Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Chasis Stiffening for street 914 GT question
rcarson25
post Feb 21 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,103
Region Association: South East States

So I may have messed up my order of operations here but my car is in paint and I am looking to figure out what chasis reinforcement would make sense for my car. The car is a metal flaired 1970 914-4. The motor is a 2056, the car will mostly be used for spirited driving on the street with 8” wide rears maybe an occasional autox. I have heard some stiffening just adds weight or is not necessary for a mild engine conversion like the 2056. I don’t want to waste money and add extra weight if not necessary.

Currently I am looking at the inner long kit from Maddox and Tangerine Heim rods from the firewall to rear suspension pickup.

I look forward to hearing suggestions from those with experience.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GeorgeRud
post Feb 23 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Though it does change the look of the outer long, the stiffener kit that Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. put together does a great job of strengthening the area. It fits all the way from the rear suspension pickup points to the front of the long and I can really feel the difference between my conversion car (with his kit) and my stock 914-6. For a track car, a cage is best, but inappropriate for a street car.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Feb 24 2018, 01:25 AM
Post #3

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 23 2018, 11:33 AM) *

the stiffener kit that Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. put together does a great job of strengthening the area. For a track car, a cage is best, but inappropriate for a street car.

the best, simplest thing you can do is buy an AutoPower 914 roll bar - it will make an amazing difference in the most basic 914 "flexy-flyer"

Yes - have had Mayeur kit on my car since i started racing it circa 1992 - i got it via Brad Roberts about the time he designed his own weld-on kit which others have copied,

- i just "pop-riveted" Mayeur's kit on, in case i wanted it off someday - (one must purchase an expensive hydraulic riveter & large rivets to accomplish that) - my car already had the factory reinforcements but i will say the Mayuer kit added more stiffness (along with some lbs)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 09:38 PM