Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> considering replacing the backpad with carpet?Update Completed wanted to share pics, backpad replace
davehg
post Feb 15 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,443
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 14 2018, 09:39 PM) *

I had that Perlon carpet piece from eBay on my yellow car. My floor carpet kit was from Appbiz also on eBay, EXCELLENT, by the way, proper German Perlon with double layered mats and very well made. The firewall Perlon was a bit cheaper, more of a "polyester" in look and feel. If you looked close, they didn't match.

I was going to have Autos International make me something....

+1 on appbiz carpet kit. I liked it much better than the 914world Perlon kit. Bob from Appbiz also sells bulk Perlon to match. His RS door panels for the 914 also rock.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 15 2018, 06:09 AM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(davehg @ Feb 15 2018, 01:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 14 2018, 09:39 PM) *

I had that Perlon carpet piece from eBay on my yellow car. My floor carpet kit was from Appbiz also on eBay, EXCELLENT, by the way, proper German Perlon with double layered mats and very well made. The firewall Perlon was a bit cheaper, more of a "polyester" in look and feel. If you looked close, they didn't match.

I was going to have Autos International make me something....

+1 on appbiz carpet kit. I liked it much better than the 914world Perlon kit. Bob from Appbiz also sells bulk Perlon to match. His RS door panels for the 914 also rock.

We buy a ton of 911 stuff from him. Very good products.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
deemsriddle
post Feb 15 2018, 03:44 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,717
Region Association: South East States

This is our progress today. I used padding on the firewall. I also used the Perlon kit from Ebay. It looks nice but fit left a bit to be desired. Not bad for the price.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
daytona
post Feb 21 2018, 06:54 AM
Post #24

daytona

Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

Hi deemsriddle,
I like what you are doing with the carpet. Got a couple of questions about the perlon carpet on the fire wall; did you glue it or are you using some other way to secure it like velcro? I ask Because I would like to install a perlon carpet also but my car has an engine access hatch. Also, is the perlon carpet on the firewall finished along the edges?
Thanks,
Bill.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 21 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(deemsriddle @ Feb 15 2018, 01:44 PM) *

This is our progress today. I used padding on the firewall. I also used the Perlon kit from Ebay. It looks nice but fit left a bit to be desired. Not bad for the price.

Looking at this kit myself.

Any reason you didn't remove the 4 tabs up by the window that the stock backpad hooks to?

Would you recommend the kit or just put something together yourself if doing it again?

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 21 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #26

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 21 2018, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(deemsriddle @ Feb 15 2018, 01:44 PM) *

This is our progress today. I used padding on the firewall. I also used the Perlon kit from Ebay. It looks nice but fit left a bit to be desired. Not bad for the price.

Looking at this kit myself.

Any reason you didn't remove the 4 tabs up by the window that the stock backpad hooks to?

Would you recommend the kit or just put something together yourself if doing it again?

I went to the upholstery store and bought carpet off the roll. Originally did it in one piece like a modern car but ended up cutting it down the center to access wires. Looks way cleaner than the hodgepodge of loose pieces. I think the carpet was 54" wide making it 2" wider then needed.

I haven't hung the carpet on the firewall yet, still thinking of a good method to secure it, plus I'd like to remove the hump when I go after the rust.

Perlon stretches and I think it looks better glued on the firewall than that 'fitted' kit does.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 21 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 14 2018, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 14 2018, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 07:38 AM) *

It’s what I plan to do on all of mine. I’m just waiting for 914rubber to make a kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

A kit would be awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Kit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Measure.
Go to local upholstery store.
Pick a color.
Ask for spray glue.
Pay for it.
Go home and install.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
true, one can do it and probably get a great result (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 14 2018, 02:03 PM) *

Have always thought it would be cool to do "dome lighting" on the targa bar pad—ideally something you wouldn't notice or that wouldn't be out of place while being "aimed" forward a bit.

I think you would notice it in the rear view mirror.
I like the idea of some led lights mounted under the dash, out of sight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I like the idea of under dash lighting .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 22 2018, 08:50 AM
Post #28

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Nice - That's what I may do to mine if/when it is returned to a more streetable config. I covered the minimal dash in perlon felt and it's a cool vintage look plus saves weight and doesn't reflect back into my eyes.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 22 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 22 2018, 06:50 AM) *

Nice - That's what I may do to mine if/when it is returned to a more streetable config. I covered the minimal dash in perlon felt and it's a cool vintage look plus saves weight and doesn't reflect back into my eyes.

I am still working on the dash pad ... mine is in bad shape and will be quite a bit of work to bring back to life.
Do you have any pics of the perlon you did ?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 22 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 22 2018, 11:50 AM) *

I am still working on the dash pad ... mine is in bad shape and will be quite a bit of work to bring back to life.

I was going to try a perlon cover on one of my cracked pads. Nothing to loose at this point.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 22 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2018, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 22 2018, 11:50 AM) *

I was going to try a perlon cover on one of my cracked pads. Nothing to lose at this point.

a matte finish on a dash would be awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Feb 22 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 19,325

Attached Image
Used Dynamat as the base, got the material from the upholstery shop, put a welding around the top, and glued it onto the dynamat. Not a great photo, but it looks great.
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Feb 23 2018, 07:10 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 19,140

It does look great!
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Feb 23 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 19,140

Ok, there is dynamat on the firewall, would I be better off putting the OEM pad over the dynamat and then applying the perlon to the pad? Or is that overkill? My thinking is that more is better and it might be a cleaner install? what do you think?
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Feb 23 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 19,325

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 23 2018, 06:50 AM) *

Ok, there is dynamat on the firewall, would I be better off putting the OEM pad over the dynamat and then applying the perlon to the pad? Or is that overkill? My thinking is that more is better and it might be a cleaner install? what do you think?

I think it is overkill. The other challenge I have is I am not using stock seats, I am 6’2’ so this created a lot more room.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 23 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #36

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 23 2018, 05:50 AM) *

The factory pad (or at least mine) has some odd protrusions that would need to be cut or smoothed out to look decent I think.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 23 2018, 09:00 AM
Post #37

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 22 2018, 08:50 AM) *

To clarify, my car no longer has a stock dash pad but it still has the metal dash frame. #becauseracecar The gauge 'binnacle' is cut out of one of those ABS dash pad covers. To give credit where due, Marco @ TLG (mr9146) helped significantly with execution/installation.

Old shot from 2014 - now data acq box gone (died) and using different shift knob and door panels -

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-21-1519398026.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 23 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #38

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 23 2018, 08:50 AM) *

The oem pad is very heavy. I would do the dynomat and then some foam if you want to smooth things out.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 23 2018, 10:18 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Feb 22 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Used Dynamat as the base, got the material from the upholstery shop, put a welding around the top, and glued it onto the dynamat. Not a great photo, but it looks great.

That looks awesome. Really like the way the way the covering follows the contours without any ripples ... top notch! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Does that firewall covering have any 'stretch' to it?

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 23 2018, 07:00 AM) *

To clarify, my car no longer has a stock dash pad but it still has the metal dash frame. #becauseracecar The gauge 'binnacle' is cut out of one of those ABS dash pad covers. To give credit where due, Marco @ TLG (mr9146) helped significantly with execution/installation.

Old shot from 2014 - now data acq box gone (died) and using different shift knob and door panels -
it looks very 'racey' ..... I am in the midst of finding a matte fabric or material that can widthstand UV for the area in front of the dash pad.

Thanks for posting pics of your dash!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 23 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I like this idea. Would give me another inch of seat travel without the seat squeeking on the back pad.

I don't even use my interior light, so no loss there.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:39 AM