Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who else has been here at least 10 years ? Share your story ...., Happy Anniversary to all '10 year or older' members
EdwardBlume
post Feb 12 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #61

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I got member no. 81 from a troll farm in Russia. I get my post counts up by having my bots ask the same car questions over and over. What’s a 914? Vodka? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 12 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #62

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Long enough to be the "young guy" to not so much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Feb 12 2018, 03:59 PM
Post #63

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

way too long ago
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 12 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Been here since the start. Would have a lower member number but I had a AOL dial up connection took me a week for the sign up page to load. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Feb 12 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #65

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

I got into Club after I got my 914...then the split....and heeeere weeeee arrrrrrre
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 12 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #66

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Since we are reminiscing...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post Feb 12 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #67

RobnxiousOne

Member No.: 7,097
Region Association: Northern California

Well, I guess technically I have been a member for over 10 years, since once back in 2006, when I was looking to buy a 914, and for some reason I joined up here. Imagine my shock when in 2016, I finally bought one, and found out I had been a member for 10 years. I guess I missed alot of the drama, but alot of the good times as well. Need to make up for some lost time over the next few years
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Feb 12 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

I joined in 06 when I had my 914-6, which I shouldn't have sold. Now got re-involved with my current build.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 12 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 2,922

I got my car 20 years ago in 1998 as a 2.0 autocross flat four (I was 15!). In 2000 my uncle and I converted it to a 2.7L flat six (with a very tired and leaky motor). While I started college the car sat at my uncles for a number of years. Half way through college I paid back my debts to my uncle for the upgrades and got the car back in my possession. At that time I joined 914club to try and work on my car, but I didn't have any money. In 2006 I almost sold it but luckily I kept it. I got a full time job out of college and started looking for a new motor. Got a 3.0 with webers in it and started a/x and track, man that was fun. Have now rebuilt it to a 3.2L... Still obsessed with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)...

+Quote Post
simonjb
post Feb 12 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #70

KiwiMan

Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Feb 11 2018, 03:54 PM) *

My profile says 2005, so some 13 years. Graduated from high school and was originally and still into rotaries, hence my handle 913b_sp, 13B streetport, still have that motor. Got tired of chasing after the elusive RX-3. My high school buddy said they have kits to install into a 914. The 914 was unique and had the convertible targa top, sure why not. Found a lien sale 74 off the Recycler classifieds in Compton, the owner was a musician. Ice T ? AAA it back home and worked on the conversion for nearly two decades, accompanied me through college and marriage, never finished. Started lurking around this new thing called the internet and the site was called pelican parts, read some thread about a site devoted to 914 called 914club, read there was a meet in Calabasas. Went their with my son and buddy and got some motivation back. Switched over to 914world during the buy out drama of the club. Until recently had a work relocation, realized the 74 never got finished and never will. Sold it instead of dragging it to yet another move. I moved three times and the 74 would come and go on the AAA chariot. I still have the 71 I purchased a few years back to keep the dream alive. I don't know why I just cant shake this disease that makes me come back to this place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

One of my early cars was a Mazda Capella (RX2) Rotary - LOVED that car
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 12 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #71

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Like some (many?) of you I've been around a while.

I got interested in these cars after looking at 944s. I had been working restoring old British armored cars from WWII. Which lead to Kublewagons. Which led to an interest in aircooled VWs, which lead to Porsches. When I found a Porsche that shared an engine with VWs and looked better then a Kharman Ghia, I knew I wanted one.

This year will be 15 years for me on Club/World.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 12 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #72

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I cannot believe how many 914s that I have purchased since coming on board and the ones tha I have sold. Rough count, over 100.
The 914 get togethers in California we’re always a blast to attend, and there were those in Washington, always a great time. Plus Joe and his Tequila wagon.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Feb 12 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 12 2018, 06:35 PM) *

Like some (many?) of you I've been around a while.

I got interested in these cars after looking at 944s. I had been working restoring old British armored cars from WWII. Which lead to Kublewagons. Which led to an interest in aircooled VWs, which lead to Porsches. When I found a Porsche that shared an engine with VWs and looked better then a Kharman Ghia, I knew I wanted one.

This year will be 15 years for me on Club/World.

And THAT is a spectacularly backwards route to 914 ownership.

Well done, sir.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Feb 12 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #74

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

This Aug is 10 years for me. I bought it in ‘93, a couple was selling 2 inherited Porsche’s to fund a startup. There was a petrol blue SC targa selling for $6k and an asphalt grey 914 for $1500. I listened to the hype, got scared that the 911 was going to cost too much to maintain, so I bought the 914. I swear I’ve spent sooo much more to date in this car than I would have the 911...LOL.

Although, I now have a 3.0 from an SC slowly being rebuilt to go in the 914... I suppose it’ll be the best of both worlds!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Feb 12 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #75

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Reminiscing? 70s Porsche owners?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

I was thinking at first, I haven't been here that long ... then I added it up. Ohhh kay then ... 11.5 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yeah, so, I came into 914s via their older siblings, the last evolution of the 924 design ... that would be the 968 that I bought in 2006 with help from Joe O'Brien (Series9) and John Peterson (who drove us up from Las Vegas to southwestern Utah to get it!). I loved that 968, even though it was under-powered (somewhat) for its size - the N/A 3L inline 4-cylinder had 260 hp at sea level and plenty of torque - the car really was perfectly balanced and communicative on the corners. Just not a quick car, so ...

Back to 914s in a minute here. I took my 968 to the 2007 RRC with a keg of Turtle Mountain brew on my front seat from Rio Rancho to Moab (pretty sure I violated some laws somewhere). The keg was my price for entry without having a 914, though I always thought it should have been the 911 that brought the beer. At RRC '07, I met a ton of you western crazy ass 914 owners! Ferg was the one who flagged me into a parking space waaaay down away from the 914s, and the first people to give me shit (I mean, greet me) were Andy, Ron, and Howard. Of course.

So naturally I had to buy a 914. This I accomplished less than a year later. A '73 California car was purchased off evilbay near my Grandma's house, like wow it was in The Valley dude, then driven down to Huntington Beach to have fuel lines replaced, almost setting us all on fire at Joe Sharp's place where I met THOMAS (and Jim Hoyland I'm pretty sure) for a BBQ and finding out that Joe and my Uncle actually knew each other when they worked for LA County (over 10 million people and boom, I'm connected to two that know each other outside of my own connection, go figure), then limping back to New Mexico on a straight-shot all day (and almost all-night) marathon and heat-soaked drive with a 2.0L bus motor running on three cylinders (it wouldn't run on all four cylinders until it ate itself a few years later), then going all the way to the other coast in Florida to be reborn as another one of Joe (Series9)'s RS builds, and finally back to New Mexico where it lives a semi-retired life for various reasons that have less to do with the car and more to do with its owner.

I'm forgetting a lot ... more Rt66s and RRCs, a WCC in there somewhere, the one and only Atomic Ramble, the Tropical Ramble I, and various odd trips from the AZ crew out here to NM when O'Brien was building their cars out of his (now my) home's garage. Memories! I still have a small shed out back that holds various VoPo parts, though probably more Vo than Po. Oh, and I know where Erc Shea lives - visited him once before he got famous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yeah. Whew. I guess it has been a while and it has been a journey. I'm not sure what will be next for this car, but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that something will be next. I'd just like to get the shift linkage working this year, and maybe find time to take a drive somewhere. Events are hard for me to get to, but maybe some day I'll just go down to AZ and bump into old friends there. Kinda miss you weirdos. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I still can't believe I've been around here that long. Not as long as many, true, but still - long enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 13 2018, 08:38 AM
Post #76

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

OK, I'm not exactly a Russian troll.

My dad bought my car when I was 6 over 40 years ago. I drove it at 16 while I could keep it running. It sat from then until I rescued it from the ranch before we sold it.

I brought it home in 1997 but didn't know anything about cars. It followed me to Campbell in 1999 (the Bowlsby mansion) where I started buying other cars to learn. We built our first race car (the gray car) and I bought a 993. Graduate school and kids got in the way, but today my Dad's car is fully restored thanks to SO MANY people here. Drove it last Sunday.

It is my first Porsche, and sits next to my 12th. I only plan one more.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 13 2018, 08:50 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 12 2018, 05:15 PM) *

Since we are reminiscing...

Best post ever where is redshift....we need him
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 13 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #78

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

He's in a van, down by the river. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) you HAD to be there/here. Mega thread in the sandbox. Those were fun times. I accidentally clicked on Seanery's blog yesterday (fuching tablet) and saw he had recently been lurking. Hi Sean! Say howdy next time.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 13 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #79

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There was the high desert suspension ear repair in the parking lot at the motel, after the big day at Willow Springs?
Then the Black Bear diner late night stop.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 13 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #80

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) the welder was bought at the local Home Depot. After the repair was completed the welder was returned to the store. Lancaster Inn? the rave in Z.' room and security showed up at 1am. Crazy....
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:01 AM