Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> race seat install, Looking to install a race seat
dh_berman
post Feb 11 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,305
Region Association: None

I have a 914 race car. I bought it with a kirkey seat installed on the stock sliders. The previous driver was large and had the seat all the way back against the firewall. I'm short and need to move the seat up quite a ways.

I would like to install something more substantial than the stock sliders. I have a carbon fiber OMP seat and a set of recaro double locking sliders with side mounts. I've seen some 914s where they have cut out the floor stiffener and bolted directly to the floor pan. Can anyone offer pros and cons of doing this? If I do cut out the stiffener do I need to reinforce the floor or build a frame to which I can bolt the sliders?

Any suggestions or insights are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dh_berman
post Feb 13 2018, 05:33 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,305
Region Association: None

Naro914,

I'm 5'5 so the seat has to be pretty far forward. The middle of the seat rail would sit on that cross member and the rest of the seat is floating in air. It also makes the seat quite high in the front. It seems easier and safer to remove the cross member and bolt it directly to the pan.

Can you tell me about the 1/8 plate across the floor to stiffen? Was that just in the area where you removed the cross member or did you make a solid plate the full size of the seat. I was also thinking of just building a simple rectangular frame - 4 pieces of steel maybe 2 inches wide and bolting the seat through that and the floor pan.

Anyone have any pictures of what they have done?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 AM