Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repairing an oval suspension mount hole
Bates
post Jan 15 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #1

Bates

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,800
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am doing repairs of my 73 914 chassis in preparation of creating yet another GT clone.

I have started a build thread; GT Build; Flares add flare here;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...322283&st=0

I thought anyone else who has repaired a 914 may have run into oval rear suspension console mount holes;
Here is the suspension pivot , which has a step shoulder on the end that locates the pivot in the suspension console hole. My non digital caliper measures it at .550"
Attached Image

The pivot is one I cut in half to see how it was made, easier to deal with also.

Here are pictures of measuring my right side console;

Attached Image

out of focus, but easy to see needle is .030 larger than the step of the shaft

Attached Image

Vertical measurement is .040" larger than the step of the shaft.

I want to keep the suspension hole close to original placement, and the original two pieces of stamped plate are in decent condition, so my plan it to make a new locater out of a larger piece of stock;

I took a piece of 4140 tubing, .750" o.d., .500" i.d..
First step is to make the i.d. fit the step of the pivot shaft , something just larger than .055".
I checked the stock in my lathe and bored the center out to .055" (14mm).
Attached Image

So now I have a shaft to create a 'washer' from that has the perfect inside diameter.

I'll take it back to the lathe and 'part' the thickness of the two plates that currently have an oval hole inside. After I have a repair washer that is .750" outside diameter, I'll drill a hole .75" in the oval hole and insert the new washer.
Attached Image

Here is the rough washer, it is a bit warm from machining, so pliers are in order.
Attached Image

Now I'll mark a step bit at the diameter I do not want to exceed with a Sharpie. The red is very visible as I drill, and as soon as I get the hole to the red mark I know to stop.
Step drills are good for keeping slightly oval holes on the original hole center when enlarging the hole for repairs.

Attached Image

I took the little washer back to the car, de-burred it and metal finished to clean for welding later. placed it in the .75" hole, holding it there with the stepped shaft for placement;
Attached Image

I then tacked it in place with my MIG welder, and then ground off any 'proud' weld tacks.

Attached Image

I went back after this picture and ran a TIG weld pass around both sides of the new 'washer' .

The stepped shaft is now fixed in one location, no moving up and down/ back and forth,. creating havoc when trying to align a suspension.

Next step, new roll bar.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 15 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Great time to reinforce it as well!
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 15 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I agree with Andrew.

now is the time to add reinforcements.
the ova ling happens...
but with big tires they also rip out when not reinforced.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jan 17 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,712

Bushing the enlarged hole was the best way to repair that. Good job! The metal bush (old shaft piece turned to washer) will hold up better than the original sheet metal did over time since its a harder material. Easier the way you did it than trying to make a fitted hole round with a wire welder.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:18 PM