Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 conversion, still can't shake temptation
Andyrew
post Feb 26 2018, 01:05 PM
Post #41

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 24 2018, 08:22 PM) *

Do all water-cooled engines eliminate the utility of the front trunk? For me the two trunks has always been a charming feature of the 914. Maybe I'd forget all that if I drove a converted one though.

With a small enough engine you can get away with a really small radiator in the front. Or there have been a small few that keep it in the engine bay.

I set my radiator as far forward as I could with the intent of shrouding it and leaving about half the factory trunk. Havent shrouded it yet but its 100% doable. This is for a 1.8L that is NOT lacking in power, however displacement is directly related to radiator size requirement.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 26 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #42

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 26 2018, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 25 2018, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 24 2018, 09:52 PM) *

..The V8 I would like to see in a 914 is the Yamaha designed and built 60° V8 motor used in the Volvo V8 cars in the early 2000's, super sweet sounding motor. I test drove one of the sedans they come in and kept the windows down the entire time.

I have a Ford SHO v8 similiar but only 3.4L, it is slated for my jetboat, as I like to hear that noise since the boat is mostly run at full throttle.
This weighs only 325lbs, it is rather conservatively rated at 235hp.

I also have the all-aluminum Audi 4.2L V8, and that might be easier to put in a 914 because it mates with an Audi transaxle already. 300hp.

But sure if someone sells a complete package to put whatever in, and one doesn't have the desire or skill to fab their own, it makes sense to go with the package.

^ You are a sick individual.... I like it!

I have an extra Boxster/Passat 5 speed and I keep looking at those Audi V8's on craigslist, nice and short and fairly inexpensive. What worries me is the price for a proper flywheel setup since I think most are automatics.

I forgot about the Ford version of that Yamaha motor, about 2 years ago a dealer was selling 4 or 5 brand new NOS complete motors on eBay for like a grand or so. I should have bought one. Just checked ebay, 3 NOS shortblocks for $500 each, too bad no shipping only local pickup

For the flywheel look at what the B5 A4 guys are doing that v8 swap. LOADS of those out there. I think I have seen 4 or 5 write up on them on audizine. I cant remember what the solution was but I believe it was simple.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 26 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(zipedadoo @ Feb 24 2018, 12:51 PM) *

The thing I really dislike about the V8 swamp is the gear ratio, it's just too low. For my taste it would have to re-geared to take advantage of the small block torque. And thats a lot of $$$$

IMO Subaru is the way to go. Keeps the car closer to stock and even a 150 hp Subaru is light years ahead of the stock type 4.

I'm not well versed in other conversions. But I am doing a subaru swap in my off-road car now. There are a lot of companies out there with supporting parts and electronics for this swap. These motors are getting popular in the old vw's. I do believe this is a good 914 swap, the motor also sounds very appropriate.

Also an na 2.5L can easily be setup for 200hp (since they will not have a cat and aftermarket ecu). A turbo version can be 300-400hp depending on what combo you do. Also they are a very cheap, light weight and well designed motor.

Check out this motor matrix, some combos require 105 octane but you can lower that if you do lower compression wrx pistons- https://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/offroad...ru-motor-matrix
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 26 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #44

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 26 2018, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(zipedadoo @ Feb 24 2018, 12:51 PM) *

The thing I really dislike about the V8 swamp is the gear ratio, it's just too low. For my taste it would have to re-geared to take advantage of the small block torque. And thats a lot of $$$$

IMO Subaru is the way to go. Keeps the car closer to stock and even a 150 hp Subaru is light years ahead of the stock type 4.

I'm not well versed in other conversions. But I am doing a subaru swap in my off-road car now. There are a lot of companies out there with supporting parts and electronics for this swap. These motors are getting popular in the old vw's. I do believe this is a good 914 swap, the motor also sounds very appropriate.

Also an na 2.5L can easily be setup for 200hp (since they will not have a cat and aftermarket ecu). A turbo version can be 300-400hp depending on what combo you do. Also they are a very cheap, light weight and well designed motor.

Check out this motor matrix, some combos require 105 octane but you can lower that if you do lower compression wrx pistons- https://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/offroad...ru-motor-matrix

This place is well known and well respected...if anyone comes to check this place out let me know...I live 5 min away.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Oscar

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 26 2018, 04:47 PM
Post #45

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 26 2018, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 26 2018, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 25 2018, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 24 2018, 09:52 PM) *

..The V8 I would like to see in a 914 is the Yamaha designed and built 60° V8 motor used in the Volvo V8 cars in the early 2000's, super sweet sounding motor. I test drove one of the sedans they come in and kept the windows down the entire time.

I have a Ford SHO v8 similiar but only 3.4L, it is slated for my jetboat, as I like to hear that noise since the boat is mostly run at full throttle.
This weighs only 325lbs, it is rather conservatively rated at 235hp.

I also have the all-aluminum Audi 4.2L V8, and that might be easier to put in a 914 because it mates with an Audi transaxle already. 300hp.

But sure if someone sells a complete package to put whatever in, and one doesn't have the desire or skill to fab their own, it makes sense to go with the package.

^ You are a sick individual.... I like it!

I have an extra Boxster/Passat 5 speed and I keep looking at those Audi V8's on craigslist, nice and short and fairly inexpensive. What worries me is the price for a proper flywheel setup since I think most are automatics.

I forgot about the Ford version of that Yamaha motor, about 2 years ago a dealer was selling 4 or 5 brand new NOS complete motors on eBay for like a grand or so. I should have bought one. Just checked ebay, 3 NOS shortblocks for $500 each, too bad no shipping only local pickup

For the flywheel look at what the B5 A4 guys are doing that v8 swap. LOADS of those out there. I think I have seen 4 or 5 write up on them on audizine. I cant remember what the solution was but I believe it was simple.

Looks like lots of them use this
https://store.034motorsport.com/flywheel-in...8-aluminum.html

I would bet someone with CAD and a CNC could probably reverse engineer this...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 26 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #46

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 26 2018, 02:47 PM) *

Heck, I might even have an extra friction surface like shown in the picture. Thanks, I will keep that in mind in case I go that route.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 26 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #47

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 26 2018, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 26 2018, 02:47 PM) *

Heck, I might even have an extra friction surface like shown in the picture. Thanks, I will keep that in mind in case I go that route.

Further research shows that depending on the engine a stock v6 clutch might work... More research is needed...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.p...l=1#post6901025
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 26 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 21,793

I've done a lot of research to put the Audi v8 in my corvair with the 944S transaxle.
The flywheel is a major issue, but you can make your own setup like 034 does, just take the audi flexplate and use a VR6 flywheel in front of it with the teeth machined off and the mounting holes tweaked, and then get it balanced and use the VR6 clutch.
The flexplate is used for the teeth for the starter.

Modifying the 944S transaxle is another project too, but don't need to do that with an audi/boxster/vw 5 speed transaxle.

I have decided to just go with an automatic, aka 'tiptronic', 5hp19 transaxle I got with the engine.
+Quote Post
post Feb 27 2018, 12:52 AM
Post #49

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 26 2018, 09:57 PM) *

I've done a lot of research to put the Audi v8 in my corvair with the 944S transaxle.
The flywheel is a major issue, but you can make your own setup like 034 does, just take the audi flexplate and use a VR6 flywheel in front of it with the teeth machined off and the mounting holes tweaked, and then get it balanced and use the VR6 clutch.

Modifying the 944S transaxle is another project too, but don't need to do that with an audi/boxster/vw 5 speed transaxle.

I have decided to just go with an automatic, aka 'tiptronic', 5hp19 transaxle I got with the engine.

I've thoroughly lost track of what kind of car you have!
+Quote Post
nimblemotorsports
post Feb 27 2018, 02:42 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 21,793

QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 26 2018, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 26 2018, 09:57 PM) *

I've thoroughly lost track of what kind of car you have!

lol, i have 15 of them...
This is the most unusual one I have (which I built)
Don't want to hijack the thread, it doesn't have a V8

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.nimblemotorsports.com-21793-1519720948.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Feb 27 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Is there a build thread somewhere for that? :-)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 27 2018, 09:37 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

How does it turn??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Tony

QUOTE(nimblemotorsports @ Feb 27 2018, 03:42 AM) *

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 27 2018, 02:20 PM
Post #53

Spooling.... Please wait

Is it an EV? We NEED more details on it!
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Feb 28 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 15,718

I run a all aluminum 5.3l with ls1 intake coils and injectors,motor unknown junk yard motor with cut factory wiring harness.80 thousand miles on motor I think the boxster S 6 speed trans has 120k.
Super reliable and the power is smooth and strong 330hp at wheels I'm 5300 ft above sea level.Open diff.

Car has fully built chassis and suspension.

I love it, the hydro clutch and cable shift transmission is wonderful to drive.

Only down sides I've run into are gearing is a little high but I run 205 50 15's on 17's it would be better.Not a issue if you keep it under 130 lol.

Good luck in your decision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_3Cec_meo

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 01:28 AM