Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Late model window regulator in an early door, I converted a 1972 door to use the scissor type window regulator.
914Subaru
post Jan 16 2018, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,667
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Not pretty but it works. Definitely need a 73 or later donor door with a lot of trial and error to get it tol work.
1970-72 is a lighter door because it doesn’t have the side impact reinforcement.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 16 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #2

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

There are early 73 model year cars with the early door and late style window lifts in them from the factory. Not sure I have anymore of those type doors in my stash, but I can check later in the week once we get done being dumped on by lake effect snow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jan 16 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

I have an early 73 with no impact beams. I bought a set of later doors with beams with the intention of changing them when I paint the car. You could get seriously killed if you got t-boned in an early 914 ..... those doors don't weigh anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 16 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

You will need the fuzzies that go in the front and rear tracks if you go from early to late. I know a guy that has them new (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Aidan
post Jan 17 2018, 01:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,729

QUOTE(MarkV @ Jan 16 2018, 10:40 PM) *

I have an early 73 with no impact beams. I bought a set of later doors with beams with the intention of changing them when I paint the car. You could get seriously killed if you got t-boned in an early 914 ..... those doors don't weigh anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Better than a motorcycle....lol
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 17 2018, 05:28 AM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Did you finish both doors? I thought I had a set of early doors here or were the regulators missing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Maybe save some work on the passenger side. Ready for spring? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
914Subaru
post Jan 17 2018, 07:15 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 17 2018, 05:28 AM) *

Did you finish both doors? I thought I had a set of early doors here or were the regulators missing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Maybe save some work on the passenger side. Ready for spring? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

The passenger door is done except I need the lower guide track that bolts in with 2 bolts and one rear vertical felt glass guide.
I say this every year, "this could be the year". It is looking good, the only project in the garage is the 914. I drove it up and down the road in front of the house last fall so it's getting close.
+Quote Post
914Subaru
post Jan 17 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 16 2018, 08:58 PM) *

There are early 73 model year cars with the early door and late style window lifts in them from the factory. Not sure I have anymore of those type doors in my stash, but I can check later in the week once we get done being dumped on by lake effect snow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Interesting I didn't know there was an interim design.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 17 2018, 08:23 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Subaru @ Jan 17 2018, 08:24 AM) *

The US requirement for adding the door beams began with cars built in '73 (maybe US only?)

So 1973 model year cars built from 9/72 thru 12/72 did not have the door beams but did have the later windows and regulators.

My car is a 9-72 build.

Its seems the only difference would be the inner panel that holds the window regulators.

It looks like the factory used the same outer door skins from the early doors and the late inner panels on the 9/72 - 12/72 then in 1/73 added the door beams to the outer skins.

Somewhere in here the roof changed also, I think I have late roof.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post May 28 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I did a similar mod on my late 73. I used older doors and made 5 cut/slices to completely remove the old winding mechanisms structure and tigd in the new style structure.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 28 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jan 17 2018, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(914Subaru @ Jan 17 2018, 08:24 AM) *

The US requirement for adding the door beams began with cars built in '73 (maybe US only?)

So 1973 model year cars built from 9/72 thru 12/72 did not have the door beams but did have the later windows and regulators.

My car is a 9-72 build.

Its seems the only difference would be the inner panel that holds the window regulators.

It looks like the factory used the same outer door skins from the early doors and the late inner panels on the 9/72 - 12/72 then in 1/73 added the door beams to the outer skins.

Somewhere in here the roof changed also, I think I have late roof.

Another super early 1973 914 here. 193rd chassis number for that year. Has early regulators, and I'd love to move to the later setup. Just seems better in every way?

Need to look at my doors next time they're apart. Now wonder if they'll accept either setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) My gut is no, as I bought a set of late doors years ago to harvest the parts but then got cold feet and sold those doors.

And yes on the top—late top is different and I think everything has to match. Ah, that might be why I stayed with the early stuff: I found a NOS early top.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:36 PM