Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who else has been here at least 10 years ? Share your story ...., Happy Anniversary to all '10 year or older' members
Dave_Darling
post Feb 10 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #41

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I was a little late to this party. Still been 15 years here or so.

I was on Porschephiles at first. A coworker of mine was a member, and got me into that.

Later there were Porschelist which became Rennlist.

In the meantime, the DGI.net website, and Tim's 914 Fan Page had 914 forums. They worked well, especially the DGI one.

Pelican invited me to contribute to their website, and do admin-type stuff on their 914 BBS.

Randy at Roadglue put together a forum at the ISP where he was employed at the time.

Then I heard about another forum that was starting up. I didn't give it much thought for a while, but there seemed to be a bunch of activity there. And one of the founders was really good at selling ideas... So I wandered over to the Club site, and here I am!

Got my first 914 in 1991, influenced by the coworker mentioned above. Had my current one since 1993, and broken just about everything on it along the way... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Feb 10 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #42

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have been on here since about 2001 introduced to the then "Club" by Qarl
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Feb 10 2018, 07:49 PM
Post #43

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

1992 - I got my first 914 and attended several 914 Owners Association 'Reunion' events. I met other warp minded 914 friends who are still active here today.

2003 - A member on eBay told me about this place a few months after it came on-line when I asked some questions about a car he was selling.
(I had sold the street car and was racing a 914 at the time.)

2005 - Broke from racing and wanting a streetable 914 again, I found Elvira.

2018 - It gives me great joy to see how the Red Rock and Route 66 Classic events continue to bring us together.
(I really love it that others have now taken on the planning details.)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 10 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #44

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Feb 10 2018, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 9 2018, 08:18 PM) *

Just noticed when I made a reply on another post,
I had a date with destiny 11 years ago today.....

I don't post here a lot, but do a fair amount of reading. Thanks folks for being a great source for information on these fantastic but quirky little Porsches.

I came 11 years ago; Riley still has my black car! Someday I'm buying it back...

Good to hear from the Green Man!

Paul

Paul, good to hear from you again !

The black car is still in our friend's care. I see it from time to time when visiting. Hopefully Riley will add his thoughts here as well, for I know he comes here often to peruse this site, and has been here much longer than I. I remember going to his shop shortly after buying my '74 and watching him pore over this site. It meant nothing to me back in the mid nineties because I didn't even own a computer then.... I was just beginning my baby steps in the 'new age' of technology and carrying around a Motorola book phone with a handset much like what hung on our kitchen wall ! A pc was not even in my playbook.

I will post a few pics of my car when I get my photo card from my other place, as I don't have it with me now. I should mention the car appears today as it did when it was built by Porsche back in August of 1973. It carries a VIN # of 0089 and originally came with no side stripes, but the original owner who bought it to take on his Honeymoon touring the West Coast and Grand Canyon, also had 'negative' PORSCHE side appliques put on at the door bottoms in black. I noticed a few edges had begun to delam from the door and had chipped off, so the whole stripe was removed. Today it shows as an all yellow car with black sail panels (original) and carries it's FUCHS, foglites, rear window heater, and console with gauges as it's options. It also has a German Blaupunkt Frankfurt with sideband as it's other interior option.

It is pretty hard to believe this August it will be celebrating 45 years of life ..... and averaging less than 1500 miles per year. Most of those miles were put there by the original owner, a school teacher from Great Falls, MT. He had an invoice in the bundle of receipts showing the original gear shift knob was replaced by Porsche under warranty while he was traveling thru Arizona. For some ridiculously low amount ( like 4 or 5 bucks billed out to the factory ), as it had cracked and broken in half off the lever at just a few thousand miles. That was about the only anomaly noted in the sheaf of paperwork that included mostly oil changes and tire rotations during the time he owned it.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 10 2018, 09:24 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Been here since 2004.

Andys
+Quote Post
Robert21
post Feb 10 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #46

ron21

Member No.: 2,330

Been here since 2009 met a lot a great people and great Bar Q s at Joe Sharps house .

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 11 2018, 02:15 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

I started the msdsinc online site in 1997, then just kind of surfed various Porsche , VW and BMW sites. At one of the German Autofest aka the Ventura Shows I met many 914 owners that were members on 914Club (914World today )...and mentioned that it's a real cool place for technical chat. So on 9-14-04, I joined up and enjoy the people and tech talk to this day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 11 2018, 05:46 AM
Post #48

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Was a Member of 914Club since '04 then migrated here. I've owned over Thirty 914s including Six real -6s, a few Conversions. Currently don't have a 914 for the 1st time since 1992
+Quote Post
RickS
post Feb 11 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 5,880

Been around for 10 years learning, sharing and as a result spending way too much money. The greatest pitfall of an enthusiast forum are fixes and upgrades which cost cubic dollars. I make sure to never tell my wife or all hell will break oose. Oh honey, about that vacation fund, uh...
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 11 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #50

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 11 2018, 11:55 AM) *

Been around for 10 years learning, sharing and as a result spending way too much money. The greatest pitfall of an enthusiast forum are fixes and upgrades which cost cubic dollars. I make sure to never tell my wife or all hell will break oose. Oh honey, about that vacation fund, uh...

yup, my wife and 2 of our daughters went on a Paris and London trip last year- guess what her budget was? pretty close to the 914 rust repair and repaint budget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) i guess thats fair - would be different if this was a daily driver but its an extra or as she says "toy"
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 11 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I got here as fast as I could. I came this way after the split too. I have been buying and selling since I got the 1st 914 in 1985. My Porsche history goes even further back though. My 1st 1967 911S in 1970 set the stage for too many different models of Porsche cars. The only one I have never owned is a 928.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 11 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #52

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Member 87 myself so I guess I've been here for a while (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Like Dave, I too was a member of Porschelist>Rennlist>Pelican>914Club and finally here.

I actually just re-joined Rennlist last week, I think I stopped after John Dunkle (?) sold it off or whatever happened.

1st 914 in '94 I believe, had a few here and there. In '08 or so I sold my 914, the trailer and pretty much everything 914 or Porsche related I sold or gave away. Stopped visiting all lists/forums and one day in '15 I was offered a 914 at a good price and jumped at at. (I still was in contact with many members thru the years even without owning a 914 anymore)

Glad to have come back, really great group of people.

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Feb 11 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #53

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

Been about 11 years for me. The Club before that. Drove my first 914 in about 1980 I believe, belonged to a buddy. Bought my first one in '85 or '86. Bought a beautiful Creamsicle in '90, was totaled less than 72 hours later. Used the insurance money and ended up buying two more. I now possess the titles to 7 of these money pits and have no clue how many more I have owned. Not nearly as active as I used to be but it has been only about a month since I purchased my last one.

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
913B
post Feb 11 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 3,983

My profile says 2005, so some 13 years. Graduated from high school and was originally and still into rotaries, hence my handle 913b_sp, 13B streetport, still have that motor. Got tired of chasing after the elusive RX-3. My high school buddy said they have kits to install into a 914. The 914 was unique and had the convertible targa top, sure why not. Found a lien sale 74 off the Recycler classifieds in Compton, the owner was a musician. Ice T ? AAA it back home and worked on the conversion for nearly two decades, accompanied me through college and marriage, never finished. Started lurking around this new thing called the internet and the site was called pelican parts, read some thread about a site devoted to 914 called 914club, read there was a meet in Calabasas. Went their with my son and buddy and got some motivation back. Switched over to 914world during the buy out drama of the club. Until recently had a work relocation, realized the 74 never got finished and never will. Sold it instead of dragging it to yet another move. I moved three times and the 74 would come and go on the AAA chariot. I still have the 71 I purchased a few years back to keep the dream alive. I don't know why I just cant shake this disease that makes me come back to this place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Feb 11 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #55

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Joined back in JAN '03. Bought the 914 new in May 1972; still have it 237K+ miles later:

Attached Image

As my bride says, "It's not a car, it's a time machine!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 11 2018, 03:30 PM
Post #56

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racer
post Feb 11 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 1,073

On and off the 914 Boards for almost 15 years. Got my first 914, my bothers's hand me down, back in 1987 (he got it in 1982 - a 70 1.7). Kept it till 2000 when I thought a 911 would be better. Then couldn't stay away and picked up a nice 76 2.0.. then stepped away.. and now I am caretaker to my dad's 914-6 (he was the original owner). PCA member since about 1990.. PCA track rat kid since the 1970's so I feel like I've been around 914's my whole life!
+Quote Post
jfort
post Feb 11 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Bought a six in 1976. Family reqirements pushed me to a series of 911’s, until 2003 when I got the current six. The engine is out for a rebuild and we’ve spent the last 2 days cleaning underneath. Can’t wait for spring!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 12 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #59

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Dang, almost 15 yrs for me. I started on Pelican well before Club. At that time I was just getting used to the internet, and Club seemed like a Brad fan club so I hesitated to join...blinked about a week and the numbers exploded and the content was/has always been amazing.

Found 1st 914 in 96-97, needed cheep transpo and it was a 70 or 71 1.7L with the usual issues. $1600. Took it back to the base at CGAS SFO and proceeded to mess with it. Messing with it was one of the best parts. Sold it in 2000 when I got out of the Coast Guard and went back to San Diego for college. I figured Id have no time nor money and would get another sometime way in the future. Got hit while on my motorcycle (actually was a yearly occurrence in college), was not seriously damaged, bike needed $300-500, I got $3k and started looking for anther 914. Found one with a blown motor, 73 1.7L in Tracy, CA for like $2k and it was very clean otherwise. Have been screwing with them since.

I have met a vast majority of the members here from all over. This car has given me some great memories, friends, experiences, and skills. Since starting here I graduated college and went to med school, got married, graduated med school and got a MPH, went to residency, had a kid in 2013, picked up to foster daughters (one now in college, the other accepted to college to be a nurse and graduating HS in May) in 2015, got divorced in 2018, and had a few moves and life changes. My wedding was well attended by 914 people, one performed the ceremony (*not his fault on the outcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), one was best man, and I used a borrowed 914 that I later bought and recently sold as our car for the honeymoon (again, not the cars fault on the outcome). When I see pics from back in the day, and how many of our friends are no longer with us, it really does give one pause. I hope to pick up my activity around this place in the near future once I get my life a little more sorted out. Things are all looking up, though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) 914 folks are the best!

Man, that was the short version....the whole version would take hours to write/read. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Feb 12 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #60

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I have been a member since ? have a 74 that has everything done over the years .In the shop now but should be done soon. 2650 eng. tall gear trans. you name it and it has been done. bought the car in Santa Barbara off ebay I am probably one of the oldest members, 85 yrs. old
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:34 AM