Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible GB for bumpers like OEM Steel and chrome, Looknig at having some made offshore
Mikey914
post Jul 24 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #101

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Bob id be down with sending a few out. At that price you cant loose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 24 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #102

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Sorry if this is sort of a hijack, but I have to throw it in now and then hoping you'll still consider it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I want plastic bumpers, light weight and less expensive than fiberglass. Just a quick vacuum mold, right?
Thanks for bringing great 914 products to us.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 24 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #103

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

you are right Rand, the parts would be very inexpensive to produce, it is making the vacuum mold that would be expensive. As you probably know we have the original aluminum vwporsche vacuum tooling for the ABS raised letter rocker panels to make exact original pieces is very very inexpensive, however, I would be afraid to ask how much that tooling would be to make these days maybe 75,000 dollars!!!!!

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 24 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Sorry if this is sort of a hijack, but I have to throw it in now and then hoping you'll still consider it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I want plastic bumpers, light weight and less expensive than fiberglass. Just a quick vacuum mold, right?
Thanks for bringing great 914 products to us.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 24 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 11:49 AM) *

The stainless bumpers fit nicely and are readily available along with the top seals, bumper guards, chrome driving light and horn grilles along with the bumper mounting dog bones, the fog lights and all hardware. Why try to duplicate what is already being made?
The only thing that is can see is maybe making mild steel, but our people making the stainless said that it would be just as much to make the mild steel, which seems incorrect, but that is what they told me.
Since most would rather chrome, and usually the painted steel is repairable, I cannot see investing in producing the mild steel

We have of course many many many used rear bumpers perfectly rechromeable as well as mild steel refinish able. However we have very very few front bumpers of any kind, so finding good straight candidates to rechrome would be a real problem, hence the stainless

Sorry, George, but the stainless bumpers just don't look right to these eyes. That's not to say they don't look good, or aren't a good product for a lot of customers—but the way they wrap around the corners of the body is different, the color is different (being stainless), etc.—and Mark's point about the holes lining up for the rubber as well as the foglight grilles give me pause as well, though the latter may be limited to the prototypes he was looking at.

The "many many many used rear bumpers" in perfectly rechromable shape tells the tale: The 914 world needs a proper repro front available in mild steel and fresh chrome to go with all of those good used rears. It's kind of our Alfa Spider nose panel: Damage is inevitable as the fleet ages. I'd love to buy two new ones: One to use, one as a backup while the first one goes in for straightening and rechroming when the need arises.

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 24 2018, 01:34 PM) *

Most say the 914 bumpers are too thin to rework. I even asked Vern's and they weren't too interested.

This. So very this.

Original rear 914 bumpers can be found without too much trouble. It's the fronts that are hard to come by. have really only seen one great 1970-1972 front bumper in chrome for sale in the last 3-5 years, and the guy selling deemed my car unworthy (as was his right, I suppose). It and a really nice rear went to a -6 restoration, so they did go to a good cause. I haven't seen anything since, and the hassle factor with re-doing mine means it's never been done. The $475 for a (good) redo doesn't seem out of line to me...nor would quite a bit more for a GOOD repro in chrome.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 24 2018, 04:39 PM
Post #105

914 Guru

we have our own molds with them, they fit great, however you are right about the absolute chrome look, they are certainly different if one is compared to the other

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 24 2018, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 11:49 AM) *

The stainless bumpers fit nicely and are readily available along with the top seals, bumper guards, chrome driving light and horn grilles along with the bumper mounting dog bones, the fog lights and all hardware. Why try to duplicate what is already being made?
The only thing that is can see is maybe making mild steel, but our people making the stainless said that it would be just as much to make the mild steel, which seems incorrect, but that is what they told me.
Since most would rather chrome, and usually the painted steel is repairable, I cannot see investing in producing the mild steel

We have of course many many many used rear bumpers perfectly rechromeable as well as mild steel refinish able. However we have very very few front bumpers of any kind, so finding good straight candidates to rechrome would be a real problem, hence the stainless

Sorry, George, but the stainless bumpers just don't look right to these eyes. That's not to say they don't look good, or aren't a good product for a lot of customers—but the way they wrap around the corners of the body is different, the color is different (being stainless), etc.—and Mark's point about the holes lining up for the rubber as well as the foglight grilles give me pause as well, though the latter may be limited to the prototypes he was looking at.

The "many many many used rear bumpers" in perfectly rechromable shape tells the tale: The 914 world needs a proper repro front available in mild steel and fresh chrome to go with all of those good used rears. It's kind of our Alfa Spider nose panel: Damage is inevitable as the fleet ages. I'd love to buy two new ones: One to use, one as a backup while the first one goes in for straightening and rechroming when the need arises.

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 24 2018, 01:34 PM) *

Most say the 914 bumpers are too thin to rework. I even asked Vern's and they weren't too interested.

This. So very this.

Original rear 914 bumpers can be found without too much trouble. It's the fronts that are hard to come by. have really only seen one great 1970-1972 front bumper in chrome for sale in the last 3-5 years, and the guy selling deemed my car unworthy (as was his right, I suppose). It and a really nice rear went to a -6 restoration, so they did go to a good cause. I haven't seen anything since, and the hassle factor with re-doing mine means it's never been done. The $475 for a (good) redo doesn't seem out of line to me...nor would quite a bit more for a GOOD repro in chrome.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 24 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #106

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 23 2018, 04:52 PM) *

Have to say the stainless bumpers have nearly zero appeal to me, being obviously incorrect. Like the concept, but it's a proper repro that I am after.

Ah well...

I guess the 914 world will continue to have to try to dig up, straighten, and rechrome increasingly weak/rusty bumpers...

I have the stainless on the TR6. It will never polish like chrome. But on the other hand I know I can metal finish them if I have too. Depends to some extent on the paint color next to the bumper too.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 24 2018, 05:45 PM
Post #107

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 03:39 PM) *

we have our own molds with them, they fit great, however you are right about the absolute chrome look, they are certainly different if one is compared to the other

Another good reason for new chrome front bumpers: For those of us with early rear bumpers with the hard edges, color match becomes an issue when you can't do stainless front and rear.

A single stamping of a new front bumper would service:
1970-1972 914 & 914-6
1973-1974 914 (with four more holes drilled)
1973-1974 914 owners that want to backdate their bumpers
1975-1976 914 owners that want to backdate their bumpers

There's definitely a hole in the market here...the key will be a product that is truly a good repro—one that should probably be done using an NOS front bumper to make sure it's dead on.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 24 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #108

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 24 2018, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 03:39 PM) *

Another good reason for new chrome front bumpers: For those of us with early rear bumpers with the hard edges, color match becomes an issue when you can't do stainless front and rear.

A single stamping of a new front bumper would service:
1970-1972 914 & 914-6
1973-1974 914 (with four more holes drilled)
1973-1974 914 owners that want to backdate their bumpers
1975-1976 914 owners that want to backdate their bumpers

There's definitely a hole in the market here...the key will be a product that is truly a good repro—one that should probably be done using an NOS front bumper to make sure it's dead on.

Been (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Pete at RD for years.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 24 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2018, 04:51 PM) *

Good to know I am not the only one! Seems like a perfect product for his company, and if chrome is the stopping point, why not supply them ready to chrome...to be shipped to your chrome shop of choice. I bet chrome shops would be thrilled to work with a new piece ready to go...
+Quote Post
Mitox
post Jul 24 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 19,302
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 24 2018, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2018, 04:51 PM) *

Good to know I am not the only one! Seems like a perfect product for his company, and if chrome is the stopping point, why not supply them ready to chrome...to be shipped to your chrome shop of choice. I bet chrome shops would be thrilled to work with a new piece ready to go...

Or ready to paint; I’d like primed or bare steel.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 24 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #111

The rubber man

If its a matter of commitment
I will commit to the tooling in steel like OEM. We had jumped around with the company in Vietnam, that went sifeways when AA locked up the market
So yes these are oficially on the list. 1st late bumpers, and we will go from there.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jul 24 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 12,732

With all your connections in the Porsche world Pete, you can't find someone to make us good 914 bumpers????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(BTW, loved the latest issue of 000, as usual)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 25 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #113

The rubber man

The problem isn't just stamping them, it's the finishing and handling of these.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 25 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #114

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 25 2018, 07:50 AM) *

The problem isn't just stamping them, it's the finishing and handling of these.

I would think if we could find someone to stamp the steel the rest would be easy at least in my area.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 25 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #115

914 Guru

lets make something that has not been made yet, for example we are now in the process of making fenders and cowl patch repair panels

by the way, tow hooks would be exact and plated but would have to cost 35 bucks each, anyone still interested at that price? (tooling is over 3500 to do it correctly and then we would have to purchase 500 of them!!!!!)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jul 25 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #116

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Just have to sit back and wait for the exlusive deal to expire and then you can call Harrington and see what they are willing to do..
As I said before....They were great to deal with when I bought
my Bumpers directly....
My so called ugly, bad fitting ,junk stainless ones....
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 25 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #117

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 24 2018, 10:29 PM) *

With all your connections in the Porsche world Pete, you can't find someone to make us good 914 bumpers????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes, perhaps—but I am not sure my connections are worth more than those of Mikey or mepstein, as they are closer to manufacturing.

I know and like Peter over at Restoration Design, but we've only spoken at an event or two. My sense is he runs a good business supplying things that are hard for us to get otherwise, and possibly better and more accurate than offerings from other vendors. I suspct this would be a product that would be right up his alley, especially if 914 world could supply his team with a NOS or otherwise *perfect* original factory front bumper (not redone or rebent) to work from.

I also have to think he'd sell more of them than a lot of the steel parts his team currently makes, but would also have to defer to his wisdom and experience in this sphere. BUT, if he could supply the bumper in two finishes (ready for the chrome shop and primered for paint), I have to think a lot of us would be very interested. I wonder if a group buy would get him over the hump on this? So long as the price is reasonable and the quality is high, I would put my name down for two right now. I am sure there are others who would buy 1-2 of them, as well.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jul 25 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #118

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 25 2018, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 24 2018, 10:29 PM) *

Yes, perhaps—but I am not sure my connections are worth more than those of Mikey or mepstein, as they are closer to manufacturing.

I know and like Peter over at Restoration Design, but we've only spoken at an event or two. My sense is he runs a good business supplying things that are hard for us to get otherwise, and possibly better and more accurate than offerings from other vendors. I suspct this would be a product that would be right up his alley, especially if 914 world could supply his team with a NOS or otherwise *perfect* original factory front bumper (not redone or rebent) to work from.

I also have to think he'd sell more of them than a lot of the steel parts his team currently makes, but would also have to defer to his wisdom and experience in this sphere. BUT, if he could supply the bumper in two finishes (ready for the chrome shop and primered for paint), I have to think a lot of us would be very interested. I wonder if a group buy would get him over the hump on this? So long as the price is reasonable and the quality is high, I would put my name down for two right now. I am sure there are others who would buy 1-2 of them, as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jul 25 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #119

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Lets hope that Porsche Classic will hear our needs and bite the bullet and tool up the bumpers again as a factory replacement part. Dream on I say. Some one with some pull should call them.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 25 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #120

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 25 2018, 01:32 PM) *

Lets hope that Porsche Classic will hear our needs and bite the bullet and tool up the bumpers again as a factory replacement part. Dream on I say. Some one with some pull should call them.

I bet it would be a lot less from RD.
Pete told me it’s a a very big expense to do such a large pressing. He has to prioritize what to make for all the different models.
I’ll wait to see if 914rubber can make a connection with the Harrington supplier.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 04:21 AM