Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad night in the 914 garage, time to go into mad mechanic mode...
Aaron Cox
post Jun 3 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #21

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

nice mudflaps (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jun 3 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #22

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Aaron, before you hack on the flaps, maybe Dave-O should post a photo of the never ending gravel road his parents live on... They do make good cone catchers, maybe Dave-O would care to comment on that... ( I recall dragging a cone out of the fender well and getting a bonus mud flap also-)

Dave-O, Have always wanted to do a blind auto cross- maybe on a lake in January with something AWD. We could take turns being driver and seeing eye dog, set up some kind of a couse, and go with it. We just need to talk my wife out of her Forrester for a couple hours some weekend... if you hit a course marker and add 2 seconds to your time, would that be considered a "snow cone" ?
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jun 3 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

New Update, and It's not a good one,

I drove it for the first time just a few minutes ago...and this thing has absolutely NO BALLS!!!! I was expecting a slight loss in power going from a 1.9 to a 1.7 but this is ridiculous...floored in 4th only going 80 miles per hour!!!

I'm going to play around with the timing a bit and just look everything else over. I also have to figure out why my starter just decided to stop working (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/spank.gif)

It's not looking good at this point...but I'll push through till all possible options are exhausted.

David
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jun 3 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #24

Is winter done yet?

OK...ignore that last post

I fixed a loose connection and got the starter working.

I then set the timing by my "ear dyno"...I decided to then to try it out using the "seat of the pants dyno"....my brothers friend was along and I told him to jump in...but don't expect too much

After turning out of the driveway I was thinking "wow...this thing is pulling a lot better!!!!!!"....I think I began to scare him when I ran it off the rev limiter without braking into the first corner.

Every shift from that point on was either at the redline or slamming off the rev limiter...redline in fourth into fifth downhill, oh yeah...I think I need a cigarette.

Now just to clean this thing up a bit...sorry for the depressing post before this.

David
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jun 3 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #25

Is winter done yet?

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 3 2005, 01:48 PM)
nice mudflaps (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Let he with nice paint cast the first stone (pun intended) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

David
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jun 3 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #26

Is winter done yet?

QUOTE (ottox914 @ Jun 3 2005, 05:09 PM)

Dave-O, Have always wanted to do a blind auto cross- maybe on a lake in January with something AWD. We could take turns being driver and seeing eye dog, set up some kind of a couse, and go with it. We just need to talk my wife out of her Forrester for a couple hours some weekend... if you hit a course marker and add 2 seconds to your time, would that be considered a "snow cone" ?

That sounds like too much fun. I have never driven anything AWD in the snow. I'm used to my FWD saturn that requires trail braking to make it do anything fun. It's amazing what we'll come up with to get through those long winter months!!!

David
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jun 3 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #27

The glory that once was.

If you're coming back this way saturday, stop by the house, I've got a timing light you can use to check things out if you don't have one at your place.
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jun 4 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #28

Is winter done yet?

QUOTE (ottox914 @ Jun 3 2005, 11:12 PM)
If you're coming back this way saturday, stop by the house, I've got a timing light you can use to check things out if you don't have one at your place.

I've got a timing light and I was sure to re-mark my timing marks on the fan. When I set the timing the first time with the light it was while the car was ouside in the sun. It is possible that I either accidentaly set the timing at TDC or that I simply "missed the mark"...I'll try again with the light today.

With family visiting today and all the other things I have to do to get ready to head back to MN...I don't think I'll be able to stop today.

David

P.S. If you remember and are able, could you grab the paper air-filter housing from your old 1.7 to throw on this thing...I've been meaning replace that oil bath for a while now.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jun 4 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #29

The glory that once was.

If I've still got it, its at the farm, and I'll not be there again before the sunday event. I'll try to remember to look for it next time I'm there, and bring it to the next event. Will you be joining us sunday? If so, and rob bails with the 'jackett, I could be looking for a second ride...
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jun 4 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #30

Is winter done yet?

I'll be there assuming nothing catistrophic happens on the drive back. I've put about 100 miles on it and it pulls very strong. Only problem is a small exhaust leak due to two missing exhaust studs. The threads into the head are good, the studs just have to be replaced as time permits.

You're always welcome to co-drives

David
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:53 PM