Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help me make a decision here - Combo gage or stock
Mikey914
post Jan 30 2018, 02:59 AM
Post #1

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

I acquired a pretty stock 1.7 that had been retrofitted with a 911 combo gauge. It looks well done. I did procure a correct gauge to replace it but now I'm thinking leave it.

What would you do?

I like the idea or originality too.
Pics to follow.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
sithot
post Jan 30 2018, 04:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2018, 03:59 AM) *

I acquired a pretty stock 1.7 that had been retrofitted with a 911 combo gauge. It looks well done. I did procure a correct gauge to replace it but now I'm thinking leave it.

What would you do?

I like the idea or originality too.
Pics to follow.

Temperature an Pressure gauge only or a custom affair with a Fuel level too?
I like these gauges as they’re easy to watch.

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/service-restorations-914
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 30 2018, 08:09 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Leave it, you can never have too much information. It took some extra thought and skill to get the wring done.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 30 2018, 08:13 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 30 2018, 09:09 AM) *

Leave it, you can never have too much information. It took some extra thought and skill to get the wring done.

^^^...and I'm the opposite. I think you can have too much information to the point it's distracting. I don't care what the value is unless it's out of spec, so I love me some basic gauges and idiot lights. I removed the center console and its gauges and use the basic combo with oil temp and lights.
+Quote Post
sithot
post Jan 30 2018, 08:27 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 30 2018, 09:13 AM) *

^^^...and I'm the opposite. I think you can have too much information to the point it's distracting. I don't care what the value is unless it's out of spec, so I love me some basic gauges and idiot lights. I removed the center console and its gauges and use the basic combo with oil temp and lights.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Jan 30 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

IMO an oil pressure guage is almost worthless (they do look cool though). I would rather have a buzzer that alerts me immediately about a problem. My VW Jetta had a buzzer that would come on when taking cloverleafs at 55 mph.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 30 2018, 09:10 AM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I like more information than less. I would leave it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 30 2018, 09:10 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

dbl post- sorry
+Quote Post
RickS
post Jan 30 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,880

I am in the “information is power” camp, especially with an air/oil cooled car. Just a week ago my alternator light came on and saw that my Voltage gauge was sitting firmly at 12 rather than the usual 14.5. Also when I first added my 6 I could watch the oil temp to make sure the cooler was operating correctly and at high speeds I wasn’t hitting above 210.

Is it distracting? I don’t find the full gauge compliment in my 911 distracting with the .5 sec it takes to check things out compared to the repair costs associated with a rebuild. Same goes for the teener.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 30 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

I don't mean to be combative in any way, but these are the types of things I think a lot about all the time, when designing instrumentation and gauging on my race cars and an experimental airplane builds. And I like the debate on the topic.

Your statement below caught my eye:

QUOTE(RickS @ Jan 30 2018, 11:12 AM) *

....Just a week ago my alternator light came on and saw that my Voltage gauge was sitting firmly at 12 rather than the usual 14.5.

So what you're saying is that you recognized a charging system failure not by the gauge that told you it was at 12V, but by an idiot light that caught your eye. And then you looked over at the gauge, which told you the same exact information (charge bad). And that's my point.

And then you wrote this:
Also when I first added my 6 I could watch the oil temp to make sure the cooler was operating correctly and at high speeds I wasn’t hitting above 210.

...implying that you were using your oil temp gauge as a binary good/bad system: below 210 is good; above 210 is bad.

Would not a light at 210 degrees do the same thing?

There is merit to watching and evaluating trends, but the human brain doesn't really work well as a data acquisition device. When otherwise occupied we're much better with binary good/bad situations. We even use our speedos are binary devices: 70 good, 75 bad. Less than 70 really, really bad, pick it up!!

Automobile manufacturers know this. If your car has a water temp gauge (most do) you'll notice that it's always solidly vertical. Have you ever watched it get there? It's pretty much a binary condition: as soon as the water temp rises to the correct desired range the needle will work quickly to that TDC level.

VW figured this out in the 80s with the Rabbit GTI. They put in aux gauges and started getting complaints from owners that the gauge fluxuated left and right as they were driving around. The Germans were perplexed; after all, no engine coolant or oil reaches a set temperature and stays there constantly, why are people complaining? But the complaints persisted to the point where VW adjusted the electronics in the gauge to where it stayed solidly vertical within the desired range, in effect turning the gauge into an idiot light. And the water temp gauge on my 2011 GTI stays solid vertical all day, whether I'm driving in snow like today, or cruising across the desert last year.

You like gauges? Get 'em, enjoy 'em. But I strongly disagree that they're necessary for safe operation of any equipment. If you want data acq, get data acq (it's actually quite affordable now). Me, I'll pay attention to the driving and watch for attention-grabbing lights to tell me when something's wrong... - GA
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jan 30 2018, 11:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,509

Mark, if it is the 4 way gauge,
I’d be interested in talking to you about
buying it from you if you decide to replace it...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jan 30 2018, 11:40 AM
Post #12

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101

The idiot light tells you something is wrong, the gauge gives an indication of how bad it is or isn't.

Gauges aren't constantly scanned, but viewed when needed.

Most want the simplicity of installing a gauge and being able to read it (plug and play). That likely comes down to their abilities, want for a specific look, or what they are used to.

I agree that there is some great and inexpensive data acquisition tech out there, but I have no desire to deal with the setup and fabrication for any of my vehicles.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 30 2018, 11:38 AM) *

You like gauges? Get 'em, enjoy 'em. But I strongly disagree that they're necessary for safe operation of any equipment. If you want data acq, get data acq (it's actually quite affordable now). Me, I'll pay attention to the driving and watch for attention-grabbing lights to tell me when something's wrong... - GA

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 30 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I like mine, it looks more stock than others. Mine is the same as this one, but with out the silver dot.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jan 30 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

At night, the stock combo gauge only has a small window of light emitting thru the fuel gauge. It looks inconsistent compared to the tach and speedo gauges. Having dual gauges in the combo gauge looks better in the standpoint that light is evenly distributed thru both gauge openings. It's really a preference thing.
+Quote Post
jor
post Jan 30 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #15

Just happy to be here.

Member No.: 17,693
Region Association: Southern California

Setting aside the informational value of the gauges, I like mine because I think it looks good and it's fun to see the oil pressure needle moving as get on and off the throttle. Okay, that might not add value to this conversation, but it's true.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jan 30 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 30 2018, 06:13 AM) *

+1 ... I tend to prefer simplicity as well. I was going to add head temp gauges per bank and EGT gauges per cylinder for A/F tuning/monitoring. But for now I'm going to get everything assembled and harness working in OE configuration first. Then maybe add fun stuff as needed .. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 30 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #17

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I find a pressure gauge distracting. I'm always thinking "is that a good number?" Luckily only my Chevys have them. For everything else I figure I either have pressure or I don't and a lite.

For a bone stock 914 just the temp gauge is sufficient.

The only time I can think of that a gauge would have been helpful is on my daily years back. Had a crank seal oil leak, thus a bit low sometimes, and coming down an overpass under sporty braking I think the oil level dropped too low, as I found wear on the cam bearings. Seeing a pressure drop might have changed that outcome.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 30 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #18

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

My set up

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jan 30 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2018, 11:56 AM) *

My set up

Looks very 911 ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
sithot
post Jan 30 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 30 2018, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2018, 11:56 AM) *

My set up

Looks very 911 ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Even the dual gauge 911 Temp/Pressure gauge has an idiot oil pressure light.

I've seen worn out Porsche cars with flickering lights at or near idle when hot.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:07 AM