Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My High Amp Alternator, how I did it, and you can too
malcolm2
post Feb 23 2018, 02:06 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 23 2018, 10:14 AM) *

Clark can you post the source for the boot?

I bought this one from aircooled.net $20
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Alternator-Ai...022-903-655.htm

022 903 655 part number I got from this thread on the samba. I googled the part #
and got several vendors
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...ight=alternator

VW made a few different ones. This one is for a BUS. The part that attaches to the fan housing is larger than the fan housing hole for the 914. Not sure if the bus fan housing is exactly like ours. But this elbow does not fit perfectly. The end that goes on the built in tube of the alternator fits perfectly. I don't know if the 914 elbow will fit the built in alt tube. I am going to have to remove my elbow and check.

Samba photo shows the differences. Funny thing is my car is a 75 and the fan housing I have on my bench is a 71. So I may be dealing with 2 different animals.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 23 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 23 2018, 10:14 AM) *

As far as the fan goes, I don't think you need one if you have the boot hooked up. With the boot air will be circulated out the front of the alternator by the impeller. The amount of additional cooling provided by a fan on the front is likely non existent.

Also I have found a few of the 7771150 Alternators out there.

FAN: That is what the Samba guys have been doing, just leaving the fan off. You have to wonder why the VW engineers included it in the '79 70amp alt. I assume they were expecting extra heat from all the camping accessories and heater fans.... which the 914 does not have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I think I mentioned that I found some fans that slide on the shaft with the existing key. Your link shows a photo of just that. Maybe GM models for about $15, so it might be simple to attempt to install and get a bit more cooling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

The 7771150 is the Mechman one that I really wanted to try. McMark used it. With 7" hole-to-hole dimension, it should bolt right into the 914's brackets. And IIRC the Over all diameter is smaller than our Bosch Alt. But it is now discontinued. I found a few are remaining out there. But they are $250-ish.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 25 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

I ended up putting this project on hold.

The Alternator arrived damaged by UPS. I rotate the shaft and there is a sticking place 1/2 way around. Huge hole in the inner and outer boxes where the shaft poked thru in transit.

I called CarID and they said keep it, we will send you a new one. 2 days later they say they are on back order and it will be at least 30 days. I checked around and several other vendors are out of stock. This might be the end of the Remy 70 VW alternator.

So I installed my spare 50amp cause I want to drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) So 50 amp mounted, new belt adjusted, tins and exhaust re-installed, test drive complete. 13.3 volts at idle with the lights, hazards, radio, wipers on. 13.9 at 3000 rpms.

Going for a Sunday drive. I will pick this back up in April, I guess.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 25 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #24

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I think Mark said in his initial post, but I’m not sure.
Can I take my stock alternator to a rebuilder and have them make it higher amp in the same body? With a built in VR?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 26 2018, 10:27 AM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

You can have it rewound to higher amperage, but there's a limit and you need to find an alternator shop that can rewind the armature (amps are increased by changing the number of turns, and more turns take thinner wire to fit in the same space). But you can't have an internal VR added.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 26 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #26

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

wondering about the cooling boot - I got a new one from a vendor, correct part number but the part that goes into my fan housing it loose, the fan housing hole is too big - which boot did you end up getting that fit correctly?
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 26 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

My car is a 75. The test fit fan i am using might be a 71. I bought the boot that samba or ratwell said would fit. Turns out the housing hole might be smaller on my test housing cause that boot squeezed in but did not seat. I could not get the spring in.

I did not want to remove and measure the boot from my car. I was afraid it would be hell to get back in with the spring and all.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:27 PM