Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine quit/steering locked/key will not turn, engine quit, key will not turn
chris059
post Jun 2 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,329

Please help. I have a 74-2.0. Daily driver with no previous problems. While driving the engine started cutting out, small backfire and quit. Turned the key off and went to try to re-start it and the key would not turn. Nothing I could do could get the key to turn. My question is is the a problem with the ignition that caused the car to stop or something else. At this point I don't know where to start. Is there anything I could try to test to see what the problem might be? Has anyone else experienced this porblem
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 3 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I have never heard of this but it doesnt sound good. I will bump this back up for more exposure and see if anyone else knows. Sorry I couldnt help. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer this one. Good luck.

I would try pulling the ignition switch out of the column and turn it manually and see if it will start. If it does, then replace the switch. You say you couldnt turn it though, something doesnt sound right.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jun 3 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

Maybe there was a bad enough short in the switch that it melted something in the switch. Strange problem. Looks like the switch has to come out anyway. Maybe you can hot wire it to get it home, pull out the switch and see what happened. Let us know what you find.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
Pugbug
post Jun 3 2005, 06:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,604

Did you wiggle the steering wheel while turning the key?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 3 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Yeah...if the wiggle and turn trick don't work....it's time to start to disassemble the ignition lock and start poking around.

I had some issues ONCE only with my 70's switch....don't know about the later models but sourcing a replacement was a HUG PITA....ended up using a VW 411(squareback) switch.
+Quote Post
ChrisFix
post Jun 3 2005, 07:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,707

I have the electrical portion of the ignition switch from my '74 1.8 that has about 40K miles on it. I recently had the switch, steering wheel, etc. out to replace the washer hoses and replaced it with a new unit as a preventative measure, but the original looks perfect and never gave me any problems.

It's yours if you think it would help. Just let me know.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 3 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Got that smell of a melted ignition switch about it! Check the wiring under the dash, look at the wiring around the coil. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
chris059
post Jun 3 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,329

Thanks everyone for you comments. There was no smell of anything burning nor can i see anything melted. Nothing even smelled hot. Of course I had just got off the freeway and had been driving about 80. It was my thought that it might also be in the ignition but wasn't sure where to start. I also thought of trying to hot wire it to see fi it would start or turn over. The steering column is locked. I tried juggleing and even a second set of keys. No luck.
Does anyone know the best way to try to hot wire it?
Thanks again for everyones help.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 08:23 AM