Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '74 914 2.0L with only 5K miles....
Cal
post Feb 14 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

This should be interesting to follow early next month at the Gooding & Company auction at Amelia Island......'74 Porsche 914 2.0L with only 5,000 miles. It was part of the Brumos Collection since 2003. The estimated auction price is between $60 - $80K....without reserve. This might set a new mark for 914/4's.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1974-porsche-914-2-0/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 14 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

$100K+
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 14 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

And ill be there to watch it live. :-)

Zach
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

While it will be interesting to see what happens with this one, what it sells for, & where it goes to next ....

It's sad to see the Brumos Collection being sold off, & this sort of museum quality 914 disappear from the public eye as a known unmolested example that some CW Teener in 10-20+ years could've looked at for their restoration to original specs. .... i.e.: perhaps some of our kids or grandkids lose the example, if they still have our cars in hand.

While it doesn't seem like a big deal, I saw the glee of my wife when she saw a humble & similarly pristine & low mile `73 Honda Civic CVCC on display in the Museum of Transportation in Washington DC, just like her own little first car that she bought with her money (aside from her ex-spouse & parents' cars before that). She still brags about "her little car" in the museum to family & friends.

So this will be one less "glee maker" if it goes to private hands in this sale, which is sad for every kid or grown-up who could point to it in the Brumos Collection & say my ____ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) ____ used to have one of those & used to show it off at car shows where it won (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) &/or loved to scream around the twisties in it!

Just some food for thought!

JMHO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Feb 14 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I don't think i have ever seen a picture of a 914 with the front trunk drain tube intact outside of old factory photos from the 70s. Wish they had more pictures up, I would love to study this thing up close. I love that they havent even changed the ridiculous looking US ride height.

My guess is low-mid 60s but really hard to say given it may be the lowest mileage 914 in existence. Seen some crazy auction prices on old air cooled cars lately.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 14 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

would love to see some detailed shots of this car, of course the color is fabulous and will contribute to a higher sale price.

Years ago we had a PERFECT Zambezi green 914 with tan interior and as I remember about 23,000 miles on it, and sold it for 35,000. It is still in someones collection, so 60 thousand for this one is certainly a great price
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 14 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It needs flares and a 3.2
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 14 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Considering what that big bumper car went for last year, this should be REAL good. Imagine if it was a '73...
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 14 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #9

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 14 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Considering what that big bumper car went for last year, this should be REAL good. Imagine if it was a '73...

The prices for 76 super nice cars have gone way up after the big auction. After this auction 74 that had been higher than 76s will be even higher.

But a rising tide lifts all boats!

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 14 2018, 11:29 AM) *

It looks to have the "included" Appearance & Performance Groups of options - or mostly so - which the 73 2Ls had for most of the 73 MY, that makes them more desireable than the 74's - so the carry-over should be consistant.

That is .... if anyone else owns another 5K mile 73 or 74 .... same thing with that ultra-low mile 76 2L that sold so high last year. Unicorns!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #11

TMI....

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 10:49 AM) *

It needs flares and a 3.2

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 14 2018, 01:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 14 2018, 12:27 PM) *

I don't think i have ever seen a picture of a 914 with the front trunk drain tube intact outside of old factory photos from the 70s. Wish they had more pictures up, I would love to study this thing up close. I love that they havent even changed the ridiculous looking US ride height.

My guess is low-mid 60s but really hard to say given it may be the lowest mileage 914 in existence. Seen some crazy auction prices on old air cooled cars lately.

Auto Atlanta has the front drain hose. I bought one and put on my 914. Most people don’t know what it is. One person asked me if it was air conditioner drain.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 14 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #13

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

A fully optioned '74 2.0L should be equivalent to a '73 2.0L all else being equal. Perhaps more.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 14 2018, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 14 2018, 12:27 PM) *

Auto Atlanta has the front drain hose. I bought one and put on my 914. Most people don’t know what it is. One person asked me if it was air conditioner drain.

IIRC it's still made for & sold by Porsche, because it's also used as the drain for the headlight buckets of 911/912/912E - ergo they still support it.

PS - I think that AA, Stoddards, SMC, etc. sell the original Porsche part. 914Rubber has a good black silicone (?) repro - if you're not a CW &/or price sensitive.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 14 2018, 12:47 PM) *

A fully optioned '74 2.0L should be equivalent to a '73 2.0L all else being equal. Perhaps more.

That's what I was saying Jeff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS - Although I don't agree with "perhaps more" - unless it's an LE of course!
.... both 73 & 74 2.0s fully optioned & with the 91/95 HP GA engines should be equivalent.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 14 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #16

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

A ‘74 is one year newer and has newer refinements than a 73, especially a late 74 compared to an early 73. Admittedly subtle differences but could be meaningful to some.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Feb 14 2018, 02:27 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,510

A 1975 1.8L went for $90K+ last year, this will surpass that!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 14 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I have a buddy at the Gooding Company that puts all the high end cars on the lot, He just got into 914's and Im sure he'll be telling me about this one. I'll let you know what I find out.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 14 2018, 01:10 PM) *

A ‘74 is one year newer and has newer refinements than a 73, especially a late 74 compared to an early 73. Admittedly subtle differences but could be meaningful to some.

Jeff -

At this age for any classic & collectable car - a model year newer is meaningless in the value equation - far more important are condition, originality, equipment & option set, miles, model/sub-model desirability & scarcity, etc.

But more than just that - the 74s also went with cost saving changes, including changing the true leather wrapped steering wheels & shifter boots to leatherette, nicer looking aluminum door sill plates & carpet edge strips to black plastic ones, changed the glass to plastic gauge lenses, etc. - from 73 to 74 MY respectively on all, especially for the later models. Basically they "cheapened" the 74 cars in order to remain competitive in the USA.

As far as the -037 series EFI components in 73 MY going to 74 MY's -041 (??) series components - other than availability in 74-76 2L's - there was little or no differences nor improvements.

Ergo, the 73 are usually considered preferable over the 74's by most collectors - mostly due to the higher options in most 73 MY 2Ls, but also due to the above cost savings measures which Porsche instituted in the 74 MY, after they took over the VW-Porsche JV & full control over production.

Tjhat was primarily in response to the WG-DM inflation vs. the US Dollar at that time driving up the prices from early 1973 onward. So even in later 73 MY, they also decontented some 914 2L's & marketed them as "Sport" - such as Dave K's excellent example.

So I'll have to disagree with you on the 74 2L's being more valuable nor more desirable - even in later parts of the 74 MY production.

Again, the LE/CanAm 2Ls hold better value due to their limited numbers.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 14 2018, 02:39 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

Not that it much matters but, a '74 2.0L that came from the factory fully optioned is a rare animal....appearance package, chrome bumpers, alloy wheels, tinted glass, sway bars, etc. Most clients ordering a '74 2.0L typically didn't check off all the options boxes when placing the order because of the costs. A '73 2.0L pretty much came standard with most of these items.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:39 AM