Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible GB for bumpers like OEM Steel and chrome, Looknig at having some made offshore
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 23 2018, 11:35 AM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

I agree, plus no protection

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 23 2018, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 23 2018, 12:36 PM) *

If I had it all over to do again I think I would have went with fiberglass bumpers. If someone has a pic of James Patrick’s flared six that was at his shop when we did the tour please post. His bumpers were fiberglass. Great look and finish.

I’ve never seen a glass bumper that didn’t require major work.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 23 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #82

914 Guru

We have plenty of sets floating over, they will be here in September

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jul 23 2018, 10:30 AM) *

I would be interested in a front with plate and no tits.

+Quote Post
amfab
post Jul 23 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 20,004

Thank you for trying Mark.

I will be in for a front and back when the GB comes up Mike.

-Andrew
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jul 23 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 23 2018, 10:35 AM) *

I agree, plus no protection

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 23 2018, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 23 2018, 12:36 PM) *

If I had it all over to do again I think I would have went with fiberglass bumpers. If someone has a pic of James Patrick’s flared six that was at his shop when we did the tour please post. His bumpers were fiberglass. Great look and finish.

I’ve never seen a glass bumper that didn’t require major work.

Bumper protection isnt the first thing that comes to mind when driving a 914. This car has no protection other then putting it on its roof and if that happens your screwed anyway.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 23 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Have to say the stainless bumpers have nearly zero appeal to me, being obviously incorrect. Like the concept, but it's a proper repro that I am after.

Ah well...

I guess the 914 world will continue to have to try to dig up, straighten, and rechrome increasingly weak/rusty bumpers...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 23 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But, to each his own.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 24 2018, 05:26 AM
Post #87

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I still wish I knew of a quality rechroming place and we could organize an exchange program with them for 914 bumpers.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 24 2018, 07:09 AM
Post #88

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 24 2018, 07:26 AM) *

I still wish I knew of a quality rechroming place and we could organize an exchange program with them for 914 bumpers.

regarding the rechrome, since you are in WI, Keystone in Brainard MN has a good rep. I got their name from other members here , Bob B(bigkat) and a couple others. But searched for a while, and I just bought a rear bumper from sixaddict here in SC that was redone by a place in TN, called Tri-city Plating.(rear bumper) and looks amazing, so I sent my early front one there last week. $475. So once that comes back I will also send off my late front one that is on the car and the other rear one I have and I will be reselling one set to pay for the other.
Just FYI-
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 24 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #89

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We have a good one here locally, but they are not inexpensive. As the metal will often need to be reworked and polished there can be a lot of variation in the labor required to do them. This is one of the reasons that the prices are up there. I still prefer a re-chromed bumper, but at a certain price point the stainless makes sense.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 24 2018, 10:49 AM
Post #90

914 Guru

we usually send ours to the bumper shop in California, they charge usually 275. plus shipping both ways. Much better to save your original chrome bumper than to purchase aftermarket ones. Of course mild steel painted bumpers cannot be chromed
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 24 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #91

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 12:49 PM) *

we usually send ours to the bumper shop in California, they charge usually 275. plus shipping both ways. Much better to save your original chrome bumper than to purchase aftermarket ones. Of course mild steel painted bumpers cannot be chromed

Why not? At least one member here has done it and it looked great.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 24 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #92

914 Guru

the steel bumpers are too soft to chrome and it will crack easily if chromed

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2018, 10:14 AM) *

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 24 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 24 2018, 06:09 AM) *

regarding the rechrome, since you are in WI, Keystone in Brainard MN has a good rep. I got their name from other members here , Bob B(bigkat) and a couple others. But searched for a while, and I just bought a rear bumper from sixaddict here in SC that was redone by a place in TN, called Tri-city Plating.(rear bumper) and looks amazing, so I sent my early front one there last week. $475. So once that comes back I will also send off my late front one that is on the car and the other rear one I have and I will be reselling one set to pay for the other.
Just FYI-

I would do this in a heartbeat if—and this is a big if, I think?—Tri-City had a jig or form to make sure my bumper is straight. It was actually a new piece in 1991 when I got it, with a small ding. It's picked up a ding and/or "push" since, but the real problem is it is tight at the center of the hood...suggesting the upper curvature around the hood/headlights needs to be re-formed. Then you start getting down the road of 2-3 visits to the chrome shop with the car (without a bumper on it...), etc.

Maybe finding a very good sample and sending both bumpers is a viable method, but the reality is my situation is rare: Most of the core bumpers left are pretty tired—rusty, reworked, and rechromed many times over 40 years.

It really would be wonderful to buy a truly good repro. I'd buy two if the quality and price are right. Kind of seems like this would be a project right up Restoration Design's alley—and it would be nice to do business with someone on the continent.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 24 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #94

914 Guru

The stainless bumpers fit nicely and are readily available along with the top seals, bumper guards, chrome driving light and horn grilles along with the bumper mounting dog bones, the fog lights and all hardware. Why try to duplicate what is already being made?
The only thing that is can see is maybe making mild steel, but our people making the stainless said that it would be just as much to make the mild steel, which seems incorrect, but that is what they told me.
Since most would rather chrome, and usually the painted steel is repairable, I cannot see investing in producing the mild steel

We have of course many many many used rear bumpers perfectly rechromeable as well as mild steel refinish able. However we have very very few front bumpers of any kind, so finding good straight candidates to rechrome would be a real problem, hence the stainless

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 24 2018, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 24 2018, 06:09 AM) *

Just FYI-

I would do this in a heartbeat if—and this is a big if, I think?—Tri-City had a jig or form to make sure my bumper is straight. It was actually a new piece in 1991 when I got it, with a small ding. It's picked up a ding and/or "push" since, but the real problem is it is tight at the center of the hood...suggesting the upper curvature around the hood/headlights needs to be re-formed. Then you start getting down the road of 2-3 visits to the chrome shop with the car (without a bumper on it...), etc.

Maybe finding a very good sample and sending both bumpers is a viable method, but the reality is my situation is rare: Most of the core bumpers left are pretty tired—rusty, reworked, and rechromed many times over 40 years.

It really would be wonderful to buy a truly good repro. I'd buy two if the quality and price are right. Kind of seems like this would be a project right up Restoration Design's alley—and it would be nice to do business with someone on the continent.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 24 2018, 01:01 PM
Post #95

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Are you saying they made bumpers with 2 different types of steel? My BS meter is buzzing.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 01:26 PM) *

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 24 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #96

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

well if the fronts are that rare I guess I got lucky- I believe it, because it took me a year to find a decent one and then I ended up with a local guy that got some 914 parts mixed up with a lot of 911 parts he bought(truck load) and the front one was an early one with a very nice topper, OEM, small scratch and very small dent, . I don't think either one has been redone before. I do see a lot more rear ones tha front ones for sale in places such as ebay.
I test fit them all before sending off for chrome- perfect fit each of them. But with the shortage of nice bumpers out there its great to have an option of getting a nice looking SS bumper , but at the same time a repro chromed bumper would be nice as well. I think those two things can exist at the same time, different market. BUT is it cost effective?, might not be a large enough market for it, I don't know.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 24 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #97

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2018, 12:01 PM) *

Are you saying they made bumpers with 2 different types of steel? My BS meter is buzzing.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2018, 01:26 PM) *

Well I am not sure what is bull or not but,
I now have a set of 1970 chrome bumpers that are ready for re chroming. I got a better front from EBay for $200 delivered and the rear is good from my 1970 -4 cylinder car. Good to go on my 6

I looked up the Bumper Shop in CA that was close to my work and they said they do Georges Bumpers. I also looked up their reviews on Yelp and it was not great but there were only 2 reviews.

They want $330. Per bumper so I will do 2 fronts and the one rear that was on my car.

The owner said they do the work on the bumbler there as far as straightening out and dent repair and then their plating shop is in father outside of town. He said he has the jigs to get them right.

$660. For a pair does not sound bad. A 10 Min drive from my shop.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 24 2018, 02:14 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I bought a very nice early rear (hard corner) bumper recently, and it came with a killer front bumper that needs to be chromed, but it's straight.

The weird thing about it is it looks like the square holes where the capture nuts install were never knocked out at the factory. You can see small squares where they knock out, but they haven't been knocked out.

They don't look welded, or re-done to my eye.

This thread reminds me that I need to go get it re-chromed.

I use Verne's Plating up off of the Long Beach freeway in L.A.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jul 24 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 12,094

I have three early front bumpers and a couple square corner early rears, all need a little metal work and plating. I haven't found any shops in southern CA. Most say the 914 bumpers are too thin to rework. I even asked Vern's and they weren't too interested.

I would love to know where the place is that does it for $275 including shipping !!!!!
I have never been quoted anything less than $475

I would be up for a group buy refinishing deal. I think Bruce did a refinish group buy years ago.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 24 2018, 02:41 PM
Post #100

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 24 2018, 01:34 PM) *

I have three early front bumpers and a couple square corner early rears, all need a little metal work and plating. I haven't found any shops in southern CA. Most say the 914 bumpers are too thin to rework. I even asked Vern's and they weren't too interested.

I would love to know where the place is that does it for $275 including shipping !!!!!
I have never been quoted anything less than $475

I would be up for a group buy refinishing deal. I think Bruce did a refinish group buy years ago.

If the place that does Georges says $275. for him, plus shipping. I would guess that is a bulk deal. $330 for one or two sounds like the regular price.

Who did the group deal, Vern's?

That was a while ago.

Bob B
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:01 AM