Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 conversion, still can't shake temptation
chrisg
post Feb 23 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,455
Region Association: None

Probably typical story, but I've had my 914 for quite some time now. I haven't driven my 914 for quite some time now do to the pipe dream of restoring/freshening it up, and then way too much other crap getting on the way. But I'm really trying to make this the year I start the endeavor.

I keep coming back to being tempted into doing a V-8 conversion even after twice as many times of talking myself into leaving it a type 4.
Problem #1: I'm just not in love with the VW motor or the cost of having a stout one built.
Problem #2: I've never come across a thread post where a V-8 conversion owner is disappointed in having done it. They seem to always come to the same consensus that it is a reasonably painless swap, reliable, and very enjoyable end result.

Appeals: effortless torque, reliability, aural bliss (second only to an almighty -6), affordability

My thinking is that since I'm going to go through the whole car anyway (with a much desired 5 lug conversion) doing it to accommodate a (mild) V-8 swap, shouldn't be going off the deep end. And, it would kind of kill two birds with one stone and allow me to have a retro Porsche that handles well and is still light weight and a V-8 all wrapped up in one.

The point of this post? I'm still not convinced that it's not a "bull in a china shop". Does it retain the proper character of something you want to drive fast and have fun with on twisty back roads? Is the balance thrown off at all? Or should I just stop wasting my time going back and forth and commit to doing it?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 23 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Chris

I say take a drive down to socal and I can line up at least 3 V8 914s for you to evaluate, and possibly test drive. I don't have a V8 car now but I worked with Andy (Renegade founder) back in 83...I was one of his first V8 conversions.

Oscar
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 23 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #3

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Wow, what an offer from the kind, generous Oscar. After you have been in a V8 car or a 200 plus HP 914-6 it is never the same.

I had my 914 20 4 back in1979 and I had a 73 911s so I knew what a fast or at that time fast Porsche was like but when I bought a finish it off 914 V8 set up in a super deal that I could not turn away from. Anyway when I finished the V8 car (I was 26 or so) It was so fast I could not believe it and my 427-side pipe 64 Corvette buddy felt is was also so fast. Now his 427 Vette would pull you back in the seat when you where a passenger and I have been in lots of high torque cars. My car was a 283 with a 4-barrel. 200HP? Not much a compared to a 400 or so torque LS1 or hot 350SBC

There have been a number of cars that just needed to be finished or need what was to me no big deal back when I was young like 26.

My current v8 car I am very slowly building is a 4 speed Porsche 930 Turbo Trans With a 400 FP of torque aluminum head Corvette Eng., Boxster brakes, Bilstein rear, Koni up front, real leather seats, exhaust from a Ferrari 12 cylinder. I could go on and on but it’s not done.

There is a wrx turbo swap $10,500 on cars for sale here in the world that should be able to be finished off for not that much and you may even make some money on it. Depends what you do to it but with these higher horsepower cars but you will want to up grade the brakes and perhaps a bit more.

For me part of owning these hot rods is the excitement going from stoplight to stop light.

I think you need to pencil it out and compare and you may give it a try.

You may make some money if you do the work on it if you want to sell it if it does not do what you want it to do. I made a lot on my first 914-v8 Paid $3200 and put maybe had a total of $4500. With Primo Bk paint. This was 79 or so. Sold it for $11,500. I was very happy with that and I loved driving it and selling it.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Feb 23 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 23 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Another tempting swap is the Honda 60° V6, light weight at close to 300hp, kit to bolt to your transmission is about $1000 and the motors can be found all day for half of that price.

There are a few swapped cars on here with that motor.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 23 2018, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 23 2018, 08:07 PM) *

Chris

I say take a drive down to socal and I can line up at least 3 V8 914s for you to evaluate, and possibly test drive. I don't have a V8 car now but I worked with Andy (Renegade founder) back in 83...I was one of his first V8 conversions.

Oscar

Hey Oscar... we made the v8 block hugger headers for Andy, also the muffler kits that went along in the package. MSDS was on Rosemead Blvd, 1984-1999...small world !
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 24 2018, 12:12 AM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 23 2018, 09:19 PM) *

Another tempting swap is the Honda 60° V6, light weight at close to 300hp, kit to bolt to your transmission is about $1000 and the motors can be found all day for half of that price.

This would be a cool swap!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 24 2018, 01:12 AM
Post #8

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I understand the lack of love for the VW motor. I hate it too.

LS+Boxster 6 speed lovely package.
SBC weights a ton and changes the car noticeably. I used to work at Renegade and chose not to despite a nice discount. The Chevys are also a cooling nightmare. On the plus side it's cheap and easy.

You can get 300+ out of either the Subaru turbo swap or the Audi turbo plus a much more modern trans.

There are also 300 hp V6's out now and using a Kennedy adapter. Small and lightweight. Keeping the stock trans has it's benefits.
+Quote Post
djway
post Feb 24 2018, 02:37 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,266

The first 914 I ever purchased was with the intent to build a V8 conversion. That was 30 some years ago and I still really want to.
I would if I could.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 24 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

For a street-only-hot-rod the swap is a no brainer! I have described the end product with something factory-like - if Porsche had the balls and technology back in the day. Here is the catch though...you get out of a swap what you put into it and pinching pennies is not advised. If you have 15k to invest into the package plus your own labor - do it. If you are not THAT committed - I would suggest you do not move forward. Simple as that...

I would install a stock LS1 (300-350 hp) and stick with the fuel injection - the 901 will be perfectly happy with this engine combo as well. I hope you finally get off the fence and jump in head first. You will not regret it!

PS: One more thought...what makes the combo so amazingly enjoyable is the torque; horsepower is great but without the associated abundance of torque it is just like a six. The same goes for any other small displacement motor, new or old..

Tony
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 24 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I'm just completing a V8 conversion Andy first impression is this is a stop light to stop light car. Something like strapping a 200hp Mercury on a canoe. My Pet is a 914 with a Subaru 6. It still handles like a Porsche and has an honest 4.5 sec 0-60mph time. As mentioned above, if you go Subaru or Audi then you also upgrade to the respective stronger transmission and hydraulic clutch very easily and cheaply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
theer
post Feb 24 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

More power is a must, and absolutely addictive.

But do be aware that stock components will be stressed beyond their design... specifically brakes, transmission, CV's, and rear suspension, and should be considered for upgrade along with a substantial increase in power... and thus your first step down that slippery slope!

Conversions are complicated, with lots & lots of individual details. Fortunately, most if not all, have been solved over the years. I would add that "easily & cheaply" are relative terms.

Good luck with the decision. Not many here will try to talk you out of it!
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 24 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Like any project you have to set a budget, then add another 20% for the unknowns or fubars that will occur. Pencil out your cost and don’t forget to include work that may have to be out-sourced. If it is something that is affordable then DO IT.

FYI, I ran 10,000 over budget on my 3.2 conversion due to unknown rust issues and things I kept adding to the build because I saw things that others did and I had to have.

Good luck
+Quote Post
chrisg
post Feb 24 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 23 2018, 09:19 PM) *

Interesting. I hadn't run across that yet. The weight of the V-8 was one of my concerns. I'll have to search those out. I'm not really looking for mega hp, just reasonable low and mid range torque. And I kind of want to stay narrow body.

I have to say one of the appeals of the Chevy, be it a gen 1 or LS, is that it's been done so many times and there is a wealth of info to guide me to a reasonable end point. There are a lot of different swaps one can conjure up, but re-engineering too much just isn't my forte. I think that getting the fuel injection happy and working correctly is one of my bigger fears. I don't have a lot of knowledge on that front at this point and can see needing assistance in the end.

Having an end product that is saleable with an interested market is another thought, should I have an unforeseen need to part with it and not lose too much.

+Quote Post
chrisg
post Feb 24 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 24 2018, 07:14 AM) *

I'm just completing a V8 conversion Andy first impression is this is a stop light to stop light car. Something like strapping a 200hp Mercury on a canoe. My Pet is a 914 with a Subaru 6. It still handles like a Porsche and has an honest 4.5 sec 0-60mph time. As mentioned above, if you go Subaru or Audi then you also upgrade to the respective stronger transmission and hydraulic clutch very easily and cheaply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That's really what I don't want to wind up with. I think the pendulum swings back to again consider something lighter. As mentioned above, I think maybe I just need to overcome my fears of making the fi work on other swaps
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post Feb 24 2018, 10:16 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 29

Not to hijack the thread but if you decide the V8. I will soon have some parts for sale.
Going to a boxster 6 speed. Will be selling
1. 901 side shift transaxle flipped 3,4th, 1st removed and locked out, H-5th with 106 mm flanges
2. SBC to 901 adapter plate, flywheel, stage 2 clutch & p plate.
3. IMI high torque starter
4. extended shift rod
5. trans setback mounts

$800.00 plus shipping

Will be posting in for sale section soon

Thanks
David
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 24 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #17

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Hey Chris -

In the end, it all comes down to what makes you happy & what fits your budget. But make sure that you'll actually like the 914 in various resto-mod flavors by driving them first, since there's everything from built-up T-IVs up to 300+ HP, Subie 4s & 6s in the same ranges HP, Porsche flat-6s from all eras, & various V8s out there.

A tired &/or non-original 74-75 1.8 or 73 1.7 are good platforms for such shenanigans of modded 914s, such as yours with changes over the years.

So take Oscar up on his generous offer, & stop at CVS on your way down from Paso for some adult diapers, & go have fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
green914
post Feb 24 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 24 2018, 01:13 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Feb 24 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Not to hijack the thread but if you decide the V8. I will soon have some parts for sale.
1. 901 side shift transaxle flipped 3,4th, 1st removed and locked out, H-5th with 106 mm flanges
4. extended shift rod
5. trans setback mounts

$800.00 plus shipping

Thanks
David

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
This is a great buy! The regeared transaxle is worth the asking price alone.

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 24 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Feb 24 2018, 08:16 AM) *

4. extended shift rod
5. trans setback mounts

$800.00 plus shipping

Thanks
David

That would work with a Chevy 4.3 V6 correct? I think that would be good choice as well. Seen a few and the fit is near perfect due to the shorter block.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:55 PM