Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommendations on fresh paint protection?, seeking tribal knowledge
mountainroads
post Feb 16 2018, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A friend and fellow Porschephile suggested I seriously consider some protection for my freshly painted car. I'm not a huge fan of film or wraps, although I understand the appeal. We took a look at a car at Spokane Parade that used the following protection method: ceramicpro.com I have to say I was impressed after talking to the car owner. Pricey, but my friend pointed out that it was cheaper than another quality paint job.

Anyone have experience with this product or similar technologies? Pros, cons, alternate suggestions? TIA

- MR

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Feb 16 2018, 07:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

I've had the 3M paint protection film on the front of several of my cars; it does a great job of protecting against rock chips.
but if you are looking to protect the entire car, then maybe the ceramic coating is the way to go
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 16 2018, 07:38 AM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Coincidentally there is an active thread on Rennlist right now on this topic.

In hindsight after many small nicks/chips on the hoods of both of my current p-cars, I sure wish I (or the PO) had done it! I don't think I would do the entire car, just the leading surfaces, particularly the hood and front fender areas. If/when I get a newer car with pristine paint, I may go this route or at least the ceramic coat. My 911 already had a few nicks when I bought it, so I didn't do that one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum...ell-or-not.html
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 16 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I have had a clear-bra on my cars since 2005. She have looked better than others. Installer skill is key. I no longer get the 1/2 hood done. Now I have them wrap the entire hood and do the full front fenders, mirror backs, head and fog lights, door edges, door handle cups (women with nails protection), and sometimes a bit more, depending upon the particular car. Yes when you get up close you can tell it is clear-bra'd- but it keeps the car looking terrific all of the time and seriously reduces the chance of paint damage.

On my 914-6, once done, I don't know what we will do. I really don't know anything about a ceramic coating so I need to figure that out. But at the bare minimum the whole hood gets wrapped.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Feb 16 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

Here's where US and European car owners take their own route. No way that a European Porsche (or every car for that matter) would be covered by something like a clear bra.

Non-visible layers (fluids applied to the paint) are common among people who own an expensive car, but nothing visible like a stick-on coating or worse: an ugly black cover on the front.

M.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 16 2018, 12:43 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Well before you apply anything wait at least 30 days for the pain to be fully cured. I like the clear bra as it can easily be replaced. Think sacrificial coating.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 16 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The new XPEL coating is very cool, it's self healing when heat is applied (either parking in sun or heat-gun) to get scratches in the coating.
Be sure to do a paint correction and sealant before putting it on, so it looks tip-top.

I may be in the minority here, but I always think of 'ceramic' coating as a high priced paint sealant.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 16 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for all the constructive feedback, guys. I heard the same thing about letting the paint cure. Paint was done about a year ago, so that's not an issue.

- MR
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:45 PM