Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift Rod Coil Pin Hole ?
ChrisFoley
post Feb 9 2018, 12:25 PM
Post #21

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

With the console removed you can move each selector rod into gear by levering with a big-ass screwdriver/prybar.
You can also verify that the spacing/alignment of the selector rods is correct if you have the specs from the workshop manual.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 9 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #22

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Those washers are missing on most of the shifter consoles and are not actually critical to the operation of the part. They serve to keep wear of metal on metal down to a minimum, but there is not all that much wear. The comb will align with the rods irrespective of the washers presence.

Yes, make sure no paper gasket is there (only the O ring). It is a tail shift/nose shift part and can mess up shifting with a side shift console.

I also wonder if work was done recently and the rods were not adjusted correctly. Chris has the right next step, try shifting them with a screwdriver or bar from the hole.

Sometimes it is a pain to shift into gear with it not running or if it hasn't been lubed by being run after someone was in it.

The fact that you can shift once the Swepco is drained is odd. That would indicate that your synchro bands are not able to exert enough force on the slider to keep it locked in and it is too slick causing it to pop out. Like trying to hold a greasy pig.
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 9 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think Mike's owned the car 10 years. Daily driver in San Diego 5 years ago. Been on jack stands the 5 years its been in PDX. Who knows. Tried it with dyno gear lube. No go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Swapping out the gear box from my project car. We have it about ready to drop on the table. Mike's thinking he'll take a swing it rebuilding.

Now me I'm thinking I'll start begging for a Dr. Evil rebuild clinic here at MiddleMotors.
Starting List :

Cary
Super In Law (Jack)
Mark Whitesell
Matt Whitesell
Mike Warhurst
Taylor Whitesell

Maybe we can use the McMenamins Grand Lodge for our out of town guests. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 9 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #24

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(cary @ Feb 9 2018, 11:45 PM) *

I think Mike's owned the car 10 years. Daily driver in San Diego 5 years ago. Been on jack stands the 5 years its been in PDX. Who knows. Tried it with dyno gear lube. No go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Swapping out the gear box from my project car. We have it about ready to drop on the table. Mike's thinking he'll take a swing it rebuilding.

Now me I'm thinking I'll start begging for a Dr. Evil rebuild clinic here at MiddleMotors.
Starting List :

Cary
Super In Law (Jack)
Mark Whitesell
Matt Whitesell
Mike Warhurst
Taylor Whitesell

Maybe we can use the McMenamins Grand Lodge for our out of town guests. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I love McMenamins (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I’m closing down for a few weeks/mo. Right now I’m only doing what I have in shop. I need to get current home ready to sell, listed, and then I can maybe do some building of o don’t start on the garage extension build right away on the new house. Gonna be busy until May, at least. I still offer the DVD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 9 2018, 11:22 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

I have your DVD and written word all set to go for Mike ............
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 15 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Update : We ended Saturday just about ready to reinstall. (AX Annual Tech for the Carrera in the am) While we had it out , again. It got a new alternator harness. Its going to get a new ignition harness too, but I'll need to do a conversion to a 72 today. Sorry to say the heater wires will have ride on the outside. But they'll be new and fresh.
Hopefully 10 years hasn't jinxed my spare gear box and Mike will be driving home tomorrow. He's talking about taking it down to Route 66. That would give him a some time with the dye kit in the engine oil to help us (me) find the oil leak(s). Filter was about a 1/4 to 1/3 turn loose, hopefully that was it.
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 17 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

On his way home .................... with his borrowed gear box.
Hit the linkage adjustment dead on first shot. Chris bungee cord in neutral

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

He'll be back this afternoon to box up his spare parts. I'm going to tune his window frame so they fit tight to the windshield frame. Clutch needs some adjustment. Jacked out and to the left. Goofy ............ While the pedal cover is off I'll set the brake pedal free play to spec. Then we'll see if he wants a little tune on the pedal free play.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:26 PM