Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible GB for bumpers like OEM Steel and chrome, Looknig at having some made offshore
mepstein
post Jul 27 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #161

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

rcotten951 on ebay has a chrome front for 300 and rear for 55. $100 shipping each isn't cheap. It's actually really easy to ship bumpers and dashes. All the shipping stores only cary 4 foot rectangular boxes. Go to a ski/snowboard shop and get a snowboard box to fit. shipping should be about $50 x country.

Ben - yes, got you covered and your dad. These days it's cheaper to buy a rusty car and part it out than to buy used parts, piece by piece.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 27 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #162

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

a good 914 parts car is a real bargain as expensive as the replacement parts are these days, however too many have been out in the weather and so hammered that nothing is good (like our 147 that have been out there so long, hardly a good part in them)

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2018, 06:50 AM) *

rcotten951 on ebay has a chrome front for 300 and rear for 55. $100 shipping each isn't cheap. It's actually really easy to ship bumpers and dashes. All the shipping stores only cary 4 foot rectangular boxes. Go to a ski/snowboard shop and get a snowboard box to fit. shipping should be about $50 x country.

Ben - yes, got you covered and your dad. These days it's cheaper to buy a rusty car and part it out than to buy used parts, piece by piece.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 27 2018, 10:37 AM
Post #163

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

^ Was wondering if I wanted to buy that bumper on eBay until I looked at it.

The dings are a relative non-issue, and its backside looked pretty good. It might even be straight and fit the body well. Then I spotted the rust cracking through the chrome at the bottom. Might be a non-issue, but my search for a great 1970-1972 front bumper or a good core (or a new core) continues. Even if I find one and have it done, I am still a buyer for a new spare to hang on the wall. Seems like a good idea to me given how vulnerable these bumpers are.

Have parts, will trade or pay cash…
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 27 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #164

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If I did want chrome bumpers, I would find a good core, send it out to the best bumper chrome shop I could find and let them do their thing. The way we take care of our cars now, a great chrome job should last a lifetime. Whether its $300 or $600 won't make much difference over the next 40 years but the best chrome shops are usually called the best for a reason. It's a labor intensive process to do it right.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 27 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #165

914 Guru

totally agree, every original factory chrome bumper must be saved. We have made several GT chrome bumpers from smashed ones, sectioning them together and then having the bumper shop refinish then, have one on my 72 914-6. Looks great and I saved a salvage bumper rather than cut a good rechromeable one

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2018, 09:55 AM) *

If I did want chrome bumpers, I would find a good core, send it out to the best bumper chrome shop I could find and let them do their thing. The way we take care of our cars now, a great chrome job should last a lifetime. Whether its $300 or $600 won't make much difference over the next 40 years but the best chrome shops are usually called the best for a reason. It's a labor intensive process to do it right.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 27 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #166

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Just to show a nice front GT. Great platers in Sandy
Bob B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 27 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #167

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(rgolia @ Jul 27 2018, 03:21 AM) *

Mark - That makes sense to me. So isn’t George having these made? If the quality is there it sounds like the place to go. These are clearly not cheap to make right.

He has a company in Vietnam that was making for Harrington, that has offered an exclusive for a specified period of time.

I figured easy enough to to a GB that I was setting up with another member that has contacts in Vietnam. Have a contract and everything, just didn't execute before AA did.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 28 2018, 06:34 AM
Post #168

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I did find out a die might be less expensive then I thought.. Might even have an investor.. Mark we should talk next week to see if this is worth doing.. We can definitely do this together..
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jul 28 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #169

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

For anyone here that might be interested in the Stainless Bumper option..
Here is a picture of a Harrington Bumper on the back of my car.
Yeah, I know it is a later bumper on an early car.. I don't care..
I have the original bumper put away and it will always stay with the car.
In case someone thinks these bumpers don't look right.. Here is the picture.

Personally, I'd wait till the "Exclusive Deal" with a U.S. Vendor ends and then
buy them directly from the manufacturer..

Oh, yeah.... That is a 914 rubber bumper top and it too is a reproduction item..
Superior to the original also..

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 28 2018, 12:04 PM
Post #170

914 Guru

we have our own molds at Harrington and with the rate we buy will always have a deal with them, plus stupidly the markup is so little that our accountant is always complaining.

Just the fact that they wanted to do the mild steel for the same price, and also that someone else over there took their molds and was trying to sell to someone else here tells you that something is going on over there.

They sent us some bumpers from another one of their 914 molds and they fit like CRAP!!! We spent a lot of time fitting them to different cars and trying to show how they were off, but it is hard without having a car to fit them on while one is making corrections, and I know that they do not have a car there.
Also I do not know if they are using our molds to sell to others in Europe, as quite frankly I do not trust them that much, like many other suppliers.
Finally we spent many many hours and dollars of expense sending bumpers back and forth until we got our mold correct, and got great bumpers

We are happy that Harrington made these as it is a much needed part for our 914 community and hope that others will make parts as well, but not duplicate what someone is already making. The market is too small and too many parts are needed.

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 28 2018, 09:10 AM) *

For anyone here that might be interested in the Stainless Bumper option..
Here is a picture of a Harrington Bumper on the back of my car.
Yeah, I know it is a later bumper on an early car.. I don't care..
I have the original bumper put away and it will always stay with the car.
In case someone thinks these bumpers don't look right.. Here is the picture.

Personally, I'd wait till the "Exclusive Deal" with a U.S. Vendor ends and then
buy them directly from the manufacturer..

Oh, yeah.... That is a 914 rubber bumper top and it too is a reproduction item..
Superior to the original also..

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 28 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #171

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

To be clear I would not be duplicating a stainless bumper.. I was thinking raw steel for the end user to do what they like with them..

It maybe a pipe dream and never develop.. We will see.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:24 PM