Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 lug spare tire questions
Morrie
post Feb 21 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,198
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hi guys,

My car is a 76 with 4 lug Fuchs, including the 17mm lug bolts.

1. What size tire fits comfortably (flat) in the bottom of the frunk? The one I currently have is new but is too big to drop in.

2. What do you guys do to mitigate the long lug bolts on the fuchs when you have a steel wheel for a spare? I realize a fuch spare would be ideal, but mine is steel.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 21 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The original size for a 76 would be 165/80-15. There are a few cheap tires you can get in that size; I suggest using one of those as a spare would be fine.

Caveat: If you have tires that differ significantly in overall diameter from the 165/80s, you may need to look for a lower aspect ratio number (e.g., 165/70) so the overall diameter is close.

If you're worried about the lug bolts--and you might be right to be worried--then pick up a set of four of the short steel-wheel lug bolts. Keep 'em with the spare.

--DD
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 21 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lug bolts that are too long will screw right through the hub and hit the rotor. The proper short bolts should cost just a couple bucks.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 21 2018, 10:51 AM) *

The original size for a 76 would be 165/80-15. There are a few cheap tires you can get in that size; I suggest using one of those as a spare would be fine.

Caveat: If you have tires that differ significantly in overall diameter from the 165/80s, you may need to look for a lower aspect ratio number (e.g., 165/70) so the overall diameter is close.

If you're worried about the lug bolts--and you might be right to be worried--then pick up a set of four of the short steel-wheel lug bolts. Keep 'em with the spare.

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Morrie,

You also may be able to fins a decent 4-lug Fuchs 2L wheel FS on here, evil-bay, etc. for not too bad of a price to use as your spare. I've seen some single & 2 odd wheels listed lately.

Dave & Mark are correct - if you use the steel spare, then you'll need to also carry a set of the shorter lug bolts for the steel wheels. AFAIK they're stil available from Porsche (try Sunset Porsche OR or Suncoast Porsche FL for best price on Classic parts), as well as repro bolts around, but you'll need the proper acorn head - not conical.

I think Firestone/Bridgestone sells an affordable 165/80TR15 tire (HR was on 2.0's, but T speed rating is adequate, or even an SR for a spare), or else go with the Vredestein 165HR15 (/80) as a good all around street tire in the original size, which won't break the bank.

Just google for the 165/80R15 tires, then go from there.

PS - The 185/75R15 & 185/70R15 tires should also fit in the spare tire well, since they were commonly used back in the day, & a factory option - so I doubt that an 165/80R15 could be that much bigger. If your current spare is a 195/80R15 or something, then it may not fit, but then it may not fit in use on your 914 too without rubbing somehwere (unless your fenders are rolled, puller or flared).

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:36 AM