Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who else has been here at least 10 years ? Share your story ...., Happy Anniversary to all '10 year or older' members
DRPHIL914
post Feb 10 2018, 06:25 AM
Post #21

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

will be 9 years this fall ouch!
not 10 but close- bought non running 914 car for $2000,
it looked to be in good shape all original interior etc but a older respray- Ohio car that went to Ca( 29 Palms) then a marine brought it to east coast NC, where after sitting for a year they couldnt get it started, - my son wanted a project to do a possible electric converson- i spent $500 to get a new mps fuel lines etc c
ed and cleaned the tsnk and presto it ran! never did that conversion, just lots of fix and replace of 40 year old stuff- its now been stripped and is in primer almost ready for new paint- the rest of the details on my thread-
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 10 2018, 07:08 AM
Post #22

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

15 years this month. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I found out about Pelican Parts forum from somewhere and was on the 914 section for years. Then one day everyone seemed to have moved to somewhere else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) They all went to the 914Club and now here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

My wife, daughter and I went out to the WCC in Portland in '06. Met a great bunch of guys. I've owned my 914 since 1979! Owned several since then.

Two things that I'm known for; I built the world's lightest 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) And I repair outside door handles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
Oh yea, one other thing- I have the most posts on the board.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 10 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #23

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

So I have been on here for 11 years. I used to hang out a little on Pelican and when I looking for my 6 -I heard of the world. The nicest people welcomed me here and I have gotten so much information from so many people here it has been great. I have tried to give back with my own experiences.

As with any online group we have a mix but I find that Porsche people, 914 people are great. A number of people have passed away and that is sad but we did get to know them a little.

I used to travel all over the world on business and when I got to that hotel room in Asia or Europe or South America, I would find some up was up and on the 914wold site.

Kept me sane or nuts. Not sure but I want to thank all the fine foals that allowed us to have the world.

Frist 914 in 1979 and it was a Black 74 2.0- I loved that car

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 10 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #24

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Followed the rest of the herd after the split. Before club there was a site I found. 914dgi.net? There was a whole crew of folks mostly in Cal that seemed to be having a bunch of fun and it was a incredible source of information. Before that I was a fledgling with a AA catalog, a Haynes manual and a set of metric tools. Very early on at STF, then the bird and the rest is well documented.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 10 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I've been here since 2005.
Only site I visit daily.
First 914 ('70) in 1977, replaced soon after with 1972 that got such a full restoration
that it sold in 1984 for $8500. Big money in those days but got us into our first house.
Two years later my first 6 (basket case) arrived.
Still have it.
Along the way many 914s and a few 6s have come and gone.
Four still here. Twenty two cylinders total.
Ray Mital (rmital here) is my local 914 compadre.
Been to many Parades including Seattle/Tacoma in 1976 (?)....five people in a '59
sunroof coupe and a '69T......2800 miles each way.
Drove my '72 to the parade in Lake of the Ozarks.
PCA member since 1983.
Still at it today with a GT project in the garage
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 10 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #26

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

15 years and change (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I started with the pelican board and then the guys made the 914club, after a month after the announcement I decided to join this one as well and it took off quickly.

At the time I bought my car I was only 14, I couldnt even drive! I was the youngest for many years. Math tells me that I was 16 when I joined here.

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 10 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #27

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I'm a very early member as you can see. My 914 problem started in 1998/99 when I also had an early taildragger (911 for you newbs) and was about to take it apart for an 18-24 month resto project. It had been my daily driver at the time for several years and I only had about a 3-mile work commute -- a 20-30 minute drive for those of you unfamiliar with West LA, LOL -- killed me to think about not having a driveable p-car for so long. I really "fell into" the 914 since there was relatively little info online or resources out there in general, other than a few books like the Johnson one I suppose. I got very lucky and locally found a solid, complete Ravenna 73 2.0 with proper D-jet, chrome bumpers, working center console, etc. for $2300! (By the way back in the 90's I had paid ~$7500 for that 1970 911E and a good buddy had bought a 70 911T for $6000. Of course they were just perceived as quirky, expensive 'used cars' back then. We're both still kicking ourselves for selling too early.)

Back before 914club and then 914world, there was something called Porschephiles which was mainly/only an email distro list, Rennlist and also a chat-room several of us wasted endless evenings in. MikeZ (had a great flared 3.0-six), Sammy Gore (one of the early homebuilt turbo 914-4 projects), Steve Malm (the 914ZX!) and various others. Also I remember the early days Pelican was spinning-up when it was basically Tom Gould selling used parts and anything else he could out of a tiny space down behind LAX while Wayne was hacking out code and lashing-together computers as fast as he could. Wow that was a long time ago!
+Quote Post
post Feb 10 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 19

I am a Really early member as you can see.. Owned my 71 for forty years and found a 70 Six on this site twelve years ago..Bought many parts and asked many questions threw out the years..Thank You 914world.com..
914/Alan
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 10 2018, 09:19 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I’m coming up on 13 years as a World member, but did the 914Club before that and was a member of the 914-6 Club in the pre-internet day’s. I bought my first 914 2.0 new back in 1974 while I was in grad school, and learned about auto-x and joined the local sports car club. I sold it when I found a 914-6 in a barn in southern Illinois (bought at night in a snowstorm after a short test drive). As I was still in college, I hoped it would last till I graduated, but it’s still going strong 43 years later. A couple of open top 911s came around when we had small children so we could go out as a family, but as kids grew, the 911s gave way to an additional ‘73 914. Of course, being used to the power of Porsche -6s, the -4 didn’t last too long before a big engined conversion was undertaken. Great, fun project that still resides in my garage and a 200 hp engine really makes a 914 an ultimate go-kart.

Age and comfort added another 911 (‘84 Targa) into the family as I succumbed to the lure of more comfort and AC. I know that I’ll eventually have to grow up and illness has prevented me from driving them these days, but what a ride! Thankfully I can get my fix from the 914World anytime I want!
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Feb 10 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 9,985

9 years this month, close enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

‘73 1.7 914 yellow all original. This was the first Porsche I owned for about 2 years. Did a very solid refresh and drove it a lot.

‘82 SC, great car with a strong 3.0L, I should have kept the car, hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Drove this car a lot too.

‘73 2.0 914 that was saved from a garage. It was in outstanding condition. I did not have it very long because I was interested in something else...

Intermeccanica, fiberglass car that was expensive when I bought it, replaced the engine and sold it after a couple of years.

996...had this car the longest, and I still have it. basically the fastest car at the intersection (most of the time)

‘75 2.0 914 this car is in worse condition that all the others with the area under the battery being rusted, interior is unattractive but it has a 911 front end and I just refreshed the motor. It’s going to be on the road in a few months.

The regulars that use this site are awesome friendly people that like cars and doing it yourself (most of the time). It’s the best car site around.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 10 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #31

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So this November will be 10 years for me. I sold my '01 NSX shortly before I joined here and soon after started looking for a Six (3rd Six in my lifetime). Joined on November 1, 2008 and it made the world of difference for me (see what I did there?).

I found my Six thanks to SirAndy and was able to buy it in February of 2010, after almost 9 months of "negotiating" between my wife and the seller.....the wife may have come out ahead as she got a new MBZ coupe out of the deal.

I have been through a lot with this car. The only reason I did not abandon the project and sell the car about 1 year ago, after nothing was going right, was that I just really love these cars and wanted to bring it back to what it once was.

I began talking to other shops and hit the freakin' Lotto when I was contacted by Jim, (Banananose) founding member of the Justice League (IMHO) offering the assistance of he and his crew- Kent, Andy, Dave and perhaps a couple others. That is exactly what I needed. Talented, skilled, honest guys who love these cars and know them inside-out.

I have always said I wanted my car built absolutely right - despite the minor changes I have made. I believe in doing it once, doing it right and then enjoying it. With Jim's Justice League team this Six will be exactly what I wanted all along and done to the standard I always wanted. The absolute frosting on the cake is having met Jim and his crew - these are salt-of-the-earth kind of guys. When you meet them, you immediately recognize they are the real deal. I feel fortunate to know them and have them working on my car. I plan to remain friends with them for the rest of my life.

That's my story- the short version- and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Michael
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Feb 10 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #32

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Been here a long long time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 10 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #33

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Most of you know me, but I originally came here for a father son project. I had a 914 in high school, and my oldest son Michael and I were working on his 1st car. I didn't think I'd spend so much time here but set him up with an account "mikey914"
Never planned on starting a business, and as it grew thought it would be just too confusing to change identities. So I'm really Mark AKA Mikey914.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 10 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I bought my car on ebay (sight unseen) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) September 2002. It sat on jack stand for a year and a half. My first event was WCC 2004 in the bay area. I first met Joe Sharp, THOMAS, Howard Dranow and others at a planning event for WCC 2005. Everyone was very helpful and encouraging about maintaining my car.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 10 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #35

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I go back to the 914 Club Renegade page on dgi.net, and I've been here since March 03. I got my first 914 in Oct of 1978, which got totaled 3 months later in a Chicago winter of '79 snow related accident. 914's are great in the snow BTW, not that you'd do that today. I've had some great experiences as a result of my love of 914's, and they continue in part because of the enthusiasts on this site (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 10 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #36

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

I just checked in here today and am amazed how many have responded.....

Also noticed Mike Fitton reading these posts...
Mike, tell us your story !

YOU have one of the most perfect 914s to be seen. I know, because we stood around it looking at it at Elkhart Lake, WI where you had it at the street Concours that night .......
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Feb 10 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

I didn't realize I had been around here since '04 until the subject came up, another transfer from PP to Club then here to World. In '02 I paid Dad $1 for his original owner '73 1.7L, a legacy in original condition with 41K miles. Named her Dad's Mistress as she was and is rust free for an Ohio car, survived the slow death by rust due to Dad's driving her only in good dry weather, about the same way I treat her now. She still has original beautiful Delphi Green(L99A) factory paint on the battery tray, but the exterior was repainted 3 yrs. ago. I've made a few upgrades to keep her driving, moved fuel pump, currently installing new fuel lines, sealing fuel tank, and while I'm at it a front sway bar. She's sleeping under her cover until weather warms up the garage so I can finish the fuel system maintenance, and will turn over 58K miles this summer driving events with the local PCA club. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Feb 10 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 9 2018, 08:18 PM) *

Just noticed when I made a reply on another post,
I had a date with destiny 11 years ago today.....

I don't post here a lot, but do a fair amount of reading. Thanks folks for being a great source for information on these fantastic but quirky little Porsches.

I came 11 years ago; Riley still has my black car! Someday I'm buying it back...

Good to hear from the Green Man!

Paul
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 10 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #39

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Early 1970s - My high school shop teacher had a 914. Mmmm...I was hooked.
1978 - My first 914, a 73 1.7 in the midwest. It was already rusty.
80s-90's - You know - school, wife, kids, career, 1st house...
1998 - Next 914, a 74 2.0L - Light Ivory with Fuchs. dgi.net, Club, rennlist, Pelican, World.
1998-2001 - Wiring harness research and reverse engineering
2001 - Began building 914 wiring harnesses
2001 - My first LE, a Bumblebee, then several more LEs and a couple 914s I parted
Today - Own a 50K mile orignial paint BB, another 74 2.0L ABM project car and have built more than 800 914 wiring harnesses and more than a few MPS's. On the lookout for a perfect Creamsicle...

Met some great 914 friends along the way and the midlife crisis continues to this day, 20 years later... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Something you might be surprised to know: I have never owned a 914 that has needed one of my own wiring harnesses, and all are/were FI cars.
+Quote Post
914dave
post Feb 10 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #40

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

Been a member here since 03' and have owned 914's since 1997. Was always a car guy. Muscle/street rod/dirt track racing. When the ex wife moved out unexpectedly in the spring of 97 a coworker asked if I wanted to go to Porsche swap meet to get out of the house. So I tagged along to the last Swap Meet at Ski Roundtop before it moved to Hershey. Met a few 914 guys and ended up buying 2 crappy 914s to make into one. Bought a parts car out of my first PCA mag and scrapped the others. Drove that car for 5 years.
Then while looking at a 356A I found my current car. drove that for five years before I found a 6 mount @ Hershey that started 9 year restoration/conversion. Here's a pic of my car at the 2005 East Coast Cookout and how it looks today.Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:03 AM