work.

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Jan 13 2018, 04:29 PM) *

I've seen this ad on craigslist (Los Angeles) offering 914 help. Just wondering if this person Brian is a member here. Looking for some local help with my car but not going to spend $250 for a Porsche mechanic to just inspect it.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d...6416309419.html

I need someone to recheck my valve adjustment, timing, dizzy and to bring a working MPS. I'm pretty sure I've screwed all this up as my 1.7l won't turn over now.

+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Jan 18 2018, 08:13 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,984

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Jan 17 2018, 06:32 PM) *

right off the bat, I'd say DO NOT use this guy, because of the simple reason he is advertising his service in the CARS FOR SALE section, and that is totally wrong and only done by careless fly-by-night hacks. If he posted in the SERVICE section of CL, then good.
I sometimes call-out these people, and they are ALWAYS rude, saying they can do what-the-fck they want. If the ad works, people keep doing it. don't let it work.

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Jan 13 2018, 04:29 PM) *

I've seen this ad on craigslist (Los Angeles) offering 914 help. Just wondering if this person Brian is a member here. Looking for some local help with my car but not going to spend $250 for a Porsche mechanic to just inspect it.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d...6416309419.html

I need someone to recheck my valve adjustment, timing, dizzy and to bring a working MPS. I'm pretty sure I've screwed all this up as my 1.7l won't turn over now.

new California for you
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Jan 18 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 21,132

FINALLY! FINALLY! FINALLY! Got her running! It was the freaking cheap MR. Gasket Fuel Pump that was the culprit. Man, you guys don't even know how happy I am to finally have acceleration now.

The previous fuel pump always primed and since the idle sounded great I never checked the voltage at the pump. Replaced all the vacuum lines, installed new TPS(914rubber), cleaned and gapped dizzy points, cleaned injectors, switched mps unit, cleaned up wiring harness, fixed bad ground points, inspected cylinder head sensor, replaced AAR hose(914rubber) with all the same effect. Just installed new Bosch pump ordered from Rock Auto and BAM! Rev City!!!

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 18 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #29

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Sometimes its the simple things in life that give it's the most enjoyment
+Quote Post
get off my lawn
post Jan 18 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,462

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 14 2018, 12:06 PM) *

How do you get to know someone well without meeting them and hanging out?

Osmosis? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cmxiv 74
post Feb 5 2018, 02:43 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 21,334

Hi, Good you fixed your problems. My opinion about the subject... just saying, for the record: I called a CL add some months ago, a guy Brian (could be same guy or not, no clue, the add link you in your post is deleted)... He sounded knowledgeable about 914 carbed and such...well, based on a brief conversation... Long story short..for almost 1 month I tried to reach the guy, but anytime I called or text he replied that he was busy or he was in a rush, promised to call back , never did...I walked away...So reputably unknown mechanics with adds on Craigslist probably are not the way not fix our cars. While I put my car on the back burner (way to frustrating...) I'm still looking for someone in LA who can hep me tune/fix my double empi 40 carbed 1.7. So far, based on my experience and struggle nobody want to touch a single or double carbed 914. Good luck with your car.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 5 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #32

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(cmxiv 74 @ Feb 5 2018, 12:43 AM) *

Hi, Good you fixed your problems. My opinion about the subject... just saying, for the record: I called a CL add some months ago, a guy Brian (could be same guy or not, no clue, the add link you in your post is deleted)... He sounded knowledgeable about 914 carbed and such...well, based on a brief conversation... Long story short..for almost 1 month I tried to reach the guy, but anytime I called or text he replied that he was busy or he was in a rush, promised to call back , never did...I walked away...So reputably unknown mechanics with adds on Craigslist probably are not the way not fix our cars. While I put my car on the back burner (way to frustrating...) I'm still looking for someone in LA who can hep me tune/fix my double empi 40 carbed 1.7. So far, based on my experience and struggle nobody want to touch a single or double carbed 914. Good luck with your car.

Have to agree that CL is probably not the best source for finding a capable person or shop to work on a double carbed 914. That said, I don't know anything at all about the availability of expertise in LA, but if you are willing to travel to San Diego there is, Black Forest Automotive. A friend of mine had his 914-6 conversion tuned there with great success. But better than that, this is the shop that has the engine guy who is involved with the 911's that are "Singer like" selling on BAT for well over 200k. Look harder in LA or reach out here to Keith914 a very smart guy who may be able to help. If not chat up Black Forest Porsche here in San Diego. www.blackforestautomotive.com/

They may be a bit pricey but your problem will be solved, I believe, and it just may be worth it. No affiliation what so ever with the shop just know of them. From someone who at times has also been a frustrated 914 owner. Best of luck!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:17 PM