Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chasis Stiffening for street 914 GT question
rcarson25
post Feb 21 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,103
Region Association: South East States

So I may have messed up my order of operations here but my car is in paint and I am looking to figure out what chasis reinforcement would make sense for my car. The car is a metal flaired 1970 914-4. The motor is a 2056, the car will mostly be used for spirited driving on the street with 8” wide rears maybe an occasional autox. I have heard some stiffening just adds weight or is not necessary for a mild engine conversion like the 2056. I don’t want to waste money and add extra weight if not necessary.

Currently I am looking at the inner long kit from Maddox and Tangerine Heim rods from the firewall to rear suspension pickup.

I look forward to hearing suggestions from those with experience.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 21 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

The mods you suggest are the right ones for your application. Tons of posts about going slow when welding in the chassis stiffeners.
And as long as you're going to place an order with Tangerine, treat yourself to a set of Chris' door bar braces to use when installing those stiffeners.

Oh, and let me be the first:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
rcarson25
post Feb 21 2018, 03:46 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 21 2018, 03:22 PM) *

The mods you suggest are the right ones for your application. Tons of posts about going slow when welding in the chassis stiffeners.
And as long as you're going to place an order with Tangerine, treat yourself to a set of Chris' door bar braces to use when installing those stiffeners.

Oh, and let me be the first:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Pics will come when I get the car back and can start putting things together. Right now car is not with me but getting some paint issues cleaned up before I get busy on this project. Probably should have done stiffening before paint but is what it is.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 21 2018, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

I will be running a steel flared, aggressive street 914 with probably 8" rears, similar to what you are running with a 2056.

I am keeping the car light and using stock sway bars. If the chassis kits were thinner gauge, I would consider installing them but for now I simply repaired all sheet metal back to original design ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I do like the rear suspension console reinforcements to firewall/outer chassis though
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Feb 21 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 107

For a full race car ...YES

For a street car (occasional autox/DE) with a sound body conditon...NO
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 21 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Most people who install the inner long kit seem happy with the results.
I'm probably going to do tangerine racing's suspension console reinforcement because I have it, looks cool to me and couldn't hurt. The outer suspension consoles are a weak point on our cars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 21 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I have the inner long kit. It is noticeably stiffer, especially when you drive at an angle into a driveway.
The factory stiffening can be useful for cars which see a lot of track and autocross with race rubber and possibly DOT R tires. I have seen instances of the body ripping or cracking above the rear suspension mounts. This would be double thick with that kit.
What your describing is not a whole long way from stock.

Oh, BTW, isn’t that 2056 a great motor? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 22 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #8

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

I would say that in reality for a street car the Maddog inners are not even needed.

Tangerine's rear console re-enforcements would be my first and only thing.

I have a heavily modified 914 chassis in my EG build, Maddog inner, 914 LTD outers, Tangerine racing everything else, including the rear suspension 2" raise. Super stiff chassis. I can jack it up and lift three wheels with just 1/8" of deflection across the chassis. the 914 style roof should help get that last bit out of the equation. I ran DOT-R on this car. was planning on going to slicks for the next level.

For my fathers 914-6 I have the Maddog unit if I need it. But am thinking I will only install Chris's rear suspension stuff. Though I doubt it will be needed, then I have done my fair share of replacing rear inner suspension consoles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 22 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Its all relative to where your car has been before rust wise. For a 2056, you're not going to split the chassis going around corners, unless again, the car's in used up shape to begin with...
+Quote Post
rcarson25
post Feb 22 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Thanks for all the input. Overall the car is pretty solid. I will have a little pan work to do soon but not near as bad as most driver cars I see out there. I think I may still do the mad dog inners just to get the car a little tighter feel and additional piece of mind. I haven’t gotten to dive the car with the 2056 in it yet but I am sure it will put a smile on my face. I have only driven a 1.7 914 and I didn’t want to go too crazy on this car just looking for a unique driver.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Feb 22 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #11

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

So you say it’s “in paint”. Does that mean you’ll be adding these afterwards? NO, you dont need any of that with a solid car. If you want to stiffen for spirited driving or autocross, consider a bolt in gt style hoop (rear hoop and diagonal bars to longs) like Shea’s or the one mcmark was making. Minimal paint damage that’s covered by carpet.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 23 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Though it does change the look of the outer long, the stiffener kit that Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. put together does a great job of strengthening the area. It fits all the way from the rear suspension pickup points to the front of the long and I can really feel the difference between my conversion car (with his kit) and my stock 914-6. For a track car, a cage is best, but inappropriate for a street car.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 23 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 23 2018, 11:33 AM) *

Though it does change the look of the outer long, the stiffener kit that Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. put together does a great job of strengthening the area. It fits all the way from the rear suspension pickup points to the front of the long and I can really feel the difference between my conversion car (with his kit) and my stock 914-6. For a track car, a cage is best, but inappropriate for a street car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have the Brad Mayeur 914 LTD kit (and rear console kit) for my mostly street car. It really helped stiffen it up. Its cool too because you can jack it up anywhere on the side of the car. It's only draw back is the extra weight. I was encouraged to install it by Rich Johnson, he thought it was the best chassis stiffening kit out there.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 23 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

1970 914, with added stress = inner ear reinforcement #1
+Quote Post
larryM
post Feb 24 2018, 01:25 AM
Post #15

emoze

Member No.: 65

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 23 2018, 11:33 AM) *

the stiffener kit that Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. put together does a great job of strengthening the area. For a track car, a cage is best, but inappropriate for a street car.

the best, simplest thing you can do is buy an AutoPower 914 roll bar - it will make an amazing difference in the most basic 914 "flexy-flyer"

Yes - have had Mayeur kit on my car since i started racing it circa 1992 - i got it via Brad Roberts about the time he designed his own weld-on kit which others have copied,

- i just "pop-riveted" Mayeur's kit on, in case i wanted it off someday - (one must purchase an expensive hydraulic riveter & large rivets to accomplish that) - my car already had the factory reinforcements but i will say the Mayuer kit added more stiffness (along with some lbs)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:21 AM