Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Would you remove the windshield to replace the dash and dash cap?
post Feb 9 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Michael in Seattle

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry if you saw this same question on another thread. I either missed the answer, or people have been reluctant to answer.

I've got to replace the dash metal (vinyl, etc.) and would kinda like to do the dash cap at the same time. Mine is a 1970 that doesn't have the vent holes on the sides that people use for access. I understand it's much easier with the windshield out, but if your windshield is OK, would you remove it just to do this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
914werke
post Feb 9 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Don't know anyone on here that could be called "reluctant"
but DO NOT REMOVE THE GLASS unless you planned on replacing it anyway.
There is a better than 50% chance you will crack it.
Every thing you are contemplating is do-able with glass in place, its just as you say, easier w/ it out
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 9 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

No, and I've had the dash frame in and out a few time with my conversion. It will come out again when I do upholstery. It's not hard, just a process.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Feb 9 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

You do not need to remove the windshield. I just removed the dash top from my ‘72 and accessed most of the nuts from the underside except for the ones behind the instruments. Removing the glass would open up access to the top of the dashboard and there is not anything up there to remove when removing the dash. Unless there is something peculiar to the early cars that I’m not aware of.
+Quote Post
post Feb 10 2018, 02:47 AM
Post #5

Michael in Seattle

Cool. Thank you all for the advice. I know dash top cracks are normal, but I'm looking forward to not having them anymore.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Feb 10 2018, 08:03 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

So you already have the answer, but Chris914 was not being honest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) it is PITA...I described the job to one of the shops I use as wanting to cry ....and he said " oh you changed the dash" ...plan on gnashing of teeth and pain as you work this one through unless the have small hands...There is a Brad Mayeur video on here somewhere showing the process you should play but recognize where he is doing it and the contortionist you will need to be to do it.
Here is my suggestion....Have a comprehensive set of 1/4 drive ratchet/extensions and an LED light to strap to your head. I also pull the seats out for space.

Lastly I am curious---- did you get your 70 dash pad repaired/ refurbished as I have one I need and cant find anyone to do it correctly.
Good luck and just like the doctor at prostate exam time, I hope you have small hands! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

quote name='98101' date='Feb 10 2018, 12:47 AM' post='2577294']
Cool. Thank you all for the advice. I know dash top cracks are normal, but I'm looking forward to not having them anymore.
[/quote]
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Feb 10 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #7

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Feb 10 2018, 06:03 AM) *

So you already have the answer, but Chris914 was not being honest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) it is PITA...I described the job to one of the shops I use as wanting to cry ....and he said " oh you changed the dash" ...plan on gnashing of teeth and pain as you work this one through unless the have small hands...There is a Brad Mayeur video on here somewhere showing the process you should play but recognize where he is doing it and the contortionist you will need to be to do it.
Here is my suggestion....Have a comprehensive set of 1/4 drive ratchet/extensions and an LED light to strap to your head. I also pull the seats out for space.

Lastly I am curious---- did you get your 70 dash pad repaired/ refurbished as I have one I need and cant find anyone to do it correctly.
Good luck and just like the doctor at prostate exam time, I hope you have small hands! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

OK. Thanks for the warning!

I don't have small hands, don't have good coordination, good tools, and not much experience with this. I think I'd be in over my head doing this. On Monday I have an appointment with a local shop that was restoring another 914 when I toured.

I'll probably order new dash metal and vinyl from 914Rubber because my current dash has gauges in the spot the heater controls will be returning to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:17 PM