Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn signals, emergency flashers not working
ORANGE2
post Feb 20 2018, 01:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 305
Region Association: Northstar Region

Im sorry if this is posted already but can't seem to find it. I have a 74 2.0. My front turn signals come on solid with the turn signal switch, but do not flash. The emergency flashers do not work at all. I checked and rechecked wire positioning on the emergency switch and even swapped switches. I purchased and installed a new flasher relay.. After I installed it they flashed a couple times and blew two fuses. I believe they are positions 8 and 10. If i put 12volts on the output side of position 10 on the fuse block the relay under the passenger seat clicks a few times and then trips my test probe. I've also checked and re checked light wiring at all 4 corners. Is there something else I should be looking for ? any help would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 20 2018, 05:47 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

According to the schematic of the '74 turnsignal system, the fuses should be 9 and 11. You mentioned 8 and 10; likely the same fuses.

It is likely the fuses did not blow at the same time as one powers the 4-way flasher when the key is off.

Did the fuse blow when you tried the right or left turnsignal?

Until you find the short, don't use the 4-ways as if the issue is the right or left side pulling the 4-way will not help isolate the issue.

Put the fuses in and with key on, try left, then right side.

Did you do any work on the car recently?

To find the short, inspect the wiring on each turnsignal on the front and rear corners.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ORANGE2
post Feb 25 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 20 2018, 03:47 AM) *

According to the schematic of the '74 turnsignal system, the fuses should be 9 and 11. You mentioned 8 and 10; likely the same fuses.

It is likely the fuses did not blow at the same time as one powers the 4-way flasher when the key is off.

Until you find the short, don't use the 4-ways as if the issue is the right or left side pulling the 4-way will not help isolate the issue.

To find the short, inspect the wiring on each turnsignal on the front and rear corners.

You were correct on fuses 9 and 11. The fuse on 9 blows as soon as I turn the key and the fuse on 11 doesn't blow until I turn the emergency flasher on. I will spend some more time this week as I do more troubleshooting. Thank you!
+Quote Post
ORANGE2
post Feb 25 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(ORANGE2 @ Feb 25 2018, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 20 2018, 03:47 AM) *

You were correct on fuses 9 and 11. The fuse on 9 blows as soon as I turn the key and the fuse on 11 doesn't blow until I turn the emergency flasher on. I will spend some more time this week as I do more troubleshooting. Thank you!

Also The car was stripped a long time ago for paint and finally getting it back on the road. It all worked perfectly before.
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Feb 25 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,388

Remove all bulbs that flash and do a continuity check to ground from the sockets in the flasher relay holder and the turn signal switch
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 25 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Does the fuse blow with right or left turnsignal? Chances are it's one of the sockets front or rear.

Good advice to remove bulbs on one side and check the button in the socket to ground.
+Quote Post
ORANGE2
post Mar 2 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Right now I have all lights unplugged and both fuses blow. Not at same time. One as soon as I turn on the key the other with the flasher switch. I’ve tried 3 different switches.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Mar 2 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #8

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

I would try to break down that wiring diagram and isolate sections of the circuit to eliminate or narrow down the section where the short is.
+Quote Post
tmc914
post Mar 2 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 21,452
Region Association: North East States

Because the fuse is blowing when you turn on the ignition and before you turn on any turn signals (fuse 9) then you can look for a short to ground BEFORE or at the turn signals or relay. This means the short is not at one of the lamp sockets. Kinda cuts the job in half.
The watch out is if there are more than one short. It is possible to fix one and then be fooled by the other.
+Quote Post
ORANGE2
post Mar 27 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #10

Finally found the issue the other day! Long story short,I found two problems. PO changed the ground wire to a black on one of the front turn signals and traced the wire from the flasher switch that was grounding out to the flasher relay. Purchased another one and all the lights started working like they should. Thanks for all the help!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:33 PM