Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VIN inspection, california bureaucrats
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 9 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,793
Region Association: None

I took my 914 into the California DMV to get a VIN verification on it, since it did have a title and is out of the DMV system. They refused to inspect it, saying it must be a 'complete car'. Now it didn't have an engine, trans, doors or hoods or seats or a dash, but the VIN isn't on any of those parts, and the reg 31 form has a checkbox for 'missing' on the engine and odometer.

This really had me angry. I know there are 3rd party licensed VIN verification people, will they give me the same dismissal? Join AAA and have them to do it?
Any other ideas? Get Nevada title first and then xfter to CA?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gms
post Feb 9 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I know people who have done the VT route but you must pay sales tax on bluebook of car. They dont have titles but you get a registration that you can use to get a title. Disclaimer: check with your state before trying this
+Quote Post
theer
post Feb 9 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

I had a similar issue here in Mass. I went to Maine then transferred the reg back. I spent some time driving up there & back, but ended up saving a bunch on sales tax.

So, based on my very limited experience, I would say go to Nevada. DMV folks in Mass tried - they really did - but the system just wont let them deal with anything "unusual."

+Quote Post
theer
post Feb 9 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,014

QUOTE(gms @ Feb 9 2018, 11:19 AM) *

I know people who have done the VT route but you must pay sales tax on bluebook of car. They dont have titles but you get a registration that you can use to get a title. Disclaimer: check with your state before trying this

Mass has the same rule re: sales tax.

In Maine... For cars built before 1995, no title is needed. Reg. & sales tax based on Bill of Sale. You do need a valid address, though. I used a friend's.

Both were problems for me in Mass, as I had bought the shell in CA for $200 back in 1988 (didn't know to ask for the CA title back then). Mass would have wanted to charge sales tax on bluebook AND penalties & interest for the slight 30 year delay.

+Quote Post
sithot
post Feb 9 2018, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 9 2018, 11:00 AM) *

I took my 914 into the California DMV to get a VIN verification on it, since it did have a title and is out of the DMV system. They refused to inspect it, saying it must be a 'complete car'. Now it didn't have an engine, trans, doors or hoods or seats or a dash, but the VIN isn't on any of those parts, and the reg 31 form has a checkbox for 'missing' on the engine and odometer.

This really had me angry. I know there are 3rd party licensed VIN verification people, will they give me the same dismissal? Join AAA and have them to do it?

With no current title that's tough.
Most states want the vehicle to be road worthy before they'll inspect and issue paperwork.
A lot of title providers have dried up as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGAC3XS83Dg

http://www.titlerecovery.com
+Quote Post
green914
post Feb 9 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

Did you try taking it to a CHP station for inspection? I went through the same BS with California DMV on one of mine. I took the car to a local CHP station and had no problem.
+Quote Post
green914
post Feb 9 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #7

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Nice to see another local 914 enthusiast.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 9 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #8

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Not sure if CA is this way but in most NE states you can also have your VIN verification done by a military officer if you know one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 9 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(green914 @ Feb 9 2018, 08:32 AM) *

Did you try taking it to a CHP station for inspection? I went through the same BS with California DMV on one of mine. I took the car to a local CHP station and had no problem.

Haven't tried that, will they have issue with no doors, hoods, engine, etc?
Just show up in the lobby and ask?
I did that for a fixit ticket once, but local PD, not CHP.

BTW, if car has out-of-state title, it still needs a VIN verification to get a CA title, so the Nevada idea won't work.

BBTW, I still had car on trailer and had to take it off and will be storing it for a little while, and waiting 2 weeks for my dmv appointment, now it isn't on the trailer anymore,
I have 3000 lbs of sand on it right now.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 9 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 9 2018, 08:00 AM) *

I thought VIN verifications were for cars 'without' titles?
+Quote Post
green914
post Feb 9 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 9 2018, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(green914 @ Feb 9 2018, 08:32 AM) *

Haven't tried that, will they have issue with no doors, hoods, engine, etc?
Just show up in the lobby and ask?
I did that for a fixit ticket once, but local PD, not CHP.

BTW, if car has out-of-state title, it still needs a VIN verification to get a CA title, so the Nevada idea won't work.

BBTW, I still had car on trailer and had to take it off and will be storing it for a little while, and waiting 2 weeks for my dmv appointment, now it isn't on the trailer anymore,
I have 3000 lbs of sand on it right now.

The car did not have a the drive train in it, but otherwise complete. Try calling CHP first and see what they say.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 9 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

In CA you can take it to AAA or any police officer can visit the site and fill in the paper work (one sheet) which is available at any DMV. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Feb 9 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #13

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Recently I towed my "project" to the AAA and the AAA/DMV clerk tagged it.

I also know a guy that just registered his Ariel Atom at AAA....as a plug in hybrid. He went to Home Depot and bought a 20 foot 220 volt extension cord; shoved one end in the engine cover and told the clerk it's a plug in.

Try AAA
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 9 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Heads up that the CHP will likely tell you the same thing: No complete car = no inspection.

This happened to me last year.

I had the CHP inspect my '75 roller just a few months before so when I towed a '72 roller there for the same thing, the officer who did my '75 said there were recent rule changes and it's a complete car or no go.

This was in NCAL but I gotta believe it's CA wide.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 9 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #15

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Also in my experience California will still charge you sales tax when bringing in a car from out of state.

It's always baffled me that once you're titled and registered, we have no true vehicle inspections here, so as long as you pass smog (which for 1996 and newer just means no emissions-related OBD codes), you could be driving around with bald tires, one headlight, faulty brakes, and 2 misfiring cylinders. And of course hundreds of thousands of people do. Years ago I got plowed by a young woman with a suspended license, no insurance, and malfunctioning brakes...apparently she'd been living that way for months if not years.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 9 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #16

ok, so i called third-party vin verifier and they can't do it without any title, old reg, i.e. no paperwork. Only CHP can do it. I called local office and 'vin officer' was not in today but will call back to make schedule an appointment.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 9 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 9 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Heads up that the CHP will likely tell you the same thing: No complete car = no inspection.

I had the CHP inspect my '75 roller just a few months before so when I towed a '72 roller there for the same thing, the officer who did my '75 said there were recent rule changes and it's a complete car or no go.

That sucks big time, so what do they consider 'complete'? must have original engine with all accessories? Ash tray and windows?
What did you do?

BTW, most all storage places require A TITLE to store a vehicle, so without a title storage options significantly reduced.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 9 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

The California DMV is nothing more than a money collecting agency. For a definitive answer for anything I always went to the CHP. They know the law better and are usually more willing to help.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 9 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 9 2018, 12:02 PM) *

Recently I towed my "project" to the AAA and the AAA/DMV clerk tagged it.

I also know a guy that just registered his Ariel Atom at AAA....as a plug in hybrid. He went to Home Depot and bought a 20 foot 220 volt extension cord; shoved one end in the engine cover and told the clerk it's a plug in.

Try AAA

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 9 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 9 2018, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 9 2018, 09:18 AM) *

That sucks big time, so what do they consider 'complete'? must have original engine with all accessories? Ash tray and windows?
What did you do?

BTW, most all storage places require A TITLE to store a vehicle, so without a title storage options significantly reduced.

I assumed complete meant, essentially, "running/roadworthy". Mine was a stripped roller so I didn't really get into much of the detail with the officer. It was almost funny, as he was walking out toward me and the car, as soon as he saw it, he started shaking his head...
As to what I did? I cut it up and parted it out as all I wanted to do was title it and sell it. But no one wanted to buy an untitled, out-of-state roller...

I really hope it all works out for you.

Also, I have some other details that you may be interested in hearing. If so, PM me and we can chat.
Chris
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:41 AM