Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Car magazine - NLA, another one bites the dust
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 22 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I just found out that European Car magazine is kaput.

Back in Nov. a friend gave me a subscription, and I had forgot about it. My wife was cleaning out a drawer and found the postcard from EC saying my friend gave me a years subscription, but I haven't seen a single issue.

I got on the publisher's website and went through the "contact us" link, and got a message that EC was no longer being published.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 22 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 22 2018, 06:57 AM) *

I just found out that European Car magazine is kaput.

Back in Nov. a friend gave me a subscription, and I had forgot about it. My wife was cleaning out a drawer and found the postcard from EC saying my friend gave me a years subscription, but I haven't seen a single issue.

I got on the publisher's website and went through the "contact us" link, and got a message that EC was no longer being published.

How sad.... I subscribed to it back in the 70's when it was Volkswagen greats and then it changed to VW & Porsche magazine. It started going down hill when it changed to European Car. A couple of years ago, I cancelled my subscription. I always liked the 914. The first VW & Porsche issue had an article called Type 4 power play. That article enticed me to build a 2.4 liter four banger. Then Marty from MSDS had an article a couple of years later in VW & Porsche in the early 80's called hidden power. That article enticed me to replace the big four with a six. I bought a cross bar motor mount, headers and a muffler from Marty back in the mid 80's, the rest is history.. Still have the car.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 22 2018, 10:05 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Perry & Steve -

It really P.O.'ed me when Hemmings ended their Sports & Exotics magazine too! It just seems that these publishers can't figure out how to navigate in both the print & digital world - especially for cars for the Boomer Generation!

I think that we'll see more of the car magazines which we all love, going away in coming years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Of course they did the same thing with AM/FM radio by seling &/or reformatting all of the Oldies stations! The killer there was the" death" of the mother of all Oldies KERTH - K-Earth in LA, think Wolfman Jack & many other classiic DJs since the 1960s-70s era of our 914s!

I mean really - what can you play on the air with your expensive period correct radio in your 914 now!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 22 2018, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yup, the old VW&Porsche Magazine. I subscribed through the 80s and 90s, and enjoyed watching the magazine evolve with me from Type 1s and 3s air-cooled, to water-cooled Rabbits, obtainable Audis, and such. Seemed like we had parallel journeys.

Then, like Steve, I tended to lose interest as time went on, simply because they started to focus on unobtainable exotics instead of the cars we can enjoy. prior issues piled up on the desk next to the bed, unread. I dropped my multi-decade subscription probably 3-4 years ago.

I still have old issues down in the basement somewhere, I'm sure I'd enjoy reading them again...if I had the time...
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 22 2018, 10:45 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

The good old days!!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 22 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

the old vw european car mag was one of the best back then for 914s We got the vast majority of our customers from it even though we advertised in excellence motor trend the panorama and road and track! We miss those days of mass catalog mailings We still have a good 210 page 914 catalog though!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 22 2018, 10:49 AM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 22 2018, 11:45 AM) *

The good old days!!
Attached Image

Loved that mag!
+Quote Post
theer
post Feb 22 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,014

Yup- I subscribed for years, years ago, then let it die when they stopped doing their own projects and went to covering mostly new cars. I still have the old editions where they did a 914 project.

I bought my first Audi S4 (the original 1992 model) based, in part, on an article they did on bargain used supercars. Loved that car.. so much so, in fact, I bought another (a 1995 S6, this time).
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 22 2018, 10:57 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yep, loved VW & Porsche but let my subscription lapse when it changed to European Cars and lost its focus on the stuff I was interested in (914s and to a lesser degree other VWs and Porsches). Great 914 content and almost every issue had something for me. That all changed when they broadened the focus. I imagine it is impossible to find a balance between a broad enough audience to make a magazine sustainable, yet focused enough to keep the audience's interest.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 22 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

The infamous 914 special
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Feb 22 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #11

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....Was 1 of my Fav's.......back then! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Feb 22 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,509

It is really unfortunate that so many of our classic reads
have been killed off by the internet..
Real Commercial Printing is dead and you
can access stuff by PDF...
The next generation embraces this..
the old one laments it..
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 22 2018, 12:23 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I remember when I first found VW & Porsche magazine, and then then I'd be MIA for 6 hrs whenever the new issue came out.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Feb 22 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 22 2018, 10:48 AM) *

the old vw european car mag was one of the best back then for 914s We got the vast majority of our customers from it even though we advertised in excellence motor trend the panorama and road and track! We miss those days of mass catalog mailings We still have a good 210 page 914 catalog though!

I still have a catalog you mailed me in 1991.

There's a 71 914-6 fully restored listed for $16,500. Where's that time machine when you want one...
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 22 2018, 12:51 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 22 2018, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 22 2018, 10:48 AM) *

I still have a catalog you mailed me in 1991.

There's a 71 914-6 fully restored listed for $16,500. Where's that time machine when you want one...

Yes, I’m a hoarder..
Attached Image
+Quote Post
db9146
post Feb 22 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,315

I had a subscription to European Car with a few issues left on it and they converted it to Automobile for the remainder of my issues.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Feb 22 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #17

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Gone but not forgotten. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 22 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #18

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 22 2018, 10:25 AM) *

The infamous 914 special
Attached Image

I remember when that issue came out, but at the time I was unfortunately dealing with raising a family & running my business, with no chance of getting a 2 seater 914 running again - so my poor 914 remained stored in my garage after being whacking in a parking structure just a couple of years 7 +/- 20K miles after a very expensive full rolling resto/rebuild - so there was nothing that I could "spend wisely" on my 914 back then!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

After the 914 was whacked in May `85, my soon to be wife said that "[I} have to spend the insurance money on a car with a back seat, because we're starting a family!" We were wed in August, she had a miscarriage in December, then our daughter in June `87, & son Feb `89 - so she was not kidding!

So I'd gotten our 85 BMW 325e in May 85 - & it did have a back seat, but close power-to-weight & handling to the 914 - so I cheated a bit!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Then back in `88 it was stilll registered Non-Op then, & I'd roll it out of the garage monthly to run the engine for 15-20 minutes, until 92 when I completely mothballed the motor.

At the time of that article hitting my mailbox in May `88, we had an 11 month old daughter, had just bought our `88 Westfalia in April, & money was tight!

And I think that I still have old AA 914 catalogs back to 76, 77 or 78 - as well as old Performance Products, & some other Porsche Indy Parts Houses which are NLA - packed in a box somewhere!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Feb 22 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My favorite mag back in the day. I dropped all my other subs for European Car. I remember my first issue featured the Ferrari from the Thomas Crown Affair.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/friends-ste...-report-photos/

It was painted red for the movie. Someone obtained it and returned it to factory spec in the mag. I immediately sent in my sub money. About 10 years later I dropped it. Nothing but $60K and up cars and builds. Nothing for an old Scirocco or Alfa owner anymore. I have since moved on to Classic Motorsports.

https://classicmotorsports.com/

More info I found on the Ferrari : A 275 GTB/4 N.A.R.T. Spyder version was only available from a single American dealer, Luigi Chinetti. He asked Sergio Scaglietti and Enzo Ferrari to build a few Spyder, a convertible with no roof, versions of the 275 GTB/4, which he bought for approximately $8,000 each; N.A.R.T. stood for Chinetti's North American Racing Team. It was to be a custom run of 25 cars straight from Scaglietti, but because of low sales, just 10 were built in 1967 and 1968, making this one of the most valuable Ferraris.[7] The ten NART Spiders used chassis numbers 09437, 09751, 10139, 10219, 10249, 10453, 10691, 10709, 10749, and 11057.[8]

In August 2013, a 1967 275GTB/4 (chassis #10709), owned by the late Eddie Smith of Lexington, North Carolina, sold for US$27.5 million at auction in California.[9] This was a one owner car that, while was not driven daily, was driven on a regular basis. It had remained in the Smith Family for 45 years.[9]

The NART driven by Faye Dunaway in the 1968 film The Thomas Crown Affair, was serial number 09437, the first produced. It came second in its class in the 1967 12 Hours of Sebring before being repainted and used for the movie. In August 2005, it fetched $3.96 million at auction.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 22 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I was an early subscriber...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:15 PM