Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 conversion, still can't shake temptation
EdwardBlume
post Feb 24 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 23 2018, 09:19 PM) *

Another tempting swap is the Honda 60° V6, light weight at close to 300hp, kit to bolt to your transmission is about $1000 and the motors can be found all day for half of that price.

There are a few swapped cars on here with that motor.

If I ever get around to doing another one, it will likely be what Mike is talking about. One of the top 10 engines ever built, power and reliability, and dirt cheap.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 24 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 24 2018, 12:48 PM) *

Another tempting swap is the Honda 60° V6, light weight at close to 300hp, kit to bolt to your transmission is about $1000 and the motors can be found all day for half of that price.

If I ever get around to doing another one, it will likely be what Mike is talking about. One of the top 10 engines ever built, power and reliability, and dirt cheap.

Oh, and you should check out a V8 if you are so inclined... the positive is corvette like power and all that, but the down side is upsetting that weight balance and where. We ran circles around V8 914s at autocross, but life isn't autocross....
+Quote Post
zipedadoo
post Feb 24 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,921
Region Association: None

The thing I really dislike about the V8 swamp is the gear ratio, it's just too low. For my taste it would have to re-geared to take advantage of the small block torque. And thats a lot of $$$$

IMO Subaru is the way to go. Keeps the car closer to stock and even a 150 hp Subaru is light years ahead of the stock type 4.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 24 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 24 2018, 03:35 PM) *

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Feb 24 2018, 08:16 AM) *

Not to hijack the thread but if you decide the V8. I will soon have some parts for sale.
Going to a boxster 6 speed. Will be selling
1. 901 side shift transaxle flipped 3,4th, 1st removed and locked out, H-5th with 106 mm flanges
2. SBC to 901 adapter plate, flywheel, stage 2 clutch & p plate.
3. IMI high torque starter
4. extended shift rod
5. trans setback mounts

$800.00 plus shipping

Will be posting in for sale section soon

Thanks
David

That would work with a Chevy 4.3 V6 correct? I think that would be good choice as well. Seen a few and the fit is near perfect due to the shorter block.

It will if its for a 86 or newer SBC with a one peace rear main bearing seal. The Flywheels changed to a different bolt pattern with the change in 86. I think all 4.3 v6 have the newer bolt pattern.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Feb 24 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #25

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

The other thing to consider is driving style. The V8 will generally be a lower revving high torque motor that you can easily drive at lower RPM's without a lot of shifting. If you want to wind the engine up in every gear and enjoy driving at higher RPMs, an older V8 may not be the best choice.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 24 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I wonder about the "stoplight-to-stoplight" comments.
Tony (Cracker) seems to have proven that not to be the case at all - just check out the videos of him 911 hunting at Road Atlanta.

Also, based on what I've read/researched, an LS/Boxster is in the weight range of a /6 with a 915. Boxster S trans is about 175lb and a 915 AL case is about 150.

The LS3 is about 475 lb and a 3.2 is about the same.

Sure, the SBC is heavier but I'm just sayin'...
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 24 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

The OP asked about a v8 swap...I will stick to that and not a discussion of all the various alternatives available. Be careful what you read and even more so what you chose to believe. Misinformation is shared as fact as if it were the gospel. That's called driving an agenda...not a teener.

FWIW: My 914 has the same weight ratio as a Ferrari 458 but is ONE-THOIUSAND pounds lighter! I'd describe that as excellent company...ehh? I have to believe Ferrari could have made the 458's bias nearly anything they wanted. I am content.

Cracker
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 24 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #28

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 24 2018, 04:26 PM) *

The LS3 is about 475 lb and a 3.2 is about the same.

Sure, the SBC is heavier but I'm just sayin'...

Portly pigs...

My all aluminum V6 is 320lbs loaded and turns 7k. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 24 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #29

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

1st V8 conversion 914 I test drove had a bone stock 2 barrel carb'd all cast iron SBC from a wrecked station wagon. It was a hoot to drive and I guess it barely made 250hp.

I could feel the extra weight of it, but after awhile you get used to it. A yera later the owner swapped in a crate ZZ4(?) Aluminum head hot rod motor.

The car was even more fun to drive, however I felt it was getting to the point of too much for a fun street only car. Not many places you could just plant your foot all the way to floor and not worry about looping it or just plain being dangerous.

Be realistic with your budget, lots of little gotchas will cteep up when putting it all together.

+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 24 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #30

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have owned Five V8 powered 914s. I loved each and everyone of them. Lots of power and torque.
I purchased each one already done ready to drive.. there might have been a few minor things to modify or finish. The nice thing was I was able to get in and drive them. I didn’t spend a lot of time or money to assemble them to then discover, this really isn’t for me.
There have recently been some very nice v8 914s listed for sale on this forum, and I’m sure there may be others on other for sale sites.
If you are given the chance to drive a v8 914, jump on it. It will be time we’ll spent, and it will make the desire to own one of these cars even stronger.
The ones that I owned, I paid about half of the build cost. So when I sold them I made some profit, but it was the fact that I actually owned and was able to drive a v8 powered 914 that was the most satisfying.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
chrisg
post Feb 24 2018, 09:30 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,455

[quote name='Mueller' date='Feb 24 2018, 05:25 PM' post='2582799']
1st V8 conversion 914 I test drove had a bone stock 2 barrel carb'd all cast iron SBC from a wrecked station wagon. It was a hoot to drive and I guess it barely made 250hp.

I could feel the extra weight of it, but after awhile you get used to it. [quote

This was my thinking when I started considering the V-8 again. Nothing with crazy hp, just a nice torquey, low stressed package. And I totally understand the "you get used to it" about the weight. I'm beginning to think I really wouldn't find it that disagreeable especially being where it is placed. I can totally relate to that description. It's also kind of why I don't think a gen1 sbc & re-geared 901 wouldn't be a bad way to go. It's a way to start on a smaller budget and upgrade as time and budget allow.

name='boxstr' date='Feb 24 2018, 05:33 PM' post='2582802']
I have owned Five V8 powered 914s. I loved each and everyone of them. Lots of power and torque.
..........., but it was the fact that I actually owned and was able to drive a v8 powered 914 that was the most satisfying.
Craig at CAMP
[/quote]

Just adding fuel to the fire! Thanks Craig.
+Quote Post
post Feb 24 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #32

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495

Do all water-cooled engines eliminate the utility of the front trunk? For me the two trunks has always been a charming feature of the 914. Maybe I'd forget all that if I drove a converted one though.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 24 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 21,793

I get rather annoyed at the V8 == Chevy V8.
There are a whole lot of other V8 engines made.

As I see it, the key of a V8 is the noise it makes. If that is what you want to hear when driving the car, then just do it.
If you are looking for HP or Torque, there other other options.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 24 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 24 2018, 08:22 PM) *

Do all water-cooled engines eliminate the utility of the front trunk? For me the two trunks has always been a charming feature of the 914. Maybe I'd forget all that if I drove a converted one though.

Yes would be the answer. I have seen few radiator's done that still left a little space. Really not much to realistically use it. There is space behind my fans in my front trunk. If I use it I screw with my airflow. So small things are okay. Do something big & I'll have some heat issues. Air has to go somewhere.

There have been plenty of radiator discussions. Bottom line is the front is the best spot for the radiator with the most flow. It believe it is possible to do it in a way that will work & still leave you your front trunk. Just not sure it is worth all the extra effort to try as it isn't a given.

I had a Buick 215 v8 conversion & it is tough to beat the sound of a v8 with a 4 barrel carb. I would take my subaru conversion over my buick 215 every day & twice on sunday. I did get the chance to drive an ls1 conversion. An LS conversion with a Boxter trans I would be hard pressed to say no to. The power is insane but you can drive it as tame as you like & have no complaints. So in my opinion I love Subaru conversions. If I had to choose between an old SBC & a subaru conversion. I would take the subaru. If I had to choose between the subaru & an LS conversion with a BoxsterS tranny. I would take the LS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 24 2018, 11:52 PM
Post #35

914 Freak!

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 24 2018, 08:25 PM) *

I get rather annoyed at the V8 == Chevy V8.
There are a whole lot of other V8 engines made.

As I see it, the key of a V8 is the noise it makes. If that is what you want to hear when driving the car, then just do it.
If you are looking for HP or Torque, there other other options.

A few of the 1st companies to make V8 conversions used Chevys. Nobody made a kit for a SBF as far as I know.

Adapters are available for many other V8 motors it just is easier for many to do one stop shopping for support.

The V8 I would like to see in a 914 is the Yamaha designed and built 60° V8 motor used in the Volvo V8 cars in the early 2000's, super sweet sounding motor. I test drove one of the sedans they come in and kept the windows down the entire time.
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 25 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 21,793

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 24 2018, 09:52 PM) *

..The V8 I would like to see in a 914 is the Yamaha designed and built 60° V8 motor used in the Volvo V8 cars in the early 2000's, super sweet sounding motor. I test drove one of the sedans they come in and kept the windows down the entire time.

I have a Ford SHO v8 similiar but only 3.4L, it is slated for my jetboat, as I like to hear that noise since the boat is mostly run at full throttle.
This weighs only 325lbs, it is rather conservatively rated at 235hp.

I also have the all-aluminum Audi 4.2L V8, and that might be easier to put in a 914 because it mates with an Audi transaxle already. 300hp.

But sure if someone sells a complete package to put whatever in, and one doesn't have the desire or skill to fab their own, it makes sense to go with the package.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 26 2018, 10:45 AM
Post #37

914 Freak!

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 25 2018, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 24 2018, 09:52 PM) *

..The V8 I would like to see in a 914 is the Yamaha designed and built 60° V8 motor used in the Volvo V8 cars in the early 2000's, super sweet sounding motor. I test drove one of the sedans they come in and kept the windows down the entire time.

I have a Ford SHO v8 similiar but only 3.4L, it is slated for my jetboat, as I like to hear that noise since the boat is mostly run at full throttle.
This weighs only 325lbs, it is rather conservatively rated at 235hp.

I also have the all-aluminum Audi 4.2L V8, and that might be easier to put in a 914 because it mates with an Audi transaxle already. 300hp.

But sure if someone sells a complete package to put whatever in, and one doesn't have the desire or skill to fab their own, it makes sense to go with the package.

^ You are a sick individual.... I like it!

I have an extra Boxster/Passat 5 speed and I keep looking at those Audi V8's on craigslist, nice and short and fairly inexpensive. What worries me is the price for a proper flywheel setup since I think most are automatics.

I forgot about the Ford version of that Yamaha motor, about 2 years ago a dealer was selling 4 or 5 brand new NOS complete motors on eBay for like a grand or so. I should have bought one. Just checked ebay, 3 NOS shortblocks for $500 each, too bad no shipping only local pickup
+Quote Post
Fatboy007
post Feb 26 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 21,124
Region Association: Southern California

Dang that's a bunch '0 power I'm looking into a V6 myself should be just enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Fatboy007
post Feb 26 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 24 2018, 11:22 PM) *

I'm with you..I love dat two trunk set up.. perfect for all my wife stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Fatboy007
post Feb 26 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 24 2018, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 24 2018, 12:48 PM) *

Oh, and you should check out a V8 if you are so inclined... the positive is corvette like power and all that, but the down side is upsetting that weight balance and where. We ran circles around V8 914s at autocross, but life isn't autocross....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:17 PM