Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '74 914 2.0L with only 5K miles....
gothspeed
post Mar 9 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 09:49 AM) *

It needs flares and a 3.2

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 9 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #62

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 9 2018, 12:55 PM) *

Meh, its cool and all, but I will never understand people that buy cars then never drive them. I get the whole "investment" thing, but back in 74 did someone really think this would be a big money maker? Yes it sold for $80K, but 44yrs later. Someone missed out all the joy of driving a great little sports car for all those years.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) life is too short
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 9 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #63

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Chances are previous owners of this car had other fun cars to drive while this one sat idle not being abused.

Crazy price, however I don't think it makes my '73 914 or thousands of other 914s still out worth a penny more.

Sure there will be some perfect examples that this sale might help with increased value, I just don't see it helping your average driver or beater 914 at all.

+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Mar 9 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #64

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2018, 12:42 AM) *

Chances are previous owners of this car had other fun cars to drive while this one sat idle not being abused.

Crazy price, however I don't think it makes my '73 914 or thousands of other 914s still out worth a penny more.

Sure there will be some perfect examples that this sale might help with increased value, I just don't see it helping your average driver or beater 914 at all.

This is one of the Brumos Porsche cars from their collection of greats.

A special car from a special ownership history..... at a very special auction:
Gooding at Amelia.

As Keith Martin reported:
"Special Event Pricing"

That quote is not meant to disparage a thing about this great car. 5,000 mile documented history. A zero rust 914. A 2.0 litre car and in a wonderful color combination of Zambezi and black. Performance and Special Appearance Group.

And the hammer fell at 85 plus commissions.

A car this great going to a discerning owner is a Win-Win for all.

Even for us owners of our "special to our eyes 914s".

And Tom, you sort of left out the BEST of the BEST '74 cars..... those early built examples with the carryover from '73- silver bullet dials and chrome squirters on the hood like my serial # 0089 has. Built in August of '73. ( Also with console and gauges, center pad, FUCHS, rear window defroster elements, tinted glass, and an extra set of 5 steel mags, and an extra set of brand new, never mounted Campagnolo magnesium alloys. ) I was fortunate to find this totally rust free Montana originated car in '94 with low miles, and it remains low miles today.

I wish the owner of the Zambezi car all the best in his new purchase and hope he frequents this forum and these pages often to keep us all apprised of his new love.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Mar 10 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Mar 10 2018, 12:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2018, 12:42 AM) *

This is one of the Brumos Porsche cars from their collection of greats.

A special car from a special ownership history..... at a very special auction:
Gooding at Amelia.

As Keith Martin reported:
"Special Event Pricing"

That quote is not meant to disparage a thing about this great car. 5,000 mile documented history. A zero rust 914. A 2.0 litre car and in a wonderful color combination of Zambezi and black. Performance and Special Appearance Group.

And the hammer fell at 85 plus commissions.

A car this great going to a discerning owner is a Win-Win for all.

Even for us owners of our "special to our eyes 914s".

And Tom, you sort of left out the BEST of the BEST '74 cars..... those early built examples with the carryover from '73- silver bullet dials and chrome squirters on the hood like my serial # 0089 has. Built in August of '73. ( Also with console and gauges, center pad, FUCHS, rear window defroster elements, tinted glass, and an extra set of 5 steel mags, and an extra set of brand new, never mounted Campagnolo magnesium alloys. ) I was fortunate to find this totally rust free Montana originated car in '94 with low miles, and it remains low miles today.

I wish the owner of the Zambezi car all the best in his new purchase and hope he frequents this forum and these pages often to keep us all apprised of his new love.

I agree.....
The car sold for $85K plus the 10% premium.....$93.5K.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 10 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Mileage, condition, ownership history, and sales stage all had something to do with this result—so it is indeed wrong to apply this result to all 914 prices.

However, it is absolutely right to discuss its impact on the perception of the 914-4 among collectors: The right 914-4 can be (and now has been, more than once) worth more than a nice Ferrari. While that's hard to get my head around, people want what they want—and those who can, will pay for it. This kind of shift usually happens with the best, low-mile cars, and this shows the yellow 1.8 was no fluke.

And then there's the 914-6.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 10 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #67

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 10 2018, 09:49 AM) *

Mileage, condition, ownership history, and sales stage all had something to do with this result—so it is indeed wrong to apply this result to all 914 prices.

However, it is absolutely right to discuss its impact on the perception of the 914-4 among collectors: The right 914-4 can be (and now has been, more than once) worth more than a nice Ferrari. While that's hard to get my head around, people want what they want—and those who can, will pay for it. This kind of shift usually happens with the best, low-mile cars, and this shows the yellow 1.8 was no fluke.

And then there's the 914-6.

Plus Pete,

These top end museum quality cars also push the top of the envelope upwards, pulling the real world lightly driven #1 Concours & #2 Excellent cars up with them, and the #3-5 ones follow - in large part due to that change in perception which you mention.

For a 1973 914-2.0, Hagerty is now showing top #1 Concours at $44,100, with the average value #3 Good at $15,300 - which are all strong increases over the past decade (see the chart at the link below, and clicking on "5 year" or "All" for the longer term trend).

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools...Porsche-914-2.0

And even NADA has caught on, showing a range of $20,700 - $42,500 for Low to High Retail, with an Average Retail of $28,800 - up significantly from how they undervalued 914s just 7-8 years ago (Hagerty may have influenced them to be more accurate).

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values

(You folks with other years & sub-models can use the links above to back-track and select your own 914.)

In the 914/4's case, it really started initially with the resurgence of the 356s, then a decade+ ago with the 1960's 911 SWBs and LWBs going ballistic, then folks looking for something Porsche not so stratospheric in price looking at the early-mid `70's 911's, and some focused on 914/6's which soon went to around $100K for driveable examples, and now they've rediscovered the 914/4's.

Also, there are a lot of the 911 owners who started with a 914/4, who still have good memories of their first Porsche, and who have gone-a-huntin' for a nice one to play in now. I know many of our Zone 8 members fall into this category, and they then spread the word to others in the process.

However, the end result in a few years may be to ultimately price out some of the younger folks, 914 daily drivers, and others who have been able to buy into a 914 at a reasonable price, perhaps put in some sweat equity, and have a fun car. I've already seen some moving to the 924/944 and early 986 Boxters as an affordable Porsche option in recent years, as their prices have bottomed out into sub-$10,000.

While the current strong appreciation is good for current owners - especially those of us who need to or have spent a bunch of money to bring our old gals back, it's likewise sad to see it happen to our 914s and cutting out new owners of modest means.

An important message with this high sale and the upward trend in 914 prices for current owners, is to keep your 914s adequately insured, keep records of all work, parts, etc., and have your 914 reappraised every year or two in order to document its condition and value before it gets crunched and unrecognizable.

Thanx for chiming in here Pete!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 11 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #68

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

"This inflated Porsche value madness has to end!"

https://jalopnik.com/this-four-cylinder-por...-000-1823683586

"This surprised many in the community, and will surely have traditionally frugal 914 owners thinking their heaps are worth their own weight in gold. One of the last truly affordable aircooled Porsches is about to get out of control, mark my words. This is how speculation bubbles are wrought."
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 11 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #69

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I find it interesting that these two top value cars had exactly the same sales price $93,500. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 11 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #70

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(MarkV @ Mar 11 2018, 12:21 PM) *

"This inflated Porsche value madness has to end!"

https://jalopnik.com/this-four-cylinder-por...-000-1823683586

"This surprised many in the community, and will surely have traditionally frugal 914 owners thinking their heaps are worth their own weight in gold. One of the last truly affordable aircooled Porsches is about to get out of control, mark my words. This is how speculation bubbles are wrought."

Writer needs to talk to real 914 owners or see this thread. Nobody is speculating that our heaps are worth real big dollar money now due to this or the other mega-dollar sale.

Has he written negatively about the $200K to $350K early 911 builds that are so popular or is he content on kissing @ss in those circles? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I know my car will go up in value a little each year. Every year we lose a few 914s to rust, wrecks or being squirreled away in a garage or museum to not be seen in decades.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:23 AM