Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible GB for bumpers like OEM Steel and chrome, Looknig at having some made offshore
Justinp71
post Jan 25 2018, 12:06 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

Can someone educate me? What is the difference between early and late bumpers besides the holes for the bumper tits?

I would definitely be interested in the future for an option of the GT style with the oil cooler opening if that is offered.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Jan 25 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,585
Region Association: South East States

So has Mark H said whether the GB he was working on is dead or not? I sent him a PM a week or so ago and his thread was brought back up but no word from him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I am interested in new bumpers (front and back) but don't want to leave anyone hanging. Not a concurs guy so early or late would work for me, car is a 74.
+Quote Post
wes
post Jan 25 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #23

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I’d be in for the early (no tit holes) front chrome preferably GT style.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 25 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #24

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 25 2018, 10:06 AM) *

Can someone educate me? What is the difference between early and late bumpers besides the holes for the bumper tits?

Most folks are mostly concerned with the holes.
But /6 guys (gals) are also after the "sharp" style rear.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 25 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #25

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

As there are lots of rears around (13 on EBay today) as compared to the fronts (1 at buy it now $700) , maybe you could look at the feasibly of doing just the fronts to start. Yes the 1970 rears are harder to get but there are still some out there. Lots of 71-74 rears for sale that people could just refinish.

I have a good 1970 rear that could re-plate it to make it primo and a 1970 front that has a dent in it that can be straightened out so I would look at that cost versus one of yours.

It always has to pencil out. Many people like to back date there 75-76 cars.

Trying to help you with an idea.

Bob B
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 25 2018, 06:38 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 25 2018, 09:33 AM) *

Too late to add the poll, but if there is enough interest we would contact everyone via PM to figure out where to go 1st.
My suspicion is that we will be able to make the front easy enough, adding the holes could be done after stamping with a jig. There are plenty of late to make it from. The expense is in the tooling.

That gets us to an early / late question for the rear.

If we do the early 1st the market is smaller, we would probably have to increase the cost. However, many may not care if they put an early rear on a late car if it's perfect.

There will be a few that will want the late for the late car. It becomes a matter of having a conversation with those that are interested to determine the path. A poll is binary, I suspect that we may have more success at this if we ask for some level of commitment then see where the cards fall. I have an idea, but may be way off base.

^ Good points all. There are smarter people here than me on such matters, but my sense is that early rear bumpers are MUCH more desirable and "chased after" than the 1972-1974 rears (regardless of holes, which as you state can be added). From what I have seen, there are also a number of 914-6s and conversion cars (not to mention early 4s) that have nice late bumpers on them right now. Perhaps these would be loosened and put onto the market if early bumpers became available again?

My vote would be:

First offering:
1970-1974 front bumper (drilled for 1973-1974 as option)
1970-1971 rear bumper

Second offering:
1972-1974 rear bumper (drilled for 1974 as option)
1970-1974 front bumper with GT inlet made to fit GT valance

Thoughts offered very respectfully!! It's one thing to arm-chair it, another entirely to make the hard calls.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 25 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

actually a mild steel bumper could be stamped out quickly at a relatively inexpensive price. It is the chromium steel and the plating that makes the venture expensive.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 25 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2018, 05:04 PM) *

actually a mild steel bumper could be stamped out quickly at a relatively inexpensive price. It is the chromium steel and the plating that makes the venture expensive.

^

Keys to the exercise are 1) quality (correctness, fit, etc), and 2) taking advantage of the fact that all of us poor sops working with old bumpers have to pay a chrome shop to strip, straighten, rectify, and otherwise prep old bumpers...if that can be done. And then hope they fit when all is said or done. Or go back and forth with the car to the chrome shop at various points in between.

The idea of a repro bumper in the original materials (or something quite like them) that fits the way the original factory piece does and looks indistinguishable—that can be ordered from a shelf—is seriously alluring. Mikey will get my business if he proceeds and the quality of his work meets expectaions/hopes.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 25 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #29

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Can't be that bad if I can buy a BigAssBumper for my Chevy c10 for $200.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 25 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #30

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 25 2018, 06:15 PM) *

Can't be that bad if I can buy a BigAssBumper for my Chevy c10 for $200.

When you are in Asia everything you see made of bright steel on cars or trucks is Stainless. Bumpers and racks on trucks. I have traveled a lot in Toyland and Southern China. Toyota trucks with shells turned into 15 person, local 10Baht taxis and and 3 wheel Tuk, Tuks

There is some cheep Stainless Steel that rusts. I got some industrial Stainless Steel over locks for my yard locking door and it started to surface rust right after the first rain. I use Stainless Steel on thermometers that I make in China and the good stainless Steel we use comes from Japan.

It does not rust.

Bob B
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 25 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #31

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Two brand new steel bumpers, just stamped.
Actually, one front and two rears, early.
No chrome needed.
Been waiting, let me know.
I do not want stainless,
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 26 2018, 02:02 AM
Post #32

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Jan 25 2018, 11:44 AM) *

So has Mark H said whether the GB he was working on is dead or not? I sent him a PM a week or so ago and his thread was brought back up but no word from him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I am interested in new bumpers (front and back) but don't want to leave anyone hanging. Not a concurs guy so early or late would work for me, car is a 74.

I have heard nothing from Mark Henery. The current offering is a diversion away from the original planed stainless GB offering. I do believe that he was working on some special options with variation for oil coolers on his. It may not be dead as it appears that his contact was not Harrington.

If you want the stainless this will not be the direction I'm going.

+Quote Post
djway
post Jan 26 2018, 03:48 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 19,266

One of the big Vietnam stainless mfgs was a real hit and miss. In the Karmann Ghia world the mounts were wrong. One guy even went to Nam with correct bumpers and had an appointment to meet. The meet apparently never happened and he was going to import a large lot. I have heard that other bumpers they had fit very nice such as the type 3 and some early bug. I think the T3 bumpers shipped to so cal were around $800
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 26 2018, 04:24 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

In general for outdoors use you want a 316 based Stainless steel, same as used for marine applications. 304 might work but in coastal places with salt in the air it will eventually suffer from staining at least if stuck outdoors/uncleaned for periods of time.

The thing to know is that the standards for these stainless steels are VERY wide and of course the cheapest places will alloy them as cheaply as possibly while still being within the standard. Thats why you will see very different corrosion results between a US/European made Stainless steel and a Chinese/Asian steel (Japan excluded as they know what they're doing at least when it comes to steel production)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 26 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #35

The rubber man

We use 316 for all or our railing cable fittings. It polishes up nice and will slightly brown over time if exposed to high salt air environments. We have installations all over the world and many in Hawaii where this is an issue. I can tell you that it will dull, but you can re polish it. However, it's getting dull, the rest of your 914 is getting eaten up.
The 304/5 is softer and machines more easily, it will polish up nicely, but will brown easily in same harsh environment. It is significantly cheaper, but we don't use it, as it's never worth the hassle. We did also learn that when we buy it to get the mill certs so there is no "confusion". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
amfab
post Jan 26 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 20,004

I am in for a set. Stainless or chrome as long as the price is right, Chrome would match the 914rubber fog Light grills better though. I don't mind the later rear bumpers, as long as there are not holes everywhere. I like the option of getting rid of the holes.

I do not want to leave Mark H hanging if his GB is coming to fruition. I hoe there will be an update because of all of this

-Andrew
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 26 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #37

The rubber man

Let me provide clarification on this. I will not be doing stainless. And by all means if Mark's Group by is open I would advise you to buy from him as he it started this.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 26 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Yes, can we dump any mention of stainless steel bumpers in this thread?

There are threads for those products. No offense to anyone—not least Mark!—but I suspect those here are interested in chrome 914 bumpers that are an exact match for their dented/rusted/wavy/thrice-chromed/etc originals in shape as well as materials and finish. None of the stainless steel bumpers I have seen match the appearance of the factory bumpers. The "color" is incorrect, and so are the ends under the rubber bumper top.

To me, it's a very big deal that 914rubber.com is contemplating this project.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jan 26 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Count me in for two early front steel bumpers when ever they happen !
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 26 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #40

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Who can say no to shiny new chrome? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I'm in for a pair. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:58 PM