Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 928 guys,help, looking to buy one
ablose58
post Jun 2 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #1

rust never sleeps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,422

Well after deliberating for a while I have decided to add a 928 to my ownership ,probably an earlier model, say 1979-1986, so what should I be looking out for as far as idiosynchrasies-problem areas etc. etc. thanks for any input (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) AL PS it is not in stone yet>
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 2 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 506

928's are cool cars. Only sports car to ever be Car of the year, and all that other stuff.

I think you want a 1983 + if I remember right. It seems like they had around 300 horse that year, up from the 250 the previous years? . Also you want to get a 5 speed, but, if you can't find a 5 speed, I understand the automatic is very capable.

Ohh and a good radar detector. I understand they are smooth, and you can easily go much faster than you thought you were.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 2 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Al, I have owned five of 'em. First was an 84 S in about 1990. Great car but I lost may ass in depreciation. Bought a '78 5 speed, one owner in '97. Sold it after 2 years for what I paid. In 2000 I bought a super low mile (27K) '87 S4. Afraid to drive it too much cause I would again lose my ass in depreciation if it had normal miles. Break even sale in less than a year. Bought a low- mile 81 (67K) in 2001. Drove it as my every day car. Found a very low mile (44K) 84 last summer. Sold the '81 on Ebay at a modest loss. The '84 is my everyday car, year round. A true super car. Expensive repair but not a much more than most Porsches. Easy to do routine maintenace yourself. Poor gas mileage by modern standards (and prices), about 15 mpg on premium in everyday use. Primary caution: do not buy a project! Find a relatively low mile car with good maintenance records. Timing belt replacement every 45K is very important and costs about $1200 with water pump. I prefer the pre '85's because the engines are less complex and expensive to repair than the 32 valve version. I believe they are a real bargain in terms of what you get for your money.
Buy a good one!! ( I just saw a low mile (17K) '84 advertised for sale, maybe my 50K mile '84 will be on the market soon!)

edit: Ed's advice on an 83 or later is correct, but only if you get an automatic (which I like). In 83 it became a 4 speed rather than 3.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jun 2 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I also have a 928 as my daily driver (until snow hits) and they are wonderful cars. Most are automatics and the 83 and up are 4 speeds...which you definitely want. If you stay with the US version 16V cars (early 86 and older) they are non-interference engines...thus if the timing belt breaks you are not going to have internal engine carnage like the 32V cars and the 16V euro cars. Most of the body is aluminum so rust isn't something you see alot on with these cars. The only gotcha's is if you find one where somebody has already buggered up the wiring...lot's of wiring in these cars and that is one area you want in good shape!

Best thing you can do with these cars is drive them. On maintenance, I spend no more on this car then I do my other porsche's and this one I have no hesitation on getting in and driving for hundred's of miles. Oh, and when you do that you feel just as comfy when you get out of the car as if you took a 10 minute drive. Just understand that the speedo creeps up to high speeds very unknowingly!

When you take your first test drive it may seem slow from the start (the auto's)...don't worry about that is all auto 928's start out in 2nd gear from a dead start. If you stomp on the gas pedal (not recommended for the weak of heart) you'll feel a kick-down switch and that will force it into 1st (from a stop). If you drop it down into "2" at a dead stop it will also force itself into 1st...but then you have to shift it manually up and back down to get it into 2nd.

I just took mine on a trip from northern Indiana to Wisconsin and back...averaged about 80mph on the highway and got 20mpg.

You'll love it!

p.s. throw it into a corner quickly and you'll understand just how good that weissach rear axle setup and the 51/49 weight distribution is...handles like it is lighter then it is!
+Quote Post
9144guy
post Jun 2 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,672

we have one for sell at work, (mint) one of the nicest cars around. Go to WWW.RENNSPORTTULSA.COM go to the for sale section Tulsa,ok

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 2 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #6

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Jim, I like your taste in cars as well as your Boxster wheels on that beautiful silver 914.
Agree with everything you said.

My car is staying with me. The '84 with 17k miles has been sold.

Another problem area in my experience is AC. Can be very expensive to repair. We in the northwest can live without it except for a few days every summer.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jun 2 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Thanks Jim....the 911 Targa I had updated to a widebody with factory parts..love that wide stance! Good point on the air conditioning. When you look at 928's some models came with rear airconditioning (you'll know it by seeing air vents in the area between the two back seats where you'd normally see a glove box type unit). This setup is real expensive to have repaired due to all the plumbing going back there. Fortunately mine has the glove box console piece. You really don't need a model with that air conditioning unit in the back...never could figure out why they did that as the car isn't that big and the front air conditioner can freeze you out.

Also, you may notice alot of them will have cracks in the dash near the defroster vents and cracks on the instrument pod...don't worry as 928's are noted for cracking there. If you find one that doesn't...then don't let sun hit it alot by parking it outside..the cracks will come! In that case get one of those windshield shade shields and use it!
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jun 3 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #8

rust never sleeps

Thanks a bunch for all the input people (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) It is very moch appreciated (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) My search begins. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 3 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

If you end up not liking the car you can always........ (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/assimilate.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

BTW: did I tell you I (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) your car?
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 3 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #10

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Al, there is an older woman down here in Lakewood that has an 80 for sale. It is one of the cleanest early original 928's I have ever seen. You could ask Thomas and Mark about it. The car is beautiful. The woman that owns it doesnt drive it and it sits inside her garage. I think she is asking 8k for it but is negotiable. If you want, I can put you in touch with her. I didnt get any pictures of it while I was over there but the car is everything I said and more. It's perfect. If I had the money, it would be mine.
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jun 3 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #11

rust never sleeps

Scott, please get in touch with me about the car you described, pics info, etc. thanks a heap! AL
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jun 3 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #12

If you get one, best mod I did to mine was going to 17" rims and using GTS spec tire sizes. Made a huge difference in handling and no difference in ride comfort. I put 911 turbo twists on mine.....updates the look also!
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jun 3 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #13

Here is a pic with the 911 rims:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 4 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #14

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I had a 78 5 speed, owned it for 13 years. #347 so it was very early too. That car was a love hate relationship. I did all the wrenching on it. Nothing like spanking a new Mustang in a 25 year old car. 0-60 was nothin to brag about. But 60 to 100 well there was where the fun was.
Absolutely rock solid stable at speed. cruised best @ 80 MPH averaged 18 MPG CIS injection 2.75 : 1 rear gear (never touched a wrench to the motor. Just everything else around it. Lots of widgets and gizmos. If you are a perfectionist it will drive you crazy keeping all the stuff working. None of it is cheap.
86.5 model year has the S-4 brakes and 288 HP with older body style nd were a little lighter. 2.20 :1 rear gear. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) S-4 Which is 87 and up new body style very aero dynamic good for 171 MPH
Best of those would be an 89 GT (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif)
80-83 Euro made 300 HP ans 84-85 made 310. Torque was the same as U.S. vesions. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) Euro's are lighter. but most have been abused. fine a nice one expect to pay $$$$$

Would I own another one? Yea maybe if the right one came along. 95 GTS in Black or a 90 Club Sport RED or Blue. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jun 4 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #15

rust never sleeps

Thanks for the compliment on my car, Rick (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif) I am going to look at a 83 today, we will see if it works for me? AL (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jun 4 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #16

rust never sleeps

WEll I looked at that 83 , it has 143,000 mi. was a color change from met brn to blk. recent h20 pump, belts ,idlers,shocks,tie rods and balljoints, interior is gud with no tears in seats and no cracked dash. The only thing I noticed was a slight oil leak out of the pan area and electrically everything worked except the rear wiper wich is what I think the trans.,interior lights do not work in the auto mode dim , maybe a bad grd. was asking 5995 and chewed him down to 4500, also the front lower spoiler was broken, so is this worth it??????????????????????????????/ :worship:OH it seems like it is a 3 spd auto? mfg date was early 83.
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 4 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 506

I'd not worry about the miles. The engines are good to well into 200 K, people say.

(Even before then I've heard rumors of a 6.1 stroker you can build out of a 928 block that is suppose to be something awesome.)

I think one that runs well, with all the stuff working, for 4500 isn't a bad deal. Just looking around on the web, seem to be good.

+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jun 5 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #18

rust never sleeps

The only thing that wonders me is the oil leak, how hard is it to change out gaskets and seals down there, oh this car will be my new commuter car so kermit can have a long and much deserved rest so I can rebuild the motor.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jun 5 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #19

It may have seemed like a three speed. The 4-speed auto's start out in 2nd gear....so if you were counting you would only feel 3 shifts. To make sure...take it for another test drive and manually shift it. Put it into 2nd from a stop and take off...shift to 3rd and right back down to 2nd and it should go into 2nd...then upshift to 3rd and D to get the other gears. This is easier then flooring it from a stop and having it kick-down to 1st (well, not easier but less scary).
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Jun 5 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #20

rust never sleeps

I am going to drive it this week but the shifter indicator only shows 1, 2, d,or something like that. AL
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:55 AM