Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When you would use Tangerine Racing Shift Linkage Kit?, Worth doing even with worn synchros?
post Feb 4 2018, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Michael in Seattle

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've got a 1970 914-4 converted to side shift at some point. The synchros on every gear except 3rd are shot so I'd like to rebuild the transmission someday. Already ordered Dr. Evil's DVD.

The shifter is also vague even by 914 standards. We looked underneath and mechanic has suggested I order a rear shifter bushing. I got on http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm and noticed Chris also has what seems to be a complete linkage replacement, plus a firewall bushing, and an adjustment kit. Since I didn't spend much on the car itself, I have budget for stuff like this.

Is it worth doing even if it might be months or a year before I can get to the transmission rebuild? In the 80's at a weekend driving school I could have sworn I drove a Formula Ford without any synchros at all. Do we really need them if we're double declutching and matching revs?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 4 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tangerine linkage is great but do it when you do your trans. Before the trans is fixed, you are just wasting your time.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Feb 14 2018, 04:59 AM
Post #3

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 4 2018, 02:56 PM) *

Tangerine linkage is great but do it when you do your trans. Before the trans is fixed, you are just wasting your time.

OK. Dr. Evil transmission is making its way here.

Someone will have to haul away my existing one from Duvall WA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:41 AM