Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RockAuto.com and Standard Motor Products, Ignition Conversion Kits
914sgofast2
post Feb 12 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

I just bought an Ignition Conversion Kit for my 1970 Porsche 914 from RockAuto.com because the old Pertronix unit had failed. Not wanting to buy another Pertronix unit, I found a kit supposedly made by Standard Motor Products [ignition conversion kit #LX-811] on RockAuto.com for $173.75. When I got it, I discovered that it was just a Pertronix kit that had been re-boxed by Standard Motor Products and was being sold at an elevated price. The exact same Pertronix kit can be bought from FCPEuro for $110.89 (with a lifetime warranty), from AutoHausAS.com for $11.24, and from PelicanParts.com for $117.75. Be carefull when buying from RockAuto and Standrd Motor Products. This was very disappointing. I have bought many parts from ROckAuto in the past for my Porsche 914 and other vehicles, and have always thought it was being sold for a reasonable price. But this time I feel like I was ripped-off big time by RockAuto for $50 to $60.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 12 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

RockAuto screwed me on some injectors that where supposed to to 914 2.0 injectors. They turned out to be Standard Products too. They would NOT take them back because the CATALOGUE said they were correct.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 12 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,019

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 12 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

get the hot spark module - or by one of my distributors I have in F/S section both have brand new never run HotSPark modules. My current module is still going strong after almost 8 years.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Feb 12 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 12 2018, 02:09 PM) *

get the hot spark module - or by one of my distributors I have in F/S section both have brand new never run HotSPark modules. My current module is still going strong after almost 8 years.

Sorry for the hijack
The Pertronix unit had a problem of burning up if the ignition was left on without the car running. Does your units still have this issue?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 12 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've returned stuff to RA, just had to pay shipping of 5-7$, and a bunch mouse clicks.

RA buys a lot of their parts outside normal distribution, thus the really cheap prices sometimes. There could be mistakes involved.

For me, they replaced a window regulator that had been dropped and broke the plastic elbow, with expedited shipping.
They covered the warranty on a fuel pump gone bad.
I actually a day away from placing another order for some stuff for the neighbors car. $30 shipped beats Autozones $130 for a basic motor mount.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 12 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 12 2018, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 12 2018, 02:09 PM) *

Sorry for the hijack
The Pertronix unit had a problem of burning up if the ignition was left on without the car running. Does your units still have this issue?

Hot Spark has been know to fail that way also.... don't know about the burning up part, but the module will stop working.

Check some of my posts about Hot Spark, search "hiccup". My HS also failed. It ran for over 20K miles, IIRC. I found out the HS does not want more than 13.7 volts running thru. I have now connected a ballast resistor. It has pulled my input voltage to the HS down to close to 13.7. I keep a spare module in the car for WHEN it does finally die.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 12 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 12 2018, 01:48 PM) *

RockAuto screwed me on some injectors that where supposed to to 914 2.0 injectors. They turned out to be Standard Products too. They would NOT take them back because the CATALOGUE said they were correct.

Does Rock Auto have a "review" section? I had an issue with The Bird. But they have a review on each item, so I reamed them about selling a part that they know does not work. Caveat Emptor.... It is my own fault. Some dude had the same problem more than a year ago and he also gave a bad review, wish I had read it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) Live and learn.

So don't buy a turn signal relay from The Bird. Get one from SPOKE. His works and is even cheaper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Feb 12 2018, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,984

Don't buy anything from rock auto (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Feb 12 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #10

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

The last company I worked for had SMP as the parent company. They do not make much themselves. Toured the dungeon in Long island where they make distributor caps. They make them different colors out of the same molds and call some of the premium caps and sell at a higher price. Not a fan.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 12 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #11

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

UGH! Search on Pertronix +Failure ....
read until your eyes bleed.
Yes that failure CAN occur if the key is left on AND the PU & trigger wheel happen to be in alignment.
OR you simply wire it backwards .....
Otherwise one of the most simple, RELIABLE and effective updates you can do to an otherwise stock car.
Installed on EVERY 914 ive owned (MANY!) Had only one ever fail, ............................. I WIRED IT BACKWARDS!
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Feb 13 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,984

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Feb 12 2018, 11:11 AM) *

I just bought an Ignition Conversion Kit for my 1970 Porsche 914 from RockAuto.com because the old Pertronix unit had failed. Not wanting to buy another Pertronix unit, I found a kit supposedly made by Standard Motor Products [ignition conversion kit #LX-811] on RockAuto.com for $173.75. When I got it, I discovered that it was just a Pertronix kit that had been re-boxed by Standard Motor Products and was being sold at an elevated price. The exact same Pertronix kit can be bought from FCPEuro for $110.89 (with a lifetime warranty), from AutoHausAS.com for $11.24, and from PelicanParts.com for $117.75. Be carefull when buying from RockAuto and Standrd Motor Products. This was very disappointing. I have bought many parts from ROckAuto in the past for my Porsche 914 and other vehicles, and have always thought it was being sold for a reasonable price. But this time I feel like I was ripped-off big time by RockAuto for $50 to $60.

What Petronix unit were you looking for the 1-2 or 3 their web site catalog is not real clear which type is best for us 1874v? About 65.00 bucks
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 14 2018, 07:13 AM
Post #13

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 12 2018, 11:52 PM) *

Yes that failure CAN occur if the key is left on AND the PU & trigger wheel happen to be in alignment.
Otherwise one of the most simple, RELIABLE and effective updates you can do to an otherwise stock car.
Installed on EVERY 914 ive owned (MANY!) Had only one ever fail, ............................. I WIRED IT BACKWARDS!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Never had a Pertronix fail in 10 years. Just don't leave the key on with engine not running. Similar issue can happen with standard points if the points are closed, key on and engine not running.
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 14 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #14

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 12 2018, 08:52 PM) *

You would think they would simply add a diode or something...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 14 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #15

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Does Rockauto stock parts? I was under the impression it is a 3rd party vendor. I bought a wheel thru them that did not match the picture on the site. Opened the box and it was not close. Calling RA I was asked why I bothered them. Turns out the wheel came out of a dismantler in Michigan. Big hassle began and calls not being returned. Contacted the CC co and they credited my account. Then people wanted to talk to me. I was not kind and told the outfit in MI if they wanted their wheel back they had to cover shipping. They balked. 'Fine. In 5 biz days I will set it off of my property and not be responsible for it. You'll be out the wheel and the money'. 2 days later FedEx knocked on my door.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Feb 14 2018, 05:17 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,855

My complaint was with RockAuto and Standard Motor Products selling a deceitful ignition kit as being actually made by STP, when in reality it was only a Pertronix kit re-boxed by STP with the price increased by $50 to $60 over what I could have bought a Pertronix kit for from a bunch of other vendors (like Pelican, FCPEuro and Autohaus AZ). I did not want to buy another Pertroinx kit, especialy at an exhorbitant price! I know that RockAuto is simply a drop shipper of autoparts being stocked by other parts jobbers/distributors, who have contracted to sell things on the RockAuto website. And no, I did not leave the ignition switched on which resulted in a burned out Pertronix ignition unit.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 14 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #17

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The moral of the story is stick with reputable vendors who know our cars. God only know what youll get, but at least it wasn't a brand U part.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 14 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #18

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Why would anyone buy a part for a 914 from rock auto?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 14 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 14 2018, 10:40 PM) *

Why would anyone buy a part for a 914 from rock auto?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) If all you are doing is buying on price, you aren't going to get a good buying experience all the time. There is no passion behind the sale, just dollars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Feb 15 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #20

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

After my Pertronix failed, I got a Compufire. At the time it was about half the cost and it has worked perfectly for years. In fact, this one Compufire is on it's 3rd engine.
$82 on JEGS...

(EDIT: HA! Just looked and Compufire is now owned by Pertronix... )
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:53 AM