Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Twin plug /4, ROI?
914work
post Feb 19 2018, 01:41 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,762
Region Association: None

So perhaps Im incorrect, but I get the sense that many think this mod is a waste of time? OR is it that what might be gained doesn't justify the cost?
So anyone who has BTDT willing to offer what EMW, Len (when he was willing to do this work) or FAT charged to twin plug a set of heads ?
A related but important question is, along with simply drilling for the plugs, was that the extent of the service? Or is there always a degree of unshrouding /porting that makes the application viable?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 19 2018, 03:52 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Not worth it IMHO, only good place to put the plugs will need modified exhaust stubs.
Spent the coin on good 2.0 head work, stroker crank, rods and/or nickies. 2270 iron jug makes a nice street engine.
But then if it's a pro built engine you're quickly getting into /6 conversion cost territory.

I've done it on a few /6 engines now, different chamber, 4/6 chain box even has the cast rough-in to seal the plug. Lets you run a full point higher compression. Only worth doing with higher CR pistons, cams and carbs, MFI or PEFI.
Bring money.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 19 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Aero-VW airplane engines use the second plug as a redundant back up fail safe. Not for performance. They use a magneto for ignition.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 19 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #24

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

That chamber shape looks somewhat different than ours, too...

--DD
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 20 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #25

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 19 2018, 10:08 PM) *

That chamber shape looks somewhat different than ours, too...

--DD

Stock chamber...Type 1 heads (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
That method you run the plug through the valve cover.
+Quote Post
Bills914-4
post Feb 20 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,762
Region Association: South East States

Hello, I've been running a twinplug 2.8-4 for a few years now, it was a process to
put together , I went from 48 dell carbs & unilite distributor @ 9-1 c.r. & smaller cam, to
MS2extra (megasquirt2extra) with sequential injection & ignition 11-1 c.r. & bigger cam
(320* dur. ) with twinplugs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , I've never dyno'ed this motor so I don't know if it makes
more HP , I kinda doubt it , it does give me more torque , which really helps my bottomend with the cam I run,
it runs COOLER , uses less timing ,no more pinging, single plug version I used to run as much as 32* timing =
heat & pinging, I even tried W.I.
(water injection) to much hassle not worth the return, so next option was twinplug (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ,
Bill D.

sorry I never finished this thread,
Bill's 2.8 -4 Twin Plug Thread, 48x38 twin plug conversion
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...225696&st=0

comment by jake ;
What you'll find with twin plugs isn't so much more WOT power on the dyno and bigger numbers, but
mostly insane throttle response and unreal torque gains below 4K RPM, especially with the larger bore size
that needs all the help with flame propagation that it can get.

+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 20 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Aha, great to hear from some one that’s been there done that. Thanks Bill.

The comments are right in line with what you see in the aircraft world where your engine is fairly well instrumented - a CHT and an EGT on each cylinder and the ability to turn one set of plugs on or off. Twin plugging enables less advanced timing while still getting complete burn, less advance means lower combustion peak pressures, lower peak pressures mean lower CHT’s and more torque ( the piston is not fighting an early combustion event while still traveling up towards TDC) and there is better combustion even in the shorter time available because of the two flame fronts.

How much better will certainly depend on lots of variables, but the more compression and the bigger the chamber the more advantage to be gained.

Worth it on a small, low compression four?? Dunno but More worth it on a bigger high compression motor, just as Bill found out.

BTW, awesome build thread linked and very informative info from Jake, that guy knows his shit! Miss him around here
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 20 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

Twin plugs allows the mixture to burn quicker which must be accompanied by timing retard (closer to TDC). Twin plug also permits higher compression ratio. Higher compression can equal more HP.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 01:20 PM